GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,004
2 members and 1,002 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
For some reason today I went back and re-read the letter from the school offering me a job. In one of the paragraphs, it says that "the college will apply for the appropriate Tier 2 work visa on your behalf."

I wish I had registered that months ago- it would have saved me so much worry. This also explains why they wanted to know the earliest date I would be in the country, so I could come by to get "the security process started." They need my fingerprints.

If I am reading this correctly, then I won't have to wait for the work visa and can go over as early this summer as I want to. The work visa will be applied for once I arrive, and the school will have people to handle it. Phew!!!

I probably should have read that much more carefully the first time!

Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Lah lah lah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The school's business manager emailed me a Visa ID# - the school successfully applied for and was granted my Work Visa! I will fly over on July 5, attend a rugby dinner with my friends on Saturday, and report to the school for Induction on July 10.

Whoot whoot!!!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
Lah lah lah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The school's business manager emailed me a Visa ID# - the school successfully applied for and was granted my Work Visa! I will fly over on July 5, attend a rugby dinner with my friends on Saturday, and report to the school for Induction on July 10.

Whoot whoot!!!!!
Congratulations!! Big day indeed.

Hope you'll keep us posted on your new adventure - best wishes for a successful move!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Best wishes for a successful move!

True and Constant
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This week has been super crazy. Last Friday, I arrived in the UK after a harrowing connection in Toronto. I handed over my passport and boarding card to the Immigration fellow. He read that I was arriving in the UK for work, and asked for my Visa. I told him that it was attached electronically to my passport. He said that no, that's not how it works, and put me aside in a holding area.

I spent the day in the detention area while they called the school to figure out what was going on. So.....the school thought they HAD applied for my Work Visa, but they had only gotten my Certificate of Sponsorship. I showed Immigration the offer letter from the school, the emails they had sent me telling me that they had gotten the Visa, and the Visa number they had sent to me.

After sitting there all day (without any personal possessions, in a room with people who WERE actually trying to get into the country illegally), I was released on Immigration Bail and given one week in the country to try to get everything straight. I am being deported on Friday of this week. They determined that I had not used deception, that it was an honest mistake on both my part and the school. I am not banned from the country!!!!!!!

The UK taxpayer is footing the bill for my ticket to my "country of origin." I will then file for the Visa while int he US, and return in August. The Immigration officer also pointed out that even if I had gotten the Visa, I'm not allowed to enter the country until 14 days prior to the first day of my contract- which is Sept 1.

I went to the Club on Saturday to watch the England soccer game with my friends. By the end of the game, everyone in the club knew that I was being deported and wanted to meet me!!! I was the local curiosity that day. When I went to New Teacher Orientation at the school on Tuesday, the principal called me into her office to make sure that I was OK, because she was concerned I was traumatized. I assured her that I will be fine, and am excited to be here.

The school is amazing, the other teachers are so friendly, and the students are super-cute in their white shirts, ties and black crested blazers. I can't wait to actually get started!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

tcsparky Wow...just wow. I can't even imagine how scary that was to wonder if you could get in and then stay, to be put in a holding area and have to be in the "unknown." I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like someone/some office didn't inform you correctly about how soon you could arrive before the job started.

At least you've got all that out of the way and have time to relax before you head over to start teaching. It all sounds so exciting and do keep us posted!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes wow, oh wow!! Given all of the issues you've certainly handled yourself with a lot of grace and dignity!! Good for you that you're taking it all in stride. I think if it were me I would have been traumatized but at least now you know so should someone else in your circle decide to move there for work you can some impart some hard earned wisdom.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

And moving forward!!!

I have now received the FBI Background check, and have paid the NHS fee and the VISA Application fee. As part of the process, I have to appear in person at an official Application Center. Luckily, there is one near me, just over the river in Memphis! The earliest appointment available at the Application Center is next Monday, 30 July. There, they will take my biometrics and check over my documentation.

If everything is in order, then I will overnight the application and documentation to the UK Embassy in New York. The application site says it takes about 3 weeks to process, and then they will overnight it back to me. I will receive a notification email when it is completed and on the way to me. As the appointment for the Application Center is so late in the month, I may not get my passport and Visa back until mid-August or later.

Now, that isn't so much of a problem, because school doesn't start until Sept 3. However, I would like to have a few weeks to get settled in, collaborate with other teachers on lesson plans, get my classroom set up, go shopping for school clothes...... And maybe spend some time at the beach!

Really, I'm just anxious to be there and have this whole process over with.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Argh! Double Argh!!!!!

I got an email about my Visa application from the office processing it. The email stated that while Visa applications normally process in 15 days, since mine is "complex," it may take longer.

I can't email or call to ask questions. This is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tcsparky; 08-08-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Commas
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Argh! Double Argh!!!!!

I got an email about my Visa application from the office processing it. The email stated that while Visa applications normally process in 15 days, since mine is "complex," it may take longer.

I can't email or call to ask questions. This is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tcsparky, I can only imagine the frustration....and did they say what it is that makes your application "complex"?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

NYCMS!
No, they did not. And, there is no phone number or email address that I can use to contact them. In fact, the email says to NOT make contact about my application. Frustrating!!!!!!

Dear applicant,

UKVI in New York processes all straightforward visa applications within 15 working days. However, your case is considered to be complex, so the processing time for your visa application may extend past the normal 15 working days.

We will continue to process your application as quickly as possible, and UKVI will provide you with an update every 15 business days. We will notify you immediately when your application has been completed.

Regrettably, we cannot respond to status enquiries, so please do not make any travel arrangements until you receive your documents back. We appreciate your patience as we continue to process your application.

Sincerely,

UK Visas and Immigration

Last edited by tcsparky; 08-11-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, it is pretty standard bureaucracy for here. I applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residency) and did not get my passport/biometric card until end of April. This is with the corporate firm reviewing all the documentation before it was submitted to make sure it was complete. I could not leave the country for 5 months.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my!!!!! School starts in three weeks. I hope they don't take that long! I quit my US job in June, moved out of my house, and am staying with my sister while waiting for the Visa. Yi yi yi!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

And success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I received the following email from the UK Embassy today, and booked my one-way ticket to London for this weekend!!

Dear applicant,

We are pleased to inform you that your visa application has been successful. Your visa will now be placed in your passport and returned to you.

-For standard and Priority Service visa applications lodged in the USA, your documents will be returned using the prepaid waybill you provided with your application.

The package containing your documents will be dispatched from New York either this afternoon or the afternoon of the next business day. If you did not submit a prepaid waybill when you submitted your application, your application cannot be returned until you have provided VFS Global with an appropriate waybill.

-If you have purchased Super Priority Service or the Silver or Gold Premium packages, the Premium Application Centre (PAC) will contact you shortly. Please do not visit the PAC until VFS Global contact you to confirm your documents are ready for collection.

Sincerely,

UK Visas and Immigration
New York
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I received the following email from the UK Embassy today, and booked my one-way ticket to London for this weekend!!

Dear applicant,

We are pleased to inform you that your visa application has been successful. Your visa will now be placed in your passport and returned to you.

-For standard and Priority Service visa applications lodged in the USA, your documents will be returned using the prepaid waybill you provided with your application.

The package containing your documents will be dispatched from New York either this afternoon or the afternoon of the next business day. If you did not submit a prepaid waybill when you submitted your application, your application cannot be returned until you have provided VFS Global with an appropriate waybill.

-If you have purchased Super Priority Service or the Silver or Gold Premium packages, the Premium Application Centre (PAC) will contact you shortly. Please do not visit the PAC until VFS Global contact you to confirm your documents are ready for collection.

Sincerely,

UK Visas and Immigration
New York
It's worth your double-post for your good news!!

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.