GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,028
1 members and 1,027 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep mine updated, but other than accepting requests, it doesn't see any activity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys for your responses.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

For a job search I would say it's a MUST. For other stuff I don't know that it's all that valuable. But I try to keep it current and make the occasional post or comment just so that people remember me when they think of using a travel agent. I also have sent out promotional emails to my entire list a couple times. No sales yet as a result, but my goal is to remind people I'm there.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

One time LinkedIn told me that knight_shadow had looked at my profile. We have no common connections.

I do use it - I'm trying to put a contractor pool together for a project I'm working on and I've been poking about people's profiles a little bit. I need to update mine, though, it's a little out of date.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
One time LinkedIn told me that knight_shadow had looked at my profile. We have no common connections.

I do use it - I'm trying to put a contractor pool together for a project I'm working on and I've been poking about people's profiles a little bit. I need to update mine, though, it's a little out of date.
One time, LinkedIn told me that agzg was a person that I may know. We have no common connections.

#Illuminati

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you guys reminded me to update my profile.

The only thing I can think is that we have some kind of cookie in our browser that says "these nerds like SPSS and should therefore totes be besties."
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Though I'm in music/academia and that's not quite LinkedIn's niche, I've found it useful so far--someone found my website through it and, ultimately, that led to new project opportunity for me. I don't think this is the norm though.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been on LinkedIn for years (free account). I interviewed with my current company 3 years ago for a job that was beneath my skillset, but it provided an opportunity to get my foot in the door. That job went to someone else, but I connected with my interviewer via LinkedIn and asked her to keep me in mind for similar opportunities. A year later she contacted me about a new position they were creating--my current job, which is truly my dream job. I doubt my boss would've taken the time to track me down without the LinkedIn connection, so I'm definitely a believer!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
One time, LinkedIn told me that agzg was a person that I may know. We have no common connections.

#Illuminati

LOLz
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a huge user of LinkedIn. I have used to secure jobs. Also, I keep my network up to date.
It is important to realize to not only keep contacts but also join groups. You can learn so much from industry groups.

Also, remember networking is about giving. You give more than you take. Like karma, it comes around.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a free account that I check from time to time. Hoping to utilize it more, but haven't really had much luck.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I use LinkedIn (free account) and it's a great way to network. It's how I got my current job! A former co-worker connected with me on LinkedIn a few years ago. We would go out to lunch or dinner when he was in town and I asked "Next time there's a job opening in LA, consider me". A few months later, I was hired WITHOUT HAVING TO INTERVIEW!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The job I currently have? The recruiter found me on LinkedIn. I was unhappy where I was, but was too busy and too stressed to think about another job search. But then about 2 years ago, some guy reached out to me with a position description and asked if we could chat. And I'm super happy I did.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Just came back from a job interview yesterday where in the hiring manager's office I could see my profile was up. He didn't even hide that he was using it, he would pull it up and ask me about some things that weren't on my resume.

What I like about it is that you can include more descriptions than your resume. My resume is tailored to get through automatic searches that robots and not people do (so I utilize power verbs even when a shorter one would be fine). LinkedIn is nice because you can apply for the job and you don't have to attach anything but a cover letter because they just get your profile sent to them and it isn't weird then to have more than a page's worth of resume because it's not a print out.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I've gotten approached about a couple interesting jobs through LinkedIn. Unfortunately, the suburban sprawl that is Southern California means just because it's in the metro doesn't mean it's reachable without moving. Or teleportation.