GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 317,232
Threads: 115,890
Welcome to our newest member, aevealittle5718
» Online Users: 473
3 members and 470 guests
AOIIalum, llineslitting, sbulnesmonte

Old 10-23-2020, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
My back yard is full of maple leaves and I don't have a single maple tree. I feel like I'm doing someone else's clean-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Somehow, we have the house where all of the leaves on our street end up. I feel your pain.
The house across the street has Fall leaves that not only look beautiful while still ON their tree, each leaf is individually gorgeous when picked up to preserve after it falls onto our front lawn.

Only beef with leaves is when rain makes street drains clog with gunky, leafy mud that we must remove (covid-related budget cuts to city street sweeping of leaves).
Old 10-24-2020, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
The house across the street has Fall leaves that not only look beautiful while still ON their tree, each leaf is individually gorgeous when picked up to preserve after it falls onto our front lawn.

Only beef with leaves is when rain makes street drains clog with gunky, leafy mud that we must remove (covid-related budget cuts to city street sweeping of leaves).
Even though the city will start picking up leaves raked to the curb on Monday, my neighborhood is snooty and frown upon people putting their leaves on the curb. We aren't permitted to put them in the trash and most of the neighbors dump them in vacant lots at the bottom of the hill, which is technically ILLEGAL.

I put mine at the curb regardless of the whispers of some of the neighbors. There is nothing in our HOA bylaws that says we can't. I know their beef is they do look messy and if we get a dry spell, the currently wet leaves will dry and blow to the east and downhill (I live at the top of the hill).

But then again, they are not leaves from my trees that have fallen in my back yard and if I don't pick them up, they will mat down the grass and cause fungus to spread, and become muck. I only have pine trees in the back and I use those needles as around my hydrangeas to turn the flowers blue.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Even though the city will start picking up leaves raked to the curb on Monday, my neighborhood is snooty and frown upon people putting their leaves on the curb.
Ha! Thanks for the yearly reminder. Our area has five towns some consider snooty that ALL rake leaves into the street at the curb. It's a challenge to park on their streets in Fall without parking on a big hill of leaves. I dont believe any of the five towns frown upon their messy tradition, either.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:53 AM

And here comes Hurricane Zeta.

New Orleans is once again in the dreaded cone of uncertainty. At present, it looks like Zeta will hit New Orleans as a Cat 1 hurricane.

Good job I just stocked up on water. And cat food. And booze.

It's starting to get to the point where, whenever I see a hurricane forecast, the Greek Alphabet Song starts to go through my brain...
Old 10-27-2020, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Ha! Thanks for the yearly reminder. Our area has five towns some consider snooty that ALL rake leaves into the street at the curb. It's a challenge to park on their streets in Fall without parking on a big hill of leaves. I dont believe any of the five towns frown upon their messy tradition, either.
The city vacuumed up the leaves this morning in our neighborhood. Not many of the houses had raked their leaves to the curb and with the rain that we had, none blew downhill. There will be a second pick-up in November so whatever leaves that they neighbors still have in their trees will be in my lawn in 2 weeks.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
And here comes Hurricane Zeta.

New Orleans is once again in the dreaded cone of uncertainty. At present, it looks like Zeta will hit New Orleans as a Cat 1 hurricane.

Good job I just stocked up on water. And cat food. And booze.

It's starting to get to the point where, whenever I see a hurricane forecast, the Greek Alphabet Song starts to go through my brain...
I thought of you when I saw that Zeta was heading your way
Old 10-27-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I thought of you when I saw that Zeta was heading your way
I appreciate it

Right now we're under a hurricane warning, and Zeta is forecast to make landfall tomorrow as a Cat 1. I've been through a Cat 1 and a few tropical storms since moving to New Orleans, and it wasn't a huge problem - I just stayed home, curled up with my cat, had a couple of drinks, and watched some TV. I'll probably do the same thing this time, except that the number of cats has doubled.

I'm very glad Laura and Delta missed us, but I feel awful for the folks in Lake Charles. They got slammed twice.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I appreciate it

Right now we're under a hurricane warning, and Zeta is forecast to make landfall tomorrow as a Cat 1. I've been through a Cat 1 and a few tropical storms since moving to New Orleans, and it wasn't a huge problem - I just stayed home, curled up with my cat, had a couple of drinks, and watched some TV. I'll probably do the same thing this time, except that the number of cats has doubled.

I'm very glad Laura and Delta missed us, but I feel awful for the folks in Lake Charles. They got slammed twice.
It's been upgraded to Cat 2. Will be watching here and on Facebook for posts from you. Stay safe!