GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,182
0 members and 2,182 guests
No Members online

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Asking girls if they want to COB, without coming on too strong?

My chapter decided to take a few COBs this semester, and we were told to email the recruitment chair really soon with names of girls who are interested and who we think would be a good fit.

There's a girl in one of my classes who I think would honestly be perfect. She's a freshman, and I know she didn't go through recruitment because she isn't on the mass-rosters we all got. I don't really know her well at all, but she's one of those people who you can tell just from meeting is a genuinely kind person. Like when you're talking to a PNM during recruitment, and even though you only talk to her for 3 minutes you see something special in her and just know you NEED her in your house. She's super sweet, has a kind of poise about her, and is one of those girls who is very pretty but either doesn't know or doesn't care.

I'm doing a group project with her, along with 2 other girls. We all met up for an hour today to work on the project, and the whole time I was just thinking "I want her in my house!"

But since I don't really know her well I don't want to be too forward in asking her about COBing. I don't want to make things awkward. Maybe she doesn't like sororities? Or can't afford one? And I don't want to come on too strong and have her think "uhhh, what? i barely know you!" Any ideas?

Last edited by ringojackson; 03-27-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

See if she wants to have lunch or coffee after class and just bring up your sorority in conversation. Ask if she has ever thought about joining a sorority. Get a feeling for whether she might be interested and if so, let her know you'd like to submit her name to the recruitment chair, then follow up with your recruitment chair.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was a sophomore (after having a disappointing rush experience as a freshman), a friend that I got to know from the college choir approached me about COB after choir practice, but I didn't even realize that it was COB. She just said, "My sorority is making s'mores in our dorm tomorrow night. Could I come pick you up? It will be fun." That was it! She came to my dorm and walked me over. We had a great time! It was totally low key and didn't feel like I was being "recruited" at all.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post
When I was a sophomore (after having a disappointing rush experience as a freshman), a friend that I got to know from the college choir approached me about COB after choir practice, but I didn't even realize that it was COB. She just said, "My sorority is making s'mores in our dorm tomorrow night. Could I come pick you up? It will be fun." That was it! She came to my dorm and walked me over. We had a great time! It was totally low key and didn't feel like I was being "recruited" at all.
THIS is the way you do it.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Allow me to swerve into your lane a little bit. COBing is much more like the sort of recruitment fraternities do outside of your top schools where formal recruitment fills the roster. You might not want to be so direct until you learn her real reason for not rushing.

The NIC has a 5-step model for individual recruitment: 1) Meet [her]; 2) Make [her] a friend; 3) Introduce [her] to your friends; 4) Introduce [her] to your [sorority]; 5) Ask [her] to join.

It sounds like you're sort of in the middle of step 2. How you likely joined and how you're attempting to recruit this lady are two very different paths. She may not understand the benefits of Greek life, so as Louisa says, it's best if she just not know you're recruiting her at all. Don't bring up the whole sorority thing until she's had an opportunity to see and experience how your sorority has benefited you. You don't have to draw her a picture, she'll see it for herself. Once she's had that opportunity to see how it's benefited you and you've introduced her to a few of your sisters, then you can start addressing directly the benefits of Greek Life, give her a house tour, show her how it's so much better living in your sorority house than the dorms, then if your chapter is willing, let her know she's got a bid and close the deal.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

While the lane swerve isn't EXACTLY on target, it does provide a nice framework from which to make a personal plan. COB is (I think) still more organized than some fraternities' informal rush, so she will be invited to a party of sorts. Having her show up to an evening hanging out with friends and then somehow getting a bid can be as awkward as giving the hard sell up front.

I'd rephrase #3 as Invite her to a COB event to meet sisters and 4-explain the virtues of membership. There's no point in giving the hard sell of #4 if she doesn't pass #3 AND it won't overwhelm her too early if you do it in this order.

If you invite her over as a meeting friends kind of thing (#3) and she asks more questions, then her interest merits you jumping ahead to #4 even before the party.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaMay View Post

I didn't even realize that it was COB. She just said, "My sorority is making s'mores in our dorm tomorrow night. Could I come pick you up? It will be fun." That was it! She came to my dorm and walked me over.

Excellent (IMHO) ! That way the woman being COB'd didn't have to find the sorority dorm on her own, and didn't have to worry about "making an entrance" on her own, either.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
I didn't even realize that it was COB. She just said, "My sorority is making s'mores in our dorm tomorrow night. Could I come pick you up? It will be fun." That was it! She came to my dorm and walked me over.

Excellent (IMHO) ! That way the woman being COB'd didn't have to find the sorority dorm on her own, and didn't have to worry about "making an entrance" on her own, either.
This is so important. When I was advising a colony that was doing some COB, I stressed that someone ALWAYS pick up the guest AND take her back to her dorm/apartment. No need to make them start out feeling awkward by arriving at an event by herself! Plus you can use the time in transport to create a bond with the girl and put her at ease.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
While the lane swerve isn't EXACTLY on target, it does provide a nice framework from which to make a personal plan. COB is (I think) still more organized than some fraternities' informal rush, so she will be invited to a party of sorts. Having her show up to an evening hanging out with friends and then somehow getting a bid can be as awkward as giving the hard sell up front.
As someone who only COBed, and learned the hard way the best way to do it, I wouldn't agree with this point entirely. Yes, for the most part, sorority informal recruitment is more "formal" than fraternity informal recruitment, but the way to recruit best is actually very similar. Especially in a situation such as this.

Because the OP knows nothing of the PNM's interest (or lack thereof), befriending her is key. The sorority can wait. Introducing her to members outside of an official sorority event puts less pressure on the PNM and makes the possible transition to membership less stressful. Friendship first, sorority later is a great strategy, and one that, in my opinion, isn't used often enough.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
This is so important. When I was advising a colony that was doing some COB, I stressed that someone ALWAYS pick up the guest AND take her back to her dorm/apartment. No need to make them start out feeling awkward by arriving at an event by herself! Plus you can use the time in transport to create a bond with the girl and put her at ease.
This is how I was recruited! I probably never would have gone on my own. Having a sister invite me and then meet me at my dorm to take me to my first event was essentially what got me there. From then on, I kept going and never looked back.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Because the OP knows nothing of the PNM's interest (or lack thereof), befriending her is key. The sorority can wait. Introducing her to members outside of an official sorority event puts less pressure on the PNM and makes the possible transition to membership less stressful. Friendship first, sorority later is a great strategy, and one that, in my opinion, isn't used often enough.
As I've said on here before - those 5 steps Kevin posted are on point, but they do not take 5 minutes. Sometimes they can take a year or more! This is what rush is 24/7/365 really means - yes, maybe you are over total right now but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep yourself open to cultivating friendships and possible sisterhood with great people all of the time. You never know, that over-total you have now may end up being under-total next semester for reasons completely beyond your control. The last thing you want is to be in a "we need to get x number of women by y date" and have to begin from scratch.

Ideally, you want to get it to a point to where the PNM is so comfortable with you that SHE asks YOU how she can get a bid.

And it can be that you'll make a great friendship with someone, but your sisters can't stand her, or vice versa. That doesn't mean the time creating the friendship was wasted.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

My best friend is one of my pledge sisters. She was a sophomore when one of her friends at church invited her to come to the house several times for lunch. She was introduced to sisters and pledges, given a house tour and then at the end of the last lunch invited to join. She tells me she had no idea that they sisters were rushing her or considering her for membership. Was a very relaxed way for her to get to know everyone as she had had no intention of being part of the "Greek scene" until she was asked.

Make it casual, friendly, and definitely not "in your face." Some girls are still influenced by the stereotypes regarding Greek Life and want no part of it until they see it for themselves.

DaffyKD
Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As I've said on here before - those 5 steps Kevin posted are on point, but they do not take 5 minutes. Sometimes they can take a year or more! This is what rush is 24/7/365 really means - yes, maybe you are over total right now but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep yourself open to cultivating friendships and possible sisterhood with great people all of the time. You never know, that over-total you have now may end up being under-total next semester for reasons completely beyond your control. The last thing you want is to be in a "we need to get x number of women by y date" and have to begin from scratch.

Ideally, you want to get it to a point to where the PNM is so comfortable with you that SHE asks YOU how she can get a bid.

And it can be that you'll make a great friendship with someone, but your sisters can't stand her, or vice versa. That doesn't mean the time creating the friendship was wasted.
Yes! With the RFM recommendation that campuses re-evaluate total annually, we're seeing a trend that more chapters who've traditionally never had to COR find themselves a few under total and then are totally stymied about what to do. This is why I have all of my chapters, even the stronger-recruiting ones, keep a wish list of unaffiliated women they're developing friendships with.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM

^^^^^^OMG. This is a really big thing with my volunteer role as well.

I work with a chapter who has NEVER done COR. EVER.

This year, their university raised total.

It has been really interesting explaining the concept of "you need to make friends with women" to them.

My favorite response to that "but I'm a sophomore/junior/senior, I don't know anyone except other Sigmas!" or "Everyone I know is a junior/senior and they don't have time to join."

Your class standing is not an excuse. Unless you NEVER go to your classes, eat in the cafeterias, go to the gym, etc. you KNOW tons more unaffiliated women than you think you do.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
"but I'm a sophomore/junior/senior, I don't know anyone except other Sigmas!"
IMO, this is an issue even without the CORing part.