GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,340
3 members and 1,337 guests
flamboyanttree, JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin

Old 05-29-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
On the way to the store the other day, I saw this homeless guy wandering the street looking really dirty and was pushing a cart and he had a load of trash he was pushing around, he was wearing a very old and very dirty TKE jersey black with red letters. I had to look twice and sure enough he was wearing a jersey, it even looked like it had a nickname on the back or some writing but I couldn't make it out.

He prob. got it at a good will store or clothes drive...
I would never donate my letters and such to a goodwill store, all my shirts that are too worn out to wear I have started collecting in hopes of making a shirt quilt
Old 05-29-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
This season on ER, the episode when Abbie's brother disappears.

That same episode she makes a comment how she isnt worried about Carter going out of town with 6 Sigma Nu brothers
Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Women's bathroom LaSalle Street Train Station -

I had just finished washing my hands and was attempting to make my way out of the bathroom to catch my train home. I happened to glance down and saw a Chi Omega bag. How cool was that?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I was in a pub in Niagara Falls, ON for May 2-4 and I went to the washroom. Well you know how people like to write on the bathroom stalls, so I was reading all the little postings keeping myself amused and I glanced at Pi Phi letters. They were just letting every one know that they had been there. I was a newly initiated member (march of that year) so I was excited to see that other Pi Phi's had been there. I ran back to tell my friend, but she wasn't excited (she's not Greek).

*Note: I do not condone writing on bathroom walls , it's was just nice to see my letter.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
I was eating in Chili's tonight. Anyone who has ever been there probably remembers that they have Chili cookoff advertisements all over the walls there. I was looking at the one over our table tonight and in the list of events there, it mentioned and arts and crafts show sponsored by the Mu Tau chapter (I think that was the chapter, at least) of Beta Sigma Phi.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
i found this to be pretty cool......

there was a pin up on ebay that had sigma kappa's open motto on it.
it said "one heart, one way" around the letters MG overlayed on each other.
the pin was being sold by some guy in england and he wanted to find out as well what it was. so he did a little research and found out the MG stands for "methodist gentlemen"
evidently a group started a while ago who found sigma kappa's motto to be relevant to their group.

so i got to see my motto somewhere odd, but not my letters.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 05-30-2003, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
oh actually, scratch that, i did see my letters on a girl in oxford one day when i went back. i think it was for new year's. she was walking out of kroger and being that we no longer exist on miami's campus and i didn't recognize her, i asked her where she got the shirt she was wearing.
it just happened to be a shirt that my chapter had. evidently she was from the ohio university chapter where i visited the year before bearing gifts of shirts from my chapter.
so oddly enough i got to see my own shirt on some other sister from some other chapter that i just happen to visit and give these shirts to. wow.......cool.......

shelley j
sigma k
Old 05-30-2003, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

two stories:

my boyfriend (a Chi Phi) and I were walking outside the high museum of Art in Atl and we saw a migrant construction worker wearing a Chi Phi tank top!!!! it was weird and funny. It had to be thrift store find cuz I'm pretty sure that Chi Phi doesn't have any chapters in Mexico!

Tonight I was watching this silly tv show called "stupid people caught on tape" or something else escapist like that and there was this one scene of two college football mascots beating each other up. This was at Northern LU and I guess all the greek chapters keep big wooden letters around the sidelines of the field. As the two mascots (an Indian and a demon) ripped into each other seriously I saw a big set of TKE letters and then the camera froze right as one mascot ripped the head mask off the other. Behind them frozen, were three huge wooden Sigmas!!!!
heee!. It was funny (although somewhat odd) and it made me excited because I'm in the only Sigma chapter in my state, so it was nice to be reminded that we are in other places!!!!!
Old 05-31-2003, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

letters in europe

I have been in germany since march (its now end of may) and i have seen letters everywhere. As well as having a sigma kappa being here studying with me and a guy at the other part of the school is in a frat (i cant remember which one sorry...)
I have also seen americans walking around town here wiht adpi letters. (this is a big tourist town).
I know previous people from my school that have studied here: a delta tau delta, a kappa kappa gamma, an alpha phi, (thats all i remember so far..)
Old 06-01-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Today on TLC I saw this show "Curb Appeal", and the house they were renovating was the Pikes house at...UC Berkley, I think they said. It looked really nice when they were done!
I'll probably be one of those Americans walking around in letters next year in Germany -- I'm studying there and something like 3/4 of my t-shirts have letters on them, so I'm bound to wear them. A Kappa Kappa Gamma and a Delta Sigma Phi are going with me.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A couple years ago, before they hired Kelly Rippa to be the permanent co-host on Live with Regis (& later Kelly) they had a week where they had college students act as a co-host. One of the co-hosts was an ADPi! My mom called me in the room to tell me! That was pretty cool!
I never saw her on Regis & Kelly, but she was on the show "All American Girl on ABC/ABC Family. She is from my mom's ADPi chapter at East Carolina!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kateshort

On another note, I forgot to post this, but about two weeks ago (maybe 3) there was a girl asking a question during American Idol, and she was wearing a light blue shirt that I swear said "gamma phi beta" in small lowercase glitter letters.
That was my sister's friend. Yea, she is a Gamma Phi
Old 06-02-2003, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
three stories:
my parents live in egypt so when we went to visit last summer we went down to the temple at abu simble, which is this huge temple on the nile. anyway, it was built like 4000 years ago and there's greek graffiti on it from the greeks. and oddly enough there was a sigma and a kappa right next to each other on one of the legs of one of the statues. kinda cool.

i'm studying in london right now, and i see tons of american kids wearing greek stuff all over town. just on my program of 23 people we've got 2 phi psi's, a pika, me, a gamma phi, an adpi and an aopi.

i was in paris last weekend and was in the elevator going up to the top of the eiffel tower and happened to be wearing one of my homecoming sweatshirts with my letters on it . this girl came up to me and was like "where are you a sigma kappa?" and i told her penn state. turns out she was a sigma kappa from oregon state! totally random

all i have to say is we greeks are everywhere!!

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 06-02-2003, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kateshort
Though I hope they weren't the kind of pants with the letters on the BUTT! (I don't care what it says, whether it's letters or "bootylicious"... I just can't imagine wearing writing on my backside...)

Imagine what that would look like for us, sigma delta tau???? now that's no good
Old 06-02-2003, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry to post again, but don't you know i have some good stories... i wait tables at a tgifridays, one day i was waiting on these two ladies probably abour 65 years of age, both in town for the wedding of their children (mother of the bride and groom) from new york.. something caught my eye on one of the ladies lapel's..it was a torch pin from my sorority (SDT).. i was SO excited (we're nowhere near the size of some other orgs.).. it was kinda funny because noone else seemed to understand the reason why i was bouncing off the walls with excitement (with the exception of a GPhiB that i work with)..oh well like they say from the inside out you can't explain it, from the outside in, you can't understand it.
Also, i was in Dublin this past St. Pat's and obviously no trip to Dublin is complete without a trip to the St. James Gate brewery (guiness) there's a section where you can write a message and put it up on the wall.. i must have seen every possible GLO up on that wall.. so of course i put a shout out to my fellow founders and put it right up next to another SDT (from one of the SUNYs) and took pictures.. that was a great feeling of home abroad...