GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 991
3 members and 988 guests
Low D Flat, naraht, sabellashulzez9

Old 11-18-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't have a "racial policy". Thanks. Don't be an idiot. I never said anything about a policy. Stop putting words in my mouth.

You are right, race isn't a central mission of our fraternity or chapter.....making our chapter the best we possibly can is, however. It is our job to do that. We take people who are a good, solid fits for our chapter that share common interests and ideals. I never said, nor do I think, that white people are better than other groups. We are not going to actively pursue a group of people that show no interest in joining our fraternity for the sake of diversifying our house.....that is moronic and not the least bit conducive to our chapter. I don't care if they are black, white, green, yellow.....whatever......its not going to happen. If you abhor the fact that many Southern chapters have only white people so much.....then go join the NAACP and preach to someone of a higher power. I'm sure Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would love you. Until then......quit with your never ending rant......while you are behind.

Last edited by macallan25; 11-18-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-18-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
So Elephant Walk, let me get this straight. Your fraternity chapter only offers bids to old money, white, southern boys that allow themselves to be hazed? Do you use religion as a qualifier as well? (only Protestants, etc.).

It is your chapter and if that's the way you want to do it, then it is your right (well, not the hazing part but that is a different thread). It is just foreign to me- I went to school in the midwest where even the traditionally southern fraternities had diversity. As for the sororities, I don't remember a single time when race was brought up during membership selection.
I agree with you about seeing diversity in traditionally southern fraternities. I have seen several black people in Kappa Alpha Order.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
you went there blackandgold, not anyone else.
macallan- the fsu ztas, the samford ztas, the ucf ztas and the fsu pikes ARE among the tops on their respective campuses. i cannot speak for the others.
You are absolutely right. I have many friends in Greek Life at FSU and they always speak very highly of ZTA and Pike.

To respond to what others were saying, I know racism exists, especially at southern schools, but at my school (which is in the south, but not traditionally southern), it does not determine whether or not you are extended a bid to join a sorority or a fraternity. The are black women in Delta Gamma, Kappa Delta, TriDelta, and Chi Omega here, as well as black members of Sig Ep, Sigma Chi, and countless other fraternities.

I do notice that the multi-cultural fraternities prefer to segregate themselves and I can understand that because their organizations are based on totally different cultures. Their organization bonds them together. In that same way, I can see why historically white groups may feel the same why, though I do believe if an intelligent, classy woman of a different race fits in well with a chapter here, she is deserving of a bid.

Also, there is a Southeastern Asian sorority here with numerous black members. Their president is also black.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Macallen, you're so silly. It's hard believe that you could really be a member of top tier group anyplace.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Enlighten me on how you have come to that conclusion.

.....and i'm sorry you are in a bottom feeder sorority at UGA.

Last edited by macallan25; 11-18-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Read your posts, man, read your posts.

*I don't mean to insult the rest of your group. I'm just surprised they'd associate with you.

Not that anyone cares, but I'd like to take back this smartass comment and the one I made above it. Race is always a touchy subject, and I think Macallan and I got carried away.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 11-19-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

You have insulted me and my group, and I don't appreciate it. I'll be the first to say that I haven't come across as very gentlemanly in response to your posts.......but when someone that I don't know who lives thousands of miles away from our chapter accuses us of being racist and having racist trains of thought concerning our membership makeup....I have a problem with it. I have tried to explain our thought processes and our recruitment practices as best as I can....and you have either chosen to ignore them or you have the reading comprehension skills of a blind pre-schooler.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Amazing thread.

But, it boils down to people join Greek Organizatins because they as individuals feel comfortable with those members.

Yes there is still racial considerations as some of the Southern boys say, but it is not all over the country either.

Did the Founders of this Country have different ideals when the Country was founded? Of course, that was the norm for the time.

Supposedly times have changed, but evidently not in some parts of the country.

Are the Whites anymore bias than the Blacks? Doesn't seem like it on this thread.

It seems that some Blacks are much more so than the Souther Crackers.

Oh bringing schools into this is ignorant. If anything, Missouri was a more Southern slant than Arkansas.

Post away as it shows????

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If anything, Missouri was a more Southern slant than Arkansas.
Have you ever been to the University of Arkansas? Granted it's in the Northwest, so it's much like Oklahoma and not like the rest of Arkansas. But many of the people come from the Delta and Central Arkansas, which are all very very Southern.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, yes I have. My Brother went to U. Arkansas.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-19-2006, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Umm, I don't think so. Arkansas have a far more southern slant than Missouri.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 11-19-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Eek

As much as most of us wish that racial discrimination would not happen in today's society, unfortunately, it still does.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Yes there is still racial considerations as some of the Southern boys say, but it is not all over the country either.

Are the Whites anymore bias than the Blacks? Doesn't seem like it on this thread.