GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 546
0 members and 546 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2022, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow--Has Rush Changed that much?!?

I am a greek with NPC experience from my college days in the 80's. My youngest dd just finished up rush at her school and I am shocked by the changes to rush--is this normal--or just a poorly run NPC?

It's an 8 sorority system. They had formal rush in the Fall for upperclassmen and again in the spring opened to all. Rush was 100% on-line in the spring. (no idea they could hold 2 formal rushes in the same school year).

Spring Rush first 2 nights were meet/greet parties with PNM's going to 4 houses per night. All PNM's to all orgs. The Gamma Chi asked the girls to rank the orgs 1-8 after the first round of parties, as they could only pick 4 org's for the next round.

Next round-PNM's pick from their invites to go to 4 parties. When invites for the second round of parties were handed out, so many PNM's got cut from the "best" orgs that 34% of the PNM's dropped before round #2.

Gamma Chi says rank your remaining 4-we match for preference invites. The next day receive your 2 pref match invites with bids the same night.

My dd got her bottom 4 for round 2 and expressed disappointment to her Gamma Chi in not getting an invite from her #1-"Sally Sea Shell Sorority". Gamma Chi-"not surprising-they only take girls from X and Y geographical area and you're not from there."

DD's roomie also went through rush--in a different PNM group-roomie's Gamma Chi was shocked to see that roomie got an invite back to "Alice Allgood Sorority" and "Terry Turtle Sorority" round 2 since their "pref lists" were already set/known before rush officially started. Gamma Chi discouraged her from attending those 2 for round 2 -"don't waste the opportunity to visit orgs you have a chance at receiving bids from" but roomie went any way with high hopes-roomie didn't make it to pref at either and was crushed.

So that's 3 of the 8 org's that have some sort of "pre-set" selection process.

At the end of this, 6 of the 8 orgs pledged full quota, 1 org pledged 50%, with 1 org only pledging 2 girls!! Approximately 19% of the girls that attended pref/invite parties went home without pledging and/or receiving a bid.

Adding that together they placed approximately 52% of the PNM's that started the process in the first round of parties.

Is this normal now? A huge cut from the 1st to 2nd round? Pre-picked pref parties? Selections based on geography? Such a huge loss of PNM's?

Maybe just different than I remember
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2022, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie2U View Post
I am a greek with NPC experience from my college days in the 80's. My youngest dd just finished up rush at her school and I am shocked by the changes to rush--is this normal--or just a poorly run NPC?

It's an 8 sorority system. They had formal rush in the Fall for upperclassmen and again in the spring opened to all. Rush was 100% on-line in the spring. (no idea they could hold 2 formal rushes in the same school year).

Spring Rush first 2 nights were meet/greet parties with PNM's going to 4 houses per night. All PNM's to all orgs. The Gamma Chi asked the girls to rank the orgs 1-8 after the first round of parties, as they could only pick 4 org's for the next round.

Next round-PNM's pick from their invites to go to 4 parties. When invites for the second round of parties were handed out, so many PNM's got cut from the "best" orgs that 34% of the PNM's dropped before round #2.

Gamma Chi says rank your remaining 4-we match for preference invites. The next day receive your 2 pref match invites with bids the same night.

My dd got her bottom 4 for round 2 and expressed disappointment to her Gamma Chi in not getting an invite from her #1-"Sally Sea Shell Sorority". Gamma Chi-"not surprising-they only take girls from X and Y geographical area and you're not from there."

DD's roomie also went through rush--in a different PNM group-roomie's Gamma Chi was shocked to see that roomie got an invite back to "Alice Allgood Sorority" and "Terry Turtle Sorority" round 2 since their "pref lists" were already set/known before rush officially started. Gamma Chi discouraged her from attending those 2 for round 2 -"don't waste the opportunity to visit orgs you have a chance at receiving bids from" but roomie went any way with high hopes-roomie didn't make it to pref at either and was crushed.

So that's 3 of the 8 org's that have some sort of "pre-set" selection process.

At the end of this, 6 of the 8 orgs pledged full quota, 1 org pledged 50%, with 1 org only pledging 2 girls!! Approximately 19% of the girls that attended pref/invite parties went home without pledging and/or receiving a bid.

Adding that together they placed approximately 52% of the PNM's that started the process in the first round of parties.

Is this normal now? A huge cut from the 1st to 2nd round? Pre-picked pref parties? Selections based on geography? Such a huge loss of PNM's?

Maybe just different than I remember
Yes, mom, some things have changed tremendously. Some things remain the same. Frankly, girls who quit the process before Pref because they don't get back their #1-wished-for chapter back get little sympathy from most of us. They walked away from opportunities to join an organization. Please take the information from your DD and roomie with a big old bucket of salt.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If 6 of 8 pledged quota, I don't see how that's a 52% pledging rate.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

How is it kosher for any Gamma Chi to tell any PNM the actual, possible, imagined or made-up recruitment strategies for any house? How is that being Panhellenic?
Old 02-21-2022, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
If 6 of 8 pledged quota, I don't see how that's a 52% pledging rate.
52% from the original group that signed up for rush.

81% from the group after Cut #1

Appears to set quota from the # attending the first invite party round.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the huge drop from Round 1 to Round 2 is part of the Recruitment Figure Methodology used sine the mid-to-late 1990s by the NPC.
The ones that cut their PNM (formerly known as rushee) pool so harshly are the ones that everybody wants and obviously few get.
Truthfully, this releases candidates early in the game, so they can look at the other sororities more closely and find a fit, rather than the biggies stringing them along with a big drop before pref.
IT HAS BEEN A GREAT AND GOOD METHOD!
This has what has been responsible for the huge growth of the Greek system everywhere! As long as the girls don't immediately give up and drop out of recruitment/rush, they are more likely to find a fit with another sorority.
Pledge rates have climbed, making chapters healthier.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a history in the school of accusations of improper rush procedures-sisters "outing" their chapters' dirty rushing after they dis-affiliated. I just assumed it was sour grapes--not so sure anymore.

NPC taught us--never speak poorly of another org, build them all up, the NPC is only as strong as its weakest group. Goal is to find a home for everyone who wants to be greek.

My NPC would have looked at our procedures if we lost that many at the first cut---there is a responsibility to educate PNM's that all orgs have special and unique strengths--give them ALL a chance.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Pre-picked pref parties and selections based on geography were definitely a thing 50 years ago, probably longer than that.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pre-picked pref parties and selections based on geography were definitely a thing 50 years ago, probably longer than that.
I can vouch it was 60 years ago! Depending on the school and the chapter, anything was possible.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

College Panhellenics set rules as to how the recruitment will be run. The individually sororities make their own membership criteria/selection process within the parameters set by Panhellenic, NPC, and their national organization. The majority of college panhellenics use the release figure method (RFM).

Each chapter's return rates for a set number of years are evaluated and used to determine how many PNMs that chapter is allowed to ask back. It changes per round. The chapters that "everyone" wants to return to have higher return rates, thus it is safer for them to release more PNMs, because those who do receive an invitation from this chapter will, 9.9/10 times go back to that chapter. Conversely, those chapters who are not in that category are allowed to invite more PNMs back. The object of this method is for as many PNMs to receive bids as possible.

If the PNM attends all the parties she is asked back to, and lists the chapters where she attended pref on her MRABA (bid card), she will receive a bid. She is not guaranteed a bid if she attends two parties, but lists just one choice (Single Intentional Preference-SIP, some people say Intentional Single Preference-ISP). So short story long, if your daughter's Panhellenic used RFM, and the PNMs went with the flow and gave all the chapters a chance to woo them and accepted the bid extended them, the pledge rate would've been much higher.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Did Panhellenic officially release these statistics?
Old 02-22-2022, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Did Panhellenic officially release these statistics?
This info came from the Gamma Chi's--through various interactions.

Not sure how you find "official" release numbers--any pointers?
Old 02-22-2022, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's all rumors, no doubt. I'm thinking you're talking about SMU and I can't see them letting out the official information, not even to Gamma Chis.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's all rumors, no doubt. I'm thinking you're talking about SMU and I can't see them letting out the official information, not even to Gamma Chis.
Not SMU.

I did confirm through my sorority's alumni connections that the chapter pledging 2 is correct(Carnation that should give you a big hint what chapter that is).

I doubt this is an "official" release. Just info shared with rushee's during the process. I would hope that Gamma Chi's wouldn't be totally making up figures, don't see the point, but maybe?!?

The math from the new class sizes seems to match up with the info shared by the Gamma Chi's.

Last edited by Hootie2U; 02-22-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I heard through Texan connections who pledged 2, although I heard that all the other sororities pledged quota.