GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,407
3 members and 1,404 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin, Xidelt

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

ASSIST OKLA. CHAPTERS WITH TORNADO RELIEF
POSTED: 2013-05-22 :: LAST UPDATED: 2013-05-22, 15:00 ET

Brothers in Oklahoma are asking chapters from around the country to lend the helping hand as they coordinate local relief efforts following the deadly tornado that struck Moore, Okla., and surrounding areas earlier this week.

Volunteers from Mu Tau Chapter, Epsilon Epsilon Chapter, and Delta Epsilon Colony are requesting gloves (heavy duty), large black trash bags (contractor grade), shovels, toiletries, sunscreen, and dust masks be sent to the following addresses:

Mu Tau, Central Oklahoma
Tornado Relief
301 E. Edwards
Edmond, OK 73034

918-288-3715
colt.coldren@gmail.com

Epsilon Epsilon, Oklahoma State
Tornado Relief
913 W. University
Stillwater, OK 74074

405-371-9970
chase.snodgrass@okstate.edu
Volunteers from chapters at University of Central Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State University will use these supplies in their ongoing relief effort. Brothers in the Oklahoma City area interested in joining a volunteer team are encouraged to contact Colt Coldren and Chase Snodgrass at the information above.

Additional donations can be made by texting "REDCROSS" to 90999 or "STORM" to 80888. Texting "FOOD" to 32333 will donate $10 to the Oklahoma Regional Food Bank.

http://www.sigmanu.org/news/20130522_0001.php
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

An amazing story of a mother who gave birth during the tornado:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-hospital?lite

@~/~~~~
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

It rained 7" at my house inside of 12 hours. I think it was more like 3. Glad I have flood insurance because I'm making a claim. It's been rough. Our roof and gutters were totaled in March. We had just finished redoing our flooring from a flood caused by a plumbing backup and now we get hit with 7" of rain and water seeping into our floors on both sides of the house.

The tornadoes were a few miles South of us this time, so no damage or power lost, but water is bad stuff too. Downtown OKC flooded pretty bad. I office just outside of downtown. I'm on the ground floor, so I may have another insurance claim to process.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

I paid for flood insurance. Thank God. The house flooded from that rain because our french drain pipe apparently collapsed. Our house is a dam and has been constantly flooding. Since we paid for the insurance and adjacent homes flooded, FEMA is paying for repairs.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hoping GCers in current Midwest Greatest Severe Weather area are heeding their risk warnings. The Weather Channel online Northern Illinois future radar maps are FREAKING ME OUT. Why have they not postponed the Blackhawks game?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Why do we keep bumping the Severe Weather January '13 thread when there's a regular severe weather thread? Actually, the real question is why did we start a new severe weather thread for January when we had one already? No big deal, I'm just OCD like that,

My family in Chicago (that phrase makes me want to cry on the inside!! miss it already it...) has been texting me with updates. They're supposed to get SLAMMED. My mom, who works for the electric company, has already been told she will be working this weekend.

Also, TOTALLY not digging the wild fires. I am a Chicagoan. I can do flooding, thunderstorms and blizzards. I know nothing about this stuff. I just love that I move out to Colorado and within 2 weeks of being here BOOM, 5 wild fires. The closest one is 25 miles away and I am currently looking at smoke from the fire as I sit and type this.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Fires...

We are on fire here in Colorado.

Fires North and South of Metro Denver. One is near Colorado Springs where the Waldo Canyon fire destroyed some 300 homes.

There isn't a thread for fires. Maybe I need to start one.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Derecho Part Deux

Although OPM has not shut down (yet) the State Department is ready to throw in the towel....

Severe Weather Expected Thursday night Through Friday

There is severe weather on the horizon with impacts that could be similar to the derecho occurring one year ago this month. Derechoes are large clusters of thunderstorms that produce wide, long swaths of straight-line wind damage with winds as strong as 50 to 100 mph or higher. Last year’s derecho caused extensive power outages and communications failures across the Mid-Atlantic region. A/OEM recommends you begin planning now for a potential repeat of last year.

The Mid-Atlantic region, including Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C., may be impacted Thursday through Friday with damaging straight-line winds, large hail and a few possible tornadoes. The potential threats include strong winds downing trees and power lines Thursday night and Friday with gusts over 50 mph as well as flooding from heavy rainfall.

All Department employees are asked to check the OPM.gov website and the State.gov website to monitor the operating status of federal government buildings and specific Department of State buildings in the National Capital Region and other affected areas. If the operating status of the federal government is open, but an employee is unable to report to their duty station, employees are advised to contact their supervisor and bureau executive director offices to notify them and make arrangements for telework or liberal leave.

Please see the information in Department Notice: Washington, D.C. Area Dismissal and Closure Procedures, which provides guidance for Department of State employees.

We are monitoring the forecast and will stay in touch with field offices that may be impacted by the storm. If impacts to Department operations occur, the Department’s Incident Management Team may activate to notify and provide assistance to any affected facilities, offices and bureaus in the National Capital region or elsewhere in the affected areas. Employees may check the State Department website www.state.gov for State specific building and operations closures.

Basic personal preparedness actions for severe weather include having an emergency kit with flashlights, plenty of batteries, water and non-perishable food items, a weather radio to receive alerts and comfort items. See OEM’s website for more information on personal preparedness. Personnel should also go to https://cens.a.state.gov/ and ensure their emergency contact records are updated.

Please contact the Emergency Management Center at 202- or email @state.gov for more information about building operations.

Please contact your supervisor or bureau executive director for questions if you are unable to report to work due to the severe weather
Return to Department Notices index
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, the state of Michigan is really getting pounded right now. I'm trying to find a good radar image...

Yeah.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Well, the state of Michigan is really getting pounded right now. I'm trying to find a good radar image...

Yeah.

Try wunderground.com and try the wundermap you can scale it and add things to it just like being the weather guy.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Try wunderground.com and try the wundermap you can scale it and add things to it just like being the weather guy.
You are fantastic.

Updated. Worse.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
You are fantastic.
Thank you! Living in "Dixie Alley" and having spent thirteen years on hurricane watch, one becomes an amateur meteorologist by necessity.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Why do we keep bumping the Severe Weather January '13 thread when there's a regular severe weather thread? Actually, the real question is why did we start a new severe weather thread for January when we had one already? No big deal, I'm just OCD like that,
Next time I require a specific thread, will check similar thread for sticky at bottom. Thanks for the reminder, LP

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Next time I require a specific thread, will check similar thread for sticky at bottom. Thanks for the reminder, LP
Hope I didn't come off sassy, I didn't mean too!

Like I said, I'm just OCD like that