GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,168
0 members and 2,168 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2002, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Greedy sorority

Alright, i'm not trying to hate, but there is a particular sorority on my campus that has a pledge class that is way too big. They have 25 pledges. How can you possibly get to know all of those girls and make the pledging process more personal with that many girls? Seriously, we have 6 pledges, another sorority has 10. But 25 is just ridiculous. But, this is only my opinion.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2002, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
I've heard of school with average pledge classes of over 70! At my school a fall pledge class of 25 would be small, as quota is usually around 42. I guess it's how you look at the matter.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Ha ha. You must go to my school. Yeah, when one sorority has 6 pledges and another has 10, 25 can seem like a lot! However compared to schools with stronger greek systems, 25 isn't a lot. Do they do dirty rushing?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 09-24-2002, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that they are dirty rushing. At least I hope not, but I would not put it past those girls b/c they are really snobby towards other sororities on campus and towards themselves!! But, I agree with Hootie, maybe they are doing something right that my sorority could learn from. But, regardless of that, our school is not a big school, it has about 5,000 or less students, and to have that many girls in a pledge class is in my opinion ridiculous!!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to suzymoonspider
My pledge class has 25 members- but I think most of the other sororities have about the same amount and at least for me no dirty rushing was allowed!
Old 09-24-2002, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I go to a small school... and I have 21 in my pledge class, and I'm pretty certain all the other sororities have around that number.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
I don't think that they are dirty rushing. At least I hope not, but I would not put it past those girls b/c they are really snobby towards other sororities on campus and towards themselves!! But, I agree with Hootie, maybe they are doing something right that my sorority could learn from. But, regardless of that, our school is not a big school, it has about 5,000 or less students, and to have that many girls in a pledge class is in my opinion ridiculous!!!!
Well, if you're sure that no dirty rushing is involved, then they are doing something right. Find out what it is! Once you find out, you guys can try to compete OR offer them the opposite of what they offer.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 09-24-2002, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, we need to do something!! I don't want that many in a pledge class, b/c it makes it harder to really get to know everyone. But, it would be cool to get up to 15 pledges in the next semester class.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it all depends on the level of commitment of the sisters, if the pledges outnumber the number of members, it might be a problem because someone has to double up on the sister-daughters (or little sisters). However, you can have 5 pledges and it will be too many if the sisters aren't involved in their activities/life. JMO...
Old 09-24-2002, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
What was quota this year?
Old 09-24-2002, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quota at my school was 36 and that is the number that we have. My pledge class last fall was also thirty six. You would be surprised at how close all of us are. We are always together. Seriously, almost all of us. Large pledge classes have just as strong of a bond as a small one. And it has nothing to do with dirty rushing.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that 25 is a ridiculous size as far as getting to know each other... 25 is actually a pretty small pledge class, here, but if they are getting 25 while others are getting 10 and 5, then it does make me wonder. What is quota? If quota's 10 and they're taking 25, then that's not really fair, and I'm wondering about your greek system, but if quota's 25, then why are they able to make quota while the other two aren't? Dirty rushing actually happens a lot here... sororities just pay the fines... but I don't know that dirty rushing is what happens there to make them get 25 versus 10 and 5.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pledge
My school only has about 2000-2500 people, and pledge classes of 25 are not unheard-of. Actually, I think quota the year I joined was 30. It really does depend on the system. I have to agree with you, though, once the size of a new member class hits a certain point, there is no way that you can be very close to a majority of them. I can't even imagine trying to get to know 70 members of my class plus the 100+ upperclass sisters!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

You guys, this just happens. Quota was 36 here. We only bid matched 26 and then we COBed the rest. 4 chapters bid matched quota, one chapter only bid matched 6 and one only bid matched 16. Yes, dirty rushing does happen but it is not fair to say that just because some chapters are full and others are not that there is something shady going on. A lot of people don't just join any sorority that they can get into. They know what they want and that is the only place that they will go. I think it is just how the chips fall sometimes. Seriously, we didn't bid match quota and we are a strong chapter. We also didn't just take anyone so that we would be at quota and that may be the case in chapters with small pledge classes. Maybe they are very selective with their girls. I don't think that is a bad thing. I personally would rather have 6 girls that I absolutely can't live with out than have 60 that I have my doubts about.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:03 AM

Are you saying this sorority took more pledges than they were entitled to? I don't quite get your gripe.

If they have a significantly bigger pledge class than everyone else, it could be because they started with less sisters and are trying to get up to total.

At any rate - if you like being in a smaller pledge class, why on earth do you care? Let them do their thing, and you do yours. You won't look any better by saying this other sorority can't be close and is being greedy - it just makes you look jealous.