GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,514
2 members and 2,512 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Initiation gift from parents

I attended a college that did not have sororities, so this is all new to me. Greek Chat's forums have been so helpful through my daughter's recruitment process. Her initiation is approaching, and I would like to send her a gift to mark this special day. We sent flowers on bid day. Is there something customary, perhaps jewelry? Would appreciate any words of wisdom!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

It is common in my neck of the woods to see parents give their daughter a piece of jewerly that is symbolic of their particular sorority...maybe an owl for a Chi O, an anchor for a Delta Gamma, a kite for Theta, a five point crown for Zeta, you get the picture. Or you could pay for the pin that will be ordered after the pledging period.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My parents bought me red roses (at the time, our local tradition was you could not have red roses until after you were initiated into AOII kinda like other sororities couldn't have things with the COA) and paid for my jeweled badge for initiation so I've got nothing for you. Try contacting her Big Sis to make sure you don't duplicate something else she will be getting.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 03-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I received a bouquet of my sorority's flower for initiation.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't discount the value of a thoughtful, handwritten letter. For content, think along the lines of the type of note you would write for her graduation.

My sister's sorority asked my parents to write her a letter to be used as part of her pre initiation week, which I thought was very sweet. I'm not sure if this is a ZTA thing, or just something her chapter does.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, family members (and I guess anyone else who wanted to) sent bouquets of flowers that were used to decorate tables during our pre-initiation dinner. I never heard of anyone in my chapter getting anything beyond that for initiation itself from family members. Badges could only be ordered after initiation, so they weren't technically "initiation gifts."
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Also, you could ask her big sis for ideas.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:42 PM

My parents didn't really understand the greek system. (My mom grew up in the UK, and my father is anti-greek.) My mom sent me a stuffed giraffe when I was initiated into AEPhi. A sweet gesture.

If I had a daughter about to be initiated into a sorority, I would probably send one of: (a) a bouquet of her sorority's flowers, (b) a bouquet of silk flowers (so that they last a long time), or (c) a cross stitch with the appropriate letters, flowers, symbols, etc.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
If I had a daughter about to be initiated into a sorority, I would probably send one of: (a) a bouquet of her sorority's flowers, (b) a bouquet of silk flowers (so that they last a long time), or (c) a cross stitch with the appropriate letters, flowers, symbols, etc.
This! Flowers are always lovely, and homemade gifts would also be great!

One idea would be a cross stitched pin pillow so she could avoid losing her pin
Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

If the organization's badge has pearls in it, you could always send a pair of simple pearl earrings. My parents bought me a strand of pearls and matching earrings as a holiday gift and I love them. They are classic and I can wear them with anything.