GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,555
1 members and 1,554 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 07-04-2014, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Yogis and Yoginis - What is your favorite yoga mat?

I've decided to become more serious about my yoga practice, so I am in the process of looking for a better quality yoga mat. The one I have been using over the last 10 years or so, off and on (more off than on), is an inexpensive one that came as part of a beginners box - mat, blocks and strap. It's fine, but now I need to upgrade.

I'm deciding between Manduka's eKO lite mat and Lululemon's The Mat. I've been doing a lot of Vinyasa flow yoga, but I'm going to try warm Hatha yoga.

Any suggestions? All opinions welcome.

BTW - in my internet research, most people are split between Manduka and Jade, where a lot of these people seem to be doing hot yoga 3 - 4 times a week. I'm not that intense. I'm looking for a good mat that I will use at the studio once a week, and at home for practice.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM

As a yoga instructor for regular practice, I like the Manduka Pro-Lite mat. It does not weigh as much as the Pro (this is mainly for setting up at home and leaving your mat there). It has a more cloth top and so my hands do not slip on it like they do on a typical cheaper latex like mat that you get at Walmart or Target. It also stands up to a lot of wear and tear. I do yoga on average anywhere between 1-3 hours a day on most days and the mat does not start to peel like the cheaper ones.

If you are going to do any kind of "warm" or "hot" yoga, or are just afraid that your hands and feet are going to slip and slide no matter what, the Mat by Lululemon is worth the investment. You put your hands and feet on that mat, and you are not going anywhere! I am thinking about investing in one myself. I don't like the warm/hot yoga classes, but if I am in a full class, the room humidity and temperature changes with everyone's breathing and body heat and I will sometimes slide on my own mat.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post

If you are going to do any kind of "warm" or "hot" yoga, or are just afraid that your hands and feet are going to slip and slide no matter what, the Mat by Lululemon is worth the investment. You put your hands and feet on that mat, and you are not going anywhere! I am thinking about investing in one myself. I don't like the warm/hot yoga classes, but if I am in a full class, the room humidity and temperature changes with everyone's breathing and body heat and I will sometimes slide on my own mat.

Hope this helps!
Thank you! It does help.

I too have noticed that in a "regular" temperature class the humidity does rise with more bodies, and with my own higher body temperature my hands and feet will slip, especially in down dog.

The warm Hatha yoga is suppose to be no more than 85 F. A newly minted yoga teacher is teaching this class and she has been recruiting for students. She has assured us that she is not intense, just mostly doing Yin yoga.

So, you've tipped me more towards The Mat.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Thank you! It does help.

I too have noticed that in a "regular" temperature class the humidity does rise with more bodies, and with my own higher body temperature my hands and feet will slip, especially in down dog.

The warm Hatha yoga is suppose to be no more than 85 F. A newly minted yoga teacher is teaching this class and she has been recruiting for students. She has assured us that she is not intense, just mostly doing Yin yoga.

So, you've tipped me more towards The Mat.
Yin yoga is probably better done in a warmer environment. It involves stretching out the fascia a bit more, and that works better and a little safer in a warmer environment as it helps to keep your muscles warm. I like yin yoga a lot. It is not for everyone, but it is worth trying out!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much Sigma Diva for asking this question and Theta Princess 24 for responding. While I have not practiced yoga for quite as long as either of you, I have as of late thought about purchasing a new mat. Now I have expert guidance.
Namaste.

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 07-05-2014, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

While I've gone through phases with my yoga practice, my first teacher highly recommended a Jade mat. I've been using one, on and off, for the past two years, and I love mine. I take warm classes, and my hands sweat profusely. On my cheap mat, I was sliding everywhere. On my Jade, I go nowhere. It's good at its job, and I don't have an issue with any smells (a complaint I've seen all over Amazon).

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

So I decided to go to a REI to check out Jade and Manduka mats side-by-side, and you're right, Jade does not smell like rubber.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

A year later......

So, I did purchase the Jade yoga mat last year.

After practicing different types of yoga on both my Jade and Lululemon mats, I've found that each are better for different types of practices.

I use my Jade mat for vinyasa / hatha flow yoga. Jade mats seem to give more cushion, so I feel its better for my joints when I'm moving faster.

I use my Lululemon for my yin / restorative yoga. Since you are not moving fast, or at all, in these yoga practices, I don't need as much cushion.

Just recently I was surfing through some yoga websites and read about yoga mats from a company called Lole. Their travel mat seems really nice so I ordered one and it is on its way.

#yogamatfrenzy