GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,269
2 members and 1,267 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't know if this is regional or not, but I "pshawed" at 30 min myself. I've been to weddings where the ceremony and reception sites were an hour + apart (e.g. wedding in CLE and reception past Canton, google map it if you're not from here, it's quite a distance.)

I will say that if the reception is not in the hotel where guests are staying, it is usually VERY close with shuttle service provided from reception to hotel (keeps people from driving.)
Yea, the hotel has been confirmed… it's 30 minutes away from the reception. As far as I know, there's no shuttle service.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to a wedding tonight for a neighbor's daughter. There had to be 300 guests there (they attend a large Baptist church.) The ceremony was an hour. Then we were all herded to the gym/fellowship hall for "light hors d'oeuvres." As in a fruit tray, three different kinds of hot appetizers, and water/tea/powdered lemonade. It was so packed in there and my husband and I were trying to eat gracefully while balancing our cup and plate and dodging running children. We left after 20 minutes. Oh well.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Most weddings I've been too I was super young so I don't really have a memory for it. But I wanna say my freshman or sophomore year of high school, the wife of the family friends called me and my sister during winter break to help her set up for a wedding the night before.. When we got to the church we finally learned the story... (mind you the groom is family friends with our family friends)

The bride and groom only knew each other for about a month and a half, and decided to get married! There are rumors as to why so quickly (she may or may not been pregnant was one of them that I remember) and that they needed help to obviously decorate the night before for the wedding. So the next day me and my parents end up going, and I remember that the "here comes the bride" song was played on a CD/ Ipod and when the bride and groom walked out "Differences" by Ginuwine played (I was so bad and just started cracking up cause I didn't know any better)

After that, pictures took FOREVER and the reception started, they then needed people to help serve food so my parents volunteered me and I was on my feet for about an hour/hour and a half helping other family friends. I think the best part was the speeches that the groomens and bridemaids and family members were making, they all started with..

" I never got to meet the groom.. BUT... I Bet he is...."
"I never got to meet the bride.. BUT... I bet she is..."

Me and my parents just kept looking at each other and was like "oh...okay..."

They actually lasted longer then I thought! It ended up being 2.5 years. One time when I met up with the family friends I was told that he finally divorced her (after having 2 kids of course!)

Then last year (actually the day after bid day!) My sister oldest friend from high school got married and my sister was a bridesmaid. That was one of the best weddings I've been too and I'm glad!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Saw this one today. Aaaaahhhhh!

http://www.knowable.com/a/this-woman...4636c9c6981813
Old 03-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Old 03-24-2016, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post

Oh my........

True and Constant
Old 06-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

OK, due to a recent wedding, I had to bump this. Plus--it's wedding season, give us your stories!
Old 06-26-2016, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin's first wedding (of three)--took place in a warehouse that was in the process of conversion into a praise cathedral. Horrible acoustics, bad mics, never-ending music, and the bridal party and actual ceremony were lost in the midst of it all. The reception was in a slightly smaller warehouse adjacent to the first, with minimal decor, not enough chairs for the elderly family members of the bride and groom, much less for anyone else, and Cheez-its, dried fruit packets, and (I am not making this up) Hawaiian Punch poured straight from the can into bathroom-sized Dixie cups. The cake, which was a simple sheet cake from a local store bakery, was very good, but because it was the best thing on the table, it was gone before everyone was able to have some.

The bride's mother, who had tried desperately to get bride to let her handle the arrangements, or at least let her spend a little more on more elegant refreshments, and chairs, was mortified over the slim pickings, and infuriated when she learned that the groom and his family had invited the entire congregation of their church to the festivities without informing the bride's family, which accounted for the much larger numbers than expected. Everyone in our family left with an empty stomach and a headache, and my never-married 92-year-old great-aunt summed it up best: when asked if she'd had a good time, she replied, "Oh, it was lovely, but when my turn comes, I think I'll do things a bit differently..."

(The bride--my second cousin--later cheated on Husband #1 with the father of Child #2, dumped him, married and divorced Husband #2/Father of Child #3 within a year, and has been married to H#3/FofC#4 for about three years now...)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Wowzer!
Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Disclaimer: this story was relayed to me by a friend who attended the wedding.

Lovely outdoor ceremony, eagles circling majestically overhead...at least I thought
they were eagles until hubby corrected me and said they were actually buzzards. We felt that this couple was doomed to begin with, and then buzzards are circling? Not a good omen. Sure enough, a few years later and the marriage is ending in divorce!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-27-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Many years ago, when I was a young teenager, a handsome young youth minister came to our small-town Baptist church. Of course, we all fell in "love" with him but even we knew we were far too young so we watched as his romance bloomed with a beautiful young lady more his age.

At their wedding, when told he could kiss his bride, he latched on! I am sure there was tongue involved, and the pastor had to gently remind them that the kiss had gone on long enough. There was tittering, of course.

He went on to be pastor of a fairly large church in another part of the state, and they both ended up rather rotund.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd say it was for one of my husband's cousins. It was a second wedding for both bride and groom so the couple opted to have a smaller ceremony. The wedding was held on July 6 at the Smokey the Bear park in International Falls, MN. The red, white and blue bunting and streamers that were left from the Independence Day celebrations were used as part of the decorations. After the ceremony we all trooped off to the local VFW hall for the reception. About thirty minutes into the reception we noticed that our young children were beginning to slip and slide while dancing. The floor was "sweating" so that dancing came to an end when my then four year old son crashed into his older sister and cousin. The buffet consisted of ham, canned corn and mashed potatoes. The bar consisted of kegs of beer and lemonade. The bride and groom were no where to be seen during the first two hours of the reception. We later found out that they were visiting every downtown bar for free drinks and no one knew when they might show up. The arrived about three hours after the ceremony ended, smashed cake into their kids' faces and then started fighting. Needless to say it was the a wedding that we'll never forget!
Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I was in a sorority sister's wedding that I think was doomed from the beginning. The wedding was held in a very small, historical chapel in a large city. The priest was an hour late to the rehearsal and seemed a little confused when he arrived.

There was no basement or side rooms for changing, so the chapel had large screens set up in the back of the room. On the day of the wedding, the bride was putting her dress on when one of the screens fell, and she screamed, half dressed, as we failed to catch it. The early guests had quite a show!

The organist was I don't remember how late to the actual ceremony, and couldn't be reached (in the days before cell phones). It got to the point where the father of the bride asked if anyone in the congretation knew how to play the organ. He finally did show. Given that the priest was late the night before, we concluded that there was a miscommunication of dates between the person who the chapel was reserved through and the local parish priest and chapel organist.

Our bridesmaids dresses had been handmade by a professional seamstress. The fabric was heavy and unforgiving, and the dresses were so form-fitting that there was no give at all. After the bride walked down the aisle, when the maid of honor crouched down to fluff the bride's dress at the front of the church, she fell over like a roly poly bug! That one didn't last...
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^DZ Turtle86-Not one, but two wardrobe incidents surely is a contender for one of the best stories on this thread!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Please keep these coming! We are three months out...