GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,387
1 members and 1,386 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

They sometimes allow the existing groups to COB for a few days. All depends on the campus situation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2017, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Fingers crossed. My daughter had an interview with Alpha Phi today as part of their colonization process at UGA. They still have a few events over the next week with the final two being by invitation. She has had positive interactions with the ELC staff and she thought her interview went well. I was even able to find an alumna that knows my daughter well to complete a rec.

BTW - the roommate drama continues, but my daughter is continuing to be kind & courteous, focusing on school and staying out of her way until housing can make the necessary room changes.

Last edited by Weaver D; 08-23-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so hopeful that Alpha Phi works out for her! Keeping my fingers crossed about that and her roommate situation.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaver D View Post
Fingers crossed. My daughter had an interview with Alpha Phi today as part of their colonization process at UGA. They still have a few events over the next week with the final two being by invitation. She has had positive interactions with the ELC staff and she thought her interview went well. I was even able to find an alumna that knows my daughter well to complete a rec.

BTW - the roommate drama continues, but my daughter is continuing to be kind & courteous, focusing on school and staying out of her way until housing can make the necessary room changes.
I can so appreciate your situation. My daughter and her roommate freshman year did NOT get along at all- 2 very strong personalities just clashed from the beginning and it made for a horrible 1st term- she was able to move 2nd semester and she was so much happier- on a positive note however, now that they have lived apart for last 2 1/2 years they are friends again and have both "grown up" so to speak. I won't say they are best buddies but they do have a friendly connection once again and I am grateful for that, and that they both have moved past all that and can be positive and encouraging to one another. Stick with it as you don't know how this will end. As for the Alpha Phi colonization, I am so very happy to hear she is pursuing this. When Alpha Phi colononized at Ole Miss- my girl went through it but unfortunately it did not work out well for her- it was a blessing in disguise though as it led her to Theta where she is very happy. I encourage her to continue and let her personality shine!! I am truly hoping and praying for the very best for her. Please do keep us all posted. We are all wishing the very best for her.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

WeaverD, I am so glad your daughter decided to give Alpha Phi a try. Hoping for the best for her!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Crossing my fingers for her
Old 08-26-2017, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter. Hope she finds a home in Alpha Phi. They are a wonderful organization!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

So the roommate situation has been resolved. The other young lady moved out and one of my daughter's high school friends from the same building is moving in!

My daughter also texted me to let me know that she was invited to the Alpha Phi Pref Day event tomorrow night and she is thrilled! Bid Day is Thursday!

It's been over 20 years since interacting with Alpha Phi but they were a strong chapter when I worked at a campus in OH. Looking forward to the opportunity for my daughter.

Last edited by Weaver D; 08-30-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so happy to hear this!! I know different groups do it differently-do you know if a pref invite guarantees a bid?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I'm so happy to hear this!! I know different groups do it differently-do you know if a pref invite guarantees a bid?
No idea, but excited for her!
Old 08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so thrilled and beyond excited for her. I hope this means she's getting a bid. I have my fingers and toes crossed. How very exciting. Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a young friend join at U of Alabama when they colonized. She said at the end of the pref party, they announced that everyone there had a bid.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-31-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I had a young friend join at U of Alabama when they colonized. She said that everyone at at the end of the pref party, they announced that everyone there had a bid.
That sounds like the most exciting/awesome pref party. What fun that would be!

And WeaverD, I'm so happy things are looking up for your daughter. Crossing my fingers Alpha Phi works out for her!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I had a young friend join at U of Alabama when they colonized. She said that everyone at at the end of the pref party, they announced that everyone there had a bid.
That's how we've been doing it lately, but it wasn't always that way, even just a few years ago.

The chapter I advise led the pref ceremony for my own chapter at Michigan when it recolonized a couple years ago. I couldn't go on the buses to that event due to Parents' Weekend at my daughter's college, and I was really, really disappointed when I found out that they were all there for the actual Bid Opening at the pref event and I missed it! They had announced that Bid Day would be the next day, so it was a big surprise.

So I was at a Pi Phi chapter house with my daughter, instead of celebrating the recolonization of my own chapter. It was just one of those times when you really wish you could be at two places at the same time. I really wish I would have been there, because all of the members I advise were so happy for me and so thrilled to be the ones to lead pref and partake in the recolonization rejoicing.

Whether it's tonight or tomorrow, WeaverD, I sincerely hope your daughter finds her home with Alpha Phi.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Proud to say that my daughter received a bid to Alpha Phi!!!! Tomorrow will be the bid ceremony! Thank you all for words of encouragement and support!

Last edited by Weaver D; 08-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.