GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,504
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, ellaussd8014
» Online Users: 2,546
0 members and 2,546 guests
No Members online

Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
It appears the remnants of Isaac are supposed to head right over my alma mater on Saturday, dropping 1.5-5" of rain in 48 hours! They need it though...
yeah, we need the rain, just not all at once! And my parents were supposed to drive over for my son's 5th brithday party on Sunday. No way do I want them driving 3 hours in crazy rain!

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Things were scary after Katrina, but it was a 2/3 when it hit BR.
Heck things were scary in MEMPHIS when the remnants of Katrina made it up there (before I moved to the promised land.) Tore the copper roof on the place I was house sitting in the Harbor Town neighborhood.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Heck things were scary in MEMPHIS when the remnants of Katrina made it up there (before I moved to the promised land.) Tore the copper roof on the place I was house sitting in the Harbor Town neighborhood.
That is scary!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

ALERT! Officials have notified GOSHEP and Tangipahoa Parish government that the dam at Lake Tangipahoa at Percy Quinn State Park is failing. Tangipahoa Parish President Gordon Burgess is calling for a mandatory evacuation of all areas along the Tangipahoa River.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

More about the Mississippi Percy Quinn State Park Dam failing - near McComb, MS

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Tang...167994886.html
Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Jackson County Mississippi

MSEMA - MOSS POINT STREET EVACUATIONS AND FLOODGATE INFORMATION

NEW - At approximately 10 a.m. the Jackson County Emergency Management Agency was notified that Mayor Liddell and Police Chief Davis issued MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for the following areas of Moss Point:

Rose Dr.
Morningview St.
Fairwood Dr.
Eastwood Dr.
Gregory St.
Terrance St.
Canal St.
And the areas east of Karen Street in Kreole within the city limits of Moss Point.

The Mobile Floodgate was opened at 8:30 a.m. this morning and the impact has already happened. The opening of this floodgate has been minimal. The flooding in Jackson County is due to the amount of rain that has fallen in the past 48 hours. The estimate is that 30 inches of rain has fallen.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We just got power, cable, and internet back. So were did I go? GC!
LSU has class tomorrow, they never lost power, and public schools are closed.

ΒΣΦ
Louisiana Preceptor Pi -Exemplar
Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

"BREAKING NEWS: Ole Miss/Oxford/Lafayette County Mississippi under a Tornado WARNING until 5:32. A tornado was spotted in Ponotoc and is heading NW toward NE Lafayette Co."
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

This is one insane thunderstorm. Apparently we're expecting large hail and I'm supposed to stay away from a window but it's just way too cool to look outside.

AHHH LIGHTENING

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Frankenstorm

The east coast is going to get slammed with this bizarre mix of Hurricane Sandy coming from the east and a winter storm coming from the northwest.

http://mobile.wboc.com/wap/news/text...le=Top+Stories

" An unusual nasty mix of a hurricane and a winter storm that forecasters are now calling "Frankenstorm" is likely to blast most of the East Coast next week, focusing the worst of its weather mayhem around New York City and New Jersey."
Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got home from shopping for hurricane supplies.

I had surgery 6 weeks ago on my cervical spine, and I have my first appointment with x-rays to see if I am fusing on Monday. I hope that I don't have to surf there.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in Miami and we're fine. Sandy, I'm not scared of you. BRING IT. I bought supplies for a hurricane...party.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Meh, Sandy is not bringing me anything but pressure related headaches, some wind, and rain. I've lived through many hurricanes and tropical storms, and for us Tropical Storm Fay was the worst because we got 33 inches of rain in 2.5 days. :-P

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Just got back from stocking up on food--I've always wanted to experience a landfalling hurricane, but I didn't think Washington DC would be the place to do it! Our grocery store was cleared out of bottled water and most non-perishables/paper products were being pillaged. Bring it Sandy...just make sure you bring it hard enough that the government goes code red!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Just got back from stocking up on food--I've always wanted to experience a landfalling hurricane, but I didn't think Washington DC would be the place to do it! Our grocery store was cleared out of bottled water and most non-perishables/paper products were being pillaged. Bring it Sandy...just make sure you bring it hard enough that the government goes code red!
It doesn't take much.

I experienced Isabel there back in '03. Although I was lucky and didn't lose power for more than a couple hours in the middle of the night. Friends weren't as lucky and had it out for days. A friend down in Annapolis discovered coconuts on the creek bank behind his house!