GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,412
3 members and 2,409 guests
MSKKG, navane

Old 04-06-2000, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Labeling Theory

Hi. I'm I'm doing a project on groups whose public image can be attributed to the tenents of labeling theory. Basically I'm looking for the labels that have threatened the image of greek life. What has happened to make society publicize the activities of greek life in a negative way and what are the implications of those labels for the current greeks? what are some solutions to these problems?
Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-06-2000, 10:02 AM

Tigger:

A lot of current professors/administrators were in college themselves in the 60’s, when the Greek systems was seen as part of “the Establishment” and according to the custom of the day, was just another of the many things that needed to be eliminated. Now even though these men & women have grown up, they hold these same ideas.

A good example is the attempted destruction of the Greek system at Dartmouth. From what I’ve read, the fraternities and sororities have genuinely tried to reform, but nothing seems to be good enough. They could all take the stay sober pledge, do community service 24/7, and have 4.0’s, but the administration and faculty would still want to get rid of them, on the grounds of “elitism.” Never mind that Greek alums give the most money and that 80% of the students (this includes non-Greeks) support the system.

It’s so ironic that people who went around preaching “peace & love” and “freedom” see nothing wrong with socially engineering students or taking away their choices. But at any rate….I think the negative opinions of administration & faculty, stated or implied, have definitely affected the image of Greeks.
Old 04-06-2000, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

one word: media

The media has definatly helped in creating a bad name for greeks. They will show story after story about the different hazing incedents around the world. I believe that we all need to be made aware of these incedents of course, but the media is one sided. A story about a kid who is beat up and left naked on the side of the road by his fraternity brothers is pretty interesting and it boosts rating. BUT, you never see the story of the greeks who donated their time, money, and energy to build houses for the homeless. You never see the story of the greeks who give scholarships to underprivilidged studenst. You never see the stories about the greeks who help aid in national disaster relief, because that doesn't boost ratings. So the national and international attention that is given to greek systems is only for the bad things that happen, not for the good they do. I made a comment in a previous fourm, you can find 100, 200, 300 articals about hazing incedents, maybe more if you research. However, that is just 300 out of MILLIONS of greeks around the world. I'm not saying that what happened in those 300 incedents was right, I wish to God that nobody was hurt by ignorant people who happened to be greek. BUT, 300(i'm sure over history there are more) bad incedints occurred, but MILLIONS of good things have come from the greek system, but most people don't know that. The media has portrayed geeks as being drunks, whores(both male and female), violent people, selfish, cruel, dumb people. But you will never see them portray us as active in the community, selfless, nice people who give and give and give themselves to an organization.

That's just my opinion though

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 04-06-2000, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

mgdzkm433,

I totally agree. It's very unfortunate that a few stupid people have ruined the reputation of the positive aspects of the Greek System. So what if Greeks party? There are a lot more non-greeks on campus that party! We have 9 GLO's (one had their recognition taken away--by their own stupidity)now, even by some chance that there were 100 active members in each, that's only 900 students. There are thousands more on campus!

They never seem to dwell on the athletes that have notoriously heavy partying habits. The campus and community preaches diversity and equality, yet they break these left and right. Their own children are probably heavier partiers than most of the Greeks!!!
Authority just can't seem to handle that they can't control every aspect of an organization, but you can't tell me that athletes and other organizations don't haze or engage in the other "bad habits" put on Greeks.

Now that this has happened, how can we remedy this? Or can we? I have a feeling we may lose a lot more chapters, especially locals because of all the negativity and increasing restrictions. Who wants their social life to be monitored when they can be non-greek and be left alone?
Old 04-07-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433 :
one word: media

The media has definatly helped in creating a bad name for greeks. They will show story after story about the different hazing incedents around the world. I believe that we all need to be made aware of these incedents of course, but the media is one sided. A story about a kid who is beat up and left naked on the side of the road by his fraternity brothers is pretty interesting and it boosts rating. BUT, you never see the story of the greeks who donated their time, money, and energy to build houses for the homeless. You never see the story of the greeks who give scholarships to underprivilidged studenst. You never see the stories about the greeks who help aid in national disaster relief, because that doesn't boost ratings. So the national and international attention that is given to greek systems is only for the bad things that happen, not for the good they do. I made a comment in a previous fourm, you can find 100, 200, 300 articals about hazing incedents, maybe more if you research. However, that is just 300 out of MILLIONS of greeks around the world. I'm not saying that what happened in those 300 incedents was right, I wish to God that nobody was hurt by ignorant people who happened to be greek. BUT, 300(i'm sure over history there are more) bad incedints occurred, but MILLIONS of good things have come from the greek system, but most people don't know that. The media has portrayed geeks as being drunks, whores(both male and female), violent people, selfish, cruel, dumb people. But you will never see them portray us as active in the community, selfless, nice people who give and give and give themselves to an organization.

That's just my opinion though

mgdzkm433, I agree with what your saying. I have posted stuff on this before under the Dartmouth issue and on "Duncans Greek Discussion Pages". The media does like to promote more negative stuff about greeks which does help with their ratings which leads to money in their pocket. They know that publicizing postive stories or getting the full picture out is too easy and dull to them. I guess the media does tend to stereo type alot of groups and harp on crises. It would be nice some day for one of the prominent greeks on the television networks or Newspapers to help boost the image/public opinion. At least for them to start trying to repair or bandaid what damage the media has done already. One more thing I have to add is that at least the Greek at public colleges and universities have constitutional protections unlike Dartmouth being a private institution. Meaning I guess Dartmouth likes to think that they can make their own law and eliminate the greek community.

Kevin Mullinix
Beta Theta Pi
Epsilon Mu Chapter
George Mason University

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited April 06, 2000).]

Old 04-19-2000, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input. I turn in my project tomorrow. I mainly outlined the negative labels, where they came from, and why they don't have a leg to stand on in the whole scheme of things. It's pretty simple, but I think it'll get the point across.

I'm considering using it as a presentation also, although I don't have to. I just think it might help promote some accurate information to some people who's opinions are based on 1/2 truths or a hyper-sensitivity to only the negatives ( so few compared to the positives!).

You know what? I'm kind of guilty of those misinformed opinions also. I always thought negatively about those who joined GLOs, then I wised up and decided the only way to be able to argue my point intelligently was to actually see what it was really all about. I went through rush to get a sense of what was up. I ended up joining, not because I agree with all the girls views on sorority life, but because of the ideals and values that the sorority was built on.

I do believe though that the GLO's need to do some serious rethinking on some of their current issues, but then what organization doesn't have its ups and downs?

So anyway, thanks for all the input!