GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,407
2 members and 1,405 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

AZPHI Rush process please critic and compare

Last edited by AZPHI JOURNEAUX; 05-07-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM

This whole thing sounds like a Lifetime movie of sorts, except for the part where somebody dies.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPHI JOURNEAUX View Post
Hey guys,

Alpha Zeta Phi is a local Fraternity and we don't have any competition from any other fraternities in the area. So we run things different than anything I've read so far. I am in no way familiar with informal or formal rushing, or dry or whatever else there is, this is how we run things, its worked really well.

The campus runs an event called OrgSmorg basically all the student orgs run booths in a large convention style. its got everything form disc golf club to Rugby team. We set up a booth there and just present what we offer to the people that show up there. with some other PR stunts to promote the name.

From there the week afterwards is rush week.
starts off with an informational meeting just a get to know the Fraternity what we stand for and introduce everyone. then Tuesday is just a game night, board games Video games and such on campus, then Wednesday is a Guys night out, everything from Laser tag to bowling. Thursday are interviews, classic CIA interview style Bright light in the eyes otherwise dark room (trust me they cant see anything) then we vote on who ever signed up for interviews for who is going to be a pledge. Then spend all of Friday making them do random things via emails. (we are extremely careful to avoid hazing) Then set the stage for telling them. they have a wallet and money sitting out and they have their rooms unlocked .... end story we take them to dinner that night.

They have a series of tests and quizzes that they have to pass and they have to make a poster and do a community service event. They have a point value assigned to everything and they have to get a set point value otherwise they cant be voted in.

from there we meet as a brotherhood and vote on the pledges that meet the point level. and thats that.

Its easy its tradition, but we are looking at going national to expand to a new branch so if we need to make changes then we are open to positive comments and constructive criticism

thanks
AZPHI

Some constructive feedback: you say that "we are extremely careful to avoid hazing", however all of the following could be construed as hazing by various current GLOs:
  • Thursday are interviews, classic CIA interview style Bright light in the eyes otherwise dark room (trust me they cant see anything)
  • Then spend all of Friday making them do random things via emails.
  • They have a series of tests and quizzes that they have to pass
There are a couple of other questionable ones as well (making posters, running event, the wallet/door unlock thing, point system, etc- depending on how it's handled). You may want to clarify what hazing is before you say that you don't do it. There are many threads here that involve discussions & debates on what constitutes hazing.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Some constructive feedback: you say that "we are extremely careful to avoid hazing", however all of the following could be construed as hazing by various current GLOs:
  • Thursday are interviews, classic CIA interview style Bright light in the eyes otherwise dark room (trust me they cant see anything)
  • Then spend all of Friday making them do random things via emails.
  • They have a series of tests and quizzes that they have to pass
There are a couple of other questionable ones as well (making posters, running event, the wallet/door unlock thing, point system, etc- depending on how it's handled). You may want to clarify what hazing is before you say that you don't do it. There are many threads here that involve discussions & debates on what constitutes hazing.
Exactly what I was thinking. This stuff sounds exactly like hazing to me. Hazing isn't just making a pledge drink to excess, or bare their bottoms and take a paddle to the ass. There may be no national headquarters to report your org to, but I'm sure the college might appreciate knowing, provided the college recognizes you as a group (which I'm assuming they do since they allow you to participate in the OrgSmorg). I would rethink your whole pledge period procedures and activities if I were an officer in your organization.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by AZPHI JOURNEAUX; 05-07-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

Alpha Zeta Phi is a local Fraternity and we don't have any competition from any other fraternities in the area. So we run things different than anything I've read so far. I am in no way familiar with informal or formal rushing, or dry or whatever else there is, this is how we run things, its worked really well.

The campus runs an event called OrgSmorg basically all the student orgs run booths in a large convention style. its got everything form disc golf club to Rugby team. We set up a booth there and just present what we offer to the people that show up there. with some other PR stunts to promote the name.

From there the week afterwards is rush week.
starts off with an informational meeting just a get to know the Fraternity what we stand for and introduce everyone. then Tuesday is just a game night, board games Video games and such on campus, then Wednesday is a Guys night out, everything from Laser tag to bowling. Thursday are interviews, classic CIA interview style Bright light in the eyes otherwise dark room (trust me they cant see anything) then we vote on who ever signed up for interviews for who is going to be a pledge. Then spend all of Friday making them do random things via emails. (we are extremely careful to avoid hazing) Then set the stage for telling them. they have a wallet and money sitting out and they have their rooms unlocked .... end story we take them to dinner that night.

They have a series of tests and quizzes that they have to pass and they have to make a poster and do a community service event. They have a point value assigned to everything and they have to get a set point value otherwise they cant be voted in.

from there we meet as a brotherhood and vote on the pledges that meet the point level. and thats that.

Its easy its tradition, but we are looking at going national to expand to a new branch so if we need to make changes then we are open to positive comments and constructive criticism

thanks
AZPHI
I read your purpose - "To reinstill and uphold honor, chivalry, and enduring brotherhood, and to promote the core values of this brotherhood through education by action."

Do your actions reflect this?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of the CIA-type interviews for rush -what is the "anything" in your statement "trust me they can't see anything"? And what's the deal with the wallets and unlocked doors? Do you break in? Do you leave a wallet with money as a test? I'm soooo confused.

Also, why would you put your entire program online? Aside from opening the door to risk management review by your campus, it all seems quite random.

I'd rethink your "traditions".

Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Wasn't Alpha Zeta Phi a local on Dickinson campus which later became Phi Sigma Kappa? I could be wrong but, are you trying to become Phi Sigma Kappa? If so, some of the things you are doing could be seen as hazing and you need to stop asap! I looked for Alpha Zeta Phi and all I came across is something talking about them becoming Phi Sigma Kappa.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All of these things are optional, except the tests and quizzes ...and the community service event, they insure a pledge has learned both history, traditions, rules and expectations and parliamentary procedure. as we dont want to take the time to train them after they become brothers.

The fraternity is based on community service we have bylaws that require all active brothers and pledges to go to at minimum one community service event. so this is just getting them prepped for being a brother.

The interviews may be a little sketchy, but they have the option to walk out if they are uncomfortable at any time it isn't counted against them.

some of the random things we ask them to do is Keep your wallet on you, and unbolt the door so we can enter, write a 500 word essay on the Three principles of the fraternity (they have the option of not doing these as well)

this was just a clarification. thanks though.

And I though MTV's Fraternity Life went off the air a few years ago?
Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

They're at Wisconsin-Green Bay.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
They're at Wisconsin-Green Bay.
Wow, you are good! I am horrible at finding things on the net regarding groups, sometimes. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All of these things are optional, except the tests and quizzes ...and the community service event, they insure a pledge has learned both history, traditions, rules and expectations and parliamentary procedure. as we dont want to take the time to train them after they become brothers.

The fraternity is based on community service we have bylaws that require all active brothers and pledges to go to at minimum one community service event. so this is just getting them prepped for being a brother.

The interviews may be a little sketchy, but they have the option to walk out if they are uncomfortable at any time it isn't counted against them.

some of the random things we ask them to do is Keep your wallet on you, and unbolt the door so we can enter, write a 500 word essay on the Three principles of the fraternity (they have the option of not doing these as well)

this was just a clarification. thanks though.
Just because something is optional doesn't mean it isn't hazing. Just the request is enough. Do you really think that someone is going to walk out of an interview and still expect to join the organization? And that it won't reflect poorly on him? I would love to hear how many times a PNM has walked out of the CIA-style interview which didn't have it effect anyone's opinion of him or his chances of joining. Hazing is more psychological than physical- it's about pushing the boundaries to see how far someone is willing to go, and people not standing up to say something isn't right.

We are just trying to tell you that this isn't right.

There have been great social psychology studies on these types of theories. A great (but extreme) example is the Holocaust- many of the soldiers did not agree with Hitler's beliefs but still carried out the brutality he demanded. Had they banded together and stood up to him, much could have been different.

re: the essays, planning the event, etc- as I mentioned before, it's all how it's done. If it is in the spirit of brotherhood, learning, growth, and togetherness- then great. If, however, it is being forced on them with a negative demeanor, if they have the feeling of being pledges rather than new members, if it is something the rest of the chapter wouldn't happily do- it's not right.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-06-2010, 08:08 PM

Not even so much touching hazing aspect of things.

But, like, why do you need to have interviews in the dark with a spotlight like the CIA?

That sounds silly and lame. That doesn't make the interview more "serious." lol. An interview can be plenty serious without all of the dramatics.

And random email tasks? Like, so what if a pledge can send you emails all day long? lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-06-2010, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member