GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,363
0 members and 2,363 guests
No Members online

Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile NEED HELP WITH CLASS PROJECT

Hi everyone!

My name is Paige and I go to University of Houston. I am not in a sorority, but I am doing a project on sorority culture for my health communications class, and I was wondering if any sorority members would be willing to fill out a short ANONYMOUS survey for me?

Not sure where to post this survey, but if someone could point me in the right direction I could post it as soon as I know where, and people could email me their answers.

Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelauren View Post
Hi everyone!

My name is Paige and I go to University of Houston. I am not in a sorority, but I am doing a project on sorority culture for my health communications class, and I was wondering if any sorority members would be willing to fill out a short ANONYMOUS survey for me?

Not sure where to post this survey, but if someone could point me in the right direction I could post it as soon as I know where, and people could email me their answers.

Thanks in advance!
I might, What's the project about, how do sororities play into it? Also how did you come to choose this topic?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Why don't you talk with actual sorority members on your campus, rather than people on a website who for all you know could be a bunch of fakes?

Ohhh, I see. You need this to be ANONYMOUS. So I'm guessing you're going to ask questions that are very offensive in terms of sexual, social and intellectual stereotypes.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Banned

@ 33girl

OP: Is the survey on surveymonkey or some equivalent?

Also, OP: If you haven't already given this survey to the sorority members on your campus, you should do so. Their survey responses can also be anonymous if they can complete and return the survey with no identifiers on their submission.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We have asked a couple of sororities on campus and have gotten a few responses back, but we'd like to have a wider range of data to work with, and given our time restraints, we thought this might be a good option to try.

The questions are mostly health related and how being in a sorority affects one's personal health, either positively or negatively. And yes ONE question does ask about sexual health, but I don't think it's in any way offensive, and it's certainly not to perpetuate any stereotypes.

We chose sororities because we thought it would be an interesting perspective as a sub-culture of the overall "college culture."

And I suppose I would post the survey in a separate thread along with my email address and anyone who wanted to complete it could send it to me.

It's 10 questions, 5 are in depth and 5 are short personal questions.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We have asked a couple of sororities on campus and have gotten a few responses back, but we'd like to have a wider range of data to work with, and given our time restraints, we thought this might be a good option to try.

The questions are mostly health related and how being in a sorority affects one's personal health, either positively or negatively. And yes ONE question does ask about sexual health, but I don't think it's in any way offensive, and it's certainly not to perpetuate any stereotypes.

We chose sororities because we thought it would be an interesting perspective as a sub-culture of the overall "college culture."

And I suppose I would post the survey in a separate thread along with my email address and anyone who wanted to complete it could send it to me.

It's 10 questions, 5 are in depth and 5 are short personal questions.
When you say personal health, what exactly are you looking at. I'm interested, but it's still a very broad description.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We ask questions about personal diet, exercise, stress levels, sexual health and how being in a sorority might affect these aspects of life. Some have said it doesn't at all, other's say it has. We just want to get as much perspective as possible, but our paper is due in 3 weeks.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi everyone!

. . . but I am doing a project on sorority culture for my health communications class, and I was wondering if any sorority members would be willing to fill out a short ANONYMOUS survey for me?
. . .
Thanks in advance!
Hate to point it out, but how on earth can you be sure that any respondents from an internet site are actual members of a sorority?
I suppose you could always divide the responses you collect into a couple of batches. One would be for responses from known sorority members (like ones on your own campus). The other could be presented / labeled as coming from internet responders who may or may not be sorority members.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why don't you talk with actual sorority members on your campus, rather than people on a website who for all you know could be a bunch of fakes?

Ohhh, I see. You need this to be ANONYMOUS. So I'm guessing you're going to ask questions that are very offensive in terms of sexual, social and intellectual stereotypes.
This escalated extremely, albeit predictably, quickly ...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Hate to point it out, but how on earth can you be sure that any respondents from an internet site are actual members of a sorority?
I suppose you could always divide the responses you collect into a couple of batches. One would be for responses from known sorority members (like ones on your own campus). The other could be presented / labeled as coming from internet responders who may or may not be sorority members.
For an undergraduate class project without (I'm certain) a research grant to build a survey panel, I'm sure a sample set of "persons who self-identify as a member of a university sorority" is probably just fine. I doubt she's planning on submitting this to JAMA for chrissakes.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We ask questions about personal diet, exercise, stress levels, sexual health and how being in a sorority might affect these aspects of life. Some have said it doesn't at all, other's say it has. We just want to get as much perspective as possible, but our paper is due in 3 weeks.
Are you looking for college students or alumnae? I think that for many of us we're no longer immersed in the "subculture."