GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,320
2 members and 2,318 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

An MTV recruitment story!

Couldn't think of a good way to replace chapter names, so I decided to use MTV shows. This is going to be delayed a week...bid day for me is Monday!

There are 13 sororities on my campus:
True Life
Parental Control
MADE
Teen Mom
Jersey Shore
Cribs
The Hills
Real World
Disaster Date
Fantasy Factory
The City
Sweet 16
World of Jenks

I'm a sophomore rushing for the second time. I rushed Fall '09 and unfortunately, only received a bid from a house I didn't feel comfortable with or connected to. Since they are a new house, I felt like they only wanted me as a number, rather than a person. I tried to make it work but it never did...I never felt like I belonged. So, after dropping, I wasn't allowed to rush for a full calendar year. But now it's here! I'm excited to see where I'll end up. I definitely feel a lot more comfortable about the process, and my social skills have definitely improved (lost that nervousness that most girls had last year). Hoping it works out!

By the way, recruitment is set up as the following:
Day 1 - School Spirit Day: Meet all 13 houses, 15 minutes each.
Days 2/3 - Philanthropy Days: Visit up to 9 houses between the days, watch videos or do crafts while learning about philanthropies. 40 minutes each.
Days 4/5 - Video Days: Visit up to 6 houses between the days, watch videos about a day in their sorority and get house tours! 45 minutes each.
Day 6 - Preference Day: Visit up to 3 houses, be a part of the sorority's rituals and have dessert. Immediately after, rank the houses and sign your bid card. 1 hour each.
Day 7 - Bid Day!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrachel View Post
Couldn't think of a good way to replace chapter names, so I decided to use MTV shows. This is going to be delayed a week...bid day for me is Monday!

There are 13 sororities on my campus:
True Life
Parental Control
MADE
Teen Mom
Jersey Shore
Cribs
The Hills
Real World
Disaster Date
Fantasy Factory
The City
Sweet 16
World of Jenks

I'm a sophomore rushing for the second time. I rushed Fall '09 and unfortunately, only received a bid from a house I didn't feel comfortable with or connected to. Since they are a new house, I felt like they only wanted me as a number, rather than a person. I tried to make it work but it never did...I never felt like I belonged. So, after dropping, I wasn't allowed to rush for a full calendar year. But now it's here! I'm excited to see where I'll end up. I definitely feel a lot more comfortable about the process, and my social skills have definitely improved (lost that nervousness that most girls had last year). Hoping it works out!

By the way, recruitment is set up as the following:
Day 1 - School Spirit Day: Meet all 13 houses, 15 minutes each.
Days 2/3 - Philanthropy Days: Visit up to 9 houses between the days, watch videos or do crafts while learning about philanthropies. 40 minutes each.
Days 4/5 - Video Days: Visit up to 6 houses between the days, watch videos about a day in their sorority and get house tours! 45 minutes each.
Day 6 - Preference Day: Visit up to 3 houses, be a part of the sorority's rituals and have dessert. Immediately after, rank the houses and sign your bid card. 1 hour each.
Day 7 - Bid Day!
Good luck to you!

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

School Spirit Day!
1) True Life - This was the first house I went to. The girls I talked to were very nice and friendly, but nothing special. I was really shocked when they told me that they loved my confidence…I thought I seemed pretty nervous!
2) Parental Control - The girl I talked to was very nice and laid-back. She described her sorority as the kind of girls I would love to hang out with. However, she seemed very nervous and we didn't click that well. Whenever the conversation would move away from her sorority, she would steer it back, so that's probably why I didn't feel like I related.
3) MADE - The girls were so sweet and friendly. The first girl and I joked about how blind we are without our glasses on, and we ended up just talking a lot. The second girl and I were basically the same person. So far, it’s my favorite house and the most relatable.
4) Teen Mom - This is the house that my roommate/best friend and other best friend that I met last year are in. These girls were very fun and easy to talk to, but that might be because I know a ton of them. I like the girls a lot, but I'm also trying to keep an open mind.
5) Jersey Shore - They were my favorite house last year, and they did not disappoint. These girls were a lot like me and I felt like I knew them forever. They were very nice and I felt comfortable talking to them. Definitely my second choice.
6) Cribs - The conversation was forced and did not flow. She was very nice, but it was hard to talk to her.
7) The Hills - We shared a conversation with another girl and PNM. It felt like a competition to get more attention. Surprisingly, the four of us all came from the same town so we talked a lot about that. This is considered one of our "top" sororities, however, I couldn't see myself being in this sorority.
8) Real World - The girl was really nice. There wasn't anything really special, just average talk.
9) Disaster Date - The girls were very sweet to me and we were talking a good minute after the lights went out (signaling it was time to leave).
10) Fantasy Factory - It was ok. I don't feel connected but I feel like after a couple of days I could get a better feel of the house.
11) The City - She was nice but I didn't feel like we clicked at all. Conversation was pretty dull.
12) Sweet 16 - By this point, I was exhausted, but the girl I was talking to was so nice.
13) World of Jenks - The conversation was fine, until another girl brought her PNM over to share the conversation. It ended up being the two sisters (they were a Big Sis and Little Sis) talking to each other while the PNM and I stood there smiling uncomfortably.

So far my top 3:
- MADE
- Jersey Shore
- Teen Mom

Bottom 4 (ranked, favorite to least):
- The Hills
- The City
- Real World
- Cribs
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

So which house was it that you dropped from your first time? Cribs?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This recruitment had a lot of surprises for me. It was actually Real World that I dropped last year, and I liked them a lot better than I did last year. I was actually very honest with the girl and she seemed to understand, but I still didn't feel as comfortable with their house as I did the others.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM

When you said the chapter you dropped last year was "new" - did you mean they were a colony at the time, or they're just new relative to the other chapters on campus?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's very funny to have such gacky names associated with chapters you actually like. - Disaster Date - Lovely chapter.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so excited to get to the end of the story because I just got done with my bid day party and had so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
When you said the chapter you dropped last year was "new" - did you mean they were a colony at the time, or they're just new relative to the other chapters on campus?
I don't actually know since I'm new to the Greek System and don't understand a lot of it yet. Basically, they were shut down years ago, and just re-started again a couple years back. According to my roommate, they are not officially affiliated with the Panhellenic Council at our school. So I guess that would mean they are a colony? I think. Lol! Although on my school's Greek website, they are linked under "PC Chapters".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think it's very funny to have such gacky names associated with chapters you actually like. - Disaster Date - Lovely chapter.
Haha! I know...I actually had to start looking up names of television shows, and realized after I posted how ironic they were.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I don't actually know since I'm new to the Greek System and don't understand a lot of it yet. Basically, they were shut down years ago, and just re-started again a couple years back. According to my roommate, they are not officially affiliated with the Panhellenic Council at our school. So I guess that would mean they are a colony? I think. Lol! Although on my school's Greek website, they are linked under "PC Chapters".
OK, your roommate is making things more confusing.

If they are one of the 26 NPC groups, they had to be approved by (and officially affiliated with) the Panhel at your school to return to campus.

If they're not one of the 26 NPC groups, I question why they would be participating in all of formal rush.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If they are one of the 26 NPC groups, they had to be approved by (and officially affiliated with) the Panhel at your school to return to campus.
Ahh, I have no idea! I could ask one of my really good friends because she is a part of this chapter. But they are one of the 26 NPC groups & I would think Panhel would approve and affiliate with them...sorry for making this so confusing. I'm pretty confused myself...darn roommate
Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Days – Overall I was very happy with my house schedule...9 houses—it was full! Granted, two of my bottom houses (The Hills and Cribs) were on my list, but that was okay.

Teen Mom – My roommate and my other best friend are both in this house. We kept giggling whenever we saw each other. I ended up liking these girls a lot, but I’m nervous as to whether I like them because I personally liked them, or if it’s because I’m acquainted with them and if they like me because I’m a Teen Mom’s roommate.

MADE – Their house is so gorgeous. I was so excited to go back to them because they were my favorite house from Spirit Day. However, although the conversation went well, it didn’t flow as well as the other ones did. There were 3 girls today, but there wasn’t a deep connection with 2 of them, and I’m bummed about it.

The Hills – This was actually one of the houses on my bottom 4, and a “top house”. I’m so glad that I got called back to them. I felt really comfortable here and the girls and I could not stop talking. We actually had a conversation about how we talk too much. These girls were great and made me feel at home.

World of Jenks – They were so sweet! We all had so much in common. We were literally cutting each other off because we had so much to say. I had a lot in common with the first girl I talked to, who was a pre-med major like me. One of the girls rushing me told me she loved my personality, and my optimism is what the girls in her house were looking for.

---- (Day 2) ----
Parental Control – They were still really laid-back. There were normal conversations but nothing too special. However, when she started talking about living in the house, I could definitely see myself there, studying or just hanging out with the girls.

True Life – I didn’t seem to have anything in common with these girls. I was actually thinking about the time the whole time and wondering when the conversation would be over – it was that awkward. A couple of the girls didn’t seem to care to talk to me, either.

Fantasy Factory– Their house is so gorgeous…probably my favorite out of all the houses. That being said, the girls in it were again, not connecting with me. By now I was wondering why my conversations weren’t going as well as the previous days. Maybe I was just drained.

Jersey Shore – This was my favorite house last year, and it did not disappoint. Still one of my top favorites. The girls and I had a lot in common and joked around about a lot of things. One of the girls in it particularly stood out to me. She made our conversations feel so personal. She kept calling me by name, and we ended up talking about off the wall things. I felt like we clicked so much.

Cribs – The girl was great. We talked for so long and didn’t run out of things to say. Unfortunately, I could not see myself being in this house. It really bummed me out because this one particular girl was so much like me and I could really see myself being her “sister”

Top 3
The Hills
MADE
World of Jenks

Bottom 3
True Life
Cribs
Parental Control
Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

i know you've been a new member for about a month but im so eager to read the rest of your story and find our which sisterhood you're now a part of =)
please finish!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

33, i think that there is time when a chapter is in the colony process, before they are installed and become a chapter, when they are not full fledged voting members of the campus panhellenic. that happens after their installation. maybe this is what her roommate meant?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks!

School Spirit Day!
1) True Life - This was the first house I went to. The girls I talked to were very nice and friendly, but nothing special. I was really shocked when they told me that they loved my confidence…I thought I seemed pretty nervous!
2) Parental Control - The girl I talked to was very nice and laid-back. She described her sorority as the kind of girls I would love to hang out with. However, she seemed very nervous and we didn't click that well. Whenever the conversation would move away from her sorority, she would steer it back, so that's probably why I didn't feel like I related.
3) MADE - The girls were so sweet and friendly. The first girl and I joked about how blind we are without our glasses on, and we ended up just talking a lot. The second girl and I were basically the same person. So far, it’s my favorite house and the most relatable.
4) Teen Mom - This is the house that my roommate/best friend and other best friend that I met last year are in. These girls were very fun and easy to talk to, but that might be because I know a ton of them. I like the girls a lot, but I'm also trying to keep an open mind.
5) Jersey Shore - They were my favorite house last year, and they did not disappoint. These girls were a lot like me and I felt like I knew them forever. They were very nice and I felt comfortable talking to them. Definitely my second choice.
6) Cribs - The conversation was forced and did not flow. She was very nice, but it was hard to talk to her.
7) The Hills - We shared a conversation with another girl and PNM. It felt like a competition to get more attention. Surprisingly, the four of us all came from the same town so we talked a lot about that. This is considered one of our "top" sororities, however, I couldn't see myself being in this sorority.
8) Real World - The girl was really nice. There wasn't anything really special, just average talk.
9) Disaster Date - The girls were very sweet to me and we were talking a good minute after the lights went out (signaling it was time to leave).
10) Fantasy Factory - It was ok. I don't feel connected but I feel like after a couple of days I could get a better feel of the house.
11) The City - She was nice but I didn't feel like we clicked at all. Conversation was pretty dull.
12) Sweet 16 - By this point, I was exhausted, but the girl I was talking to was so nice.
13) World of Jenks - The conversation was fine, until another girl brought her PNM over to share the conversation. It ended up being the two sisters (they were a Big Sis and Little Sis) talking to each other while the PNM and I stood there smiling uncomfortably.

So far my top 3:
- MADE
- Jersey Shore
- Teen Mom

Bottom 4 (ranked, favorite to least):
- The Hills
- The City
- Real World
- Cribs
Quote:
Philanthropy Days – Overall I was very happy with my house schedule...9 houses—it was full! Granted, two of my bottom houses (The Hills and Cribs) were on my list, but that was okay.

Teen Mom – My roommate and my other best friend are both in this house. We kept giggling whenever we saw each other. I ended up liking these girls a lot, but I’m nervous as to whether I like them because I personally liked them, or if it’s because I’m acquainted with them and if they like me because I’m a Teen Mom’s roommate.

MADE – Their house is so gorgeous. I was so excited to go back to them because they were my favorite house from Spirit Day. However, although the conversation went well, it didn’t flow as well as the other ones did. There were 3 girls today, but there wasn’t a deep connection with 2 of them, and I’m bummed about it.

The Hills – This was actually one of the houses on my bottom 4, and a “top house”. I’m so glad that I got called back to them. I felt really comfortable here and the girls and I could not stop talking. We actually had a conversation about how we talk too much. These girls were great and made me feel at home.

World of Jenks – They were so sweet! We all had so much in common. We were literally cutting each other off because we had so much to say. I had a lot in common with the first girl I talked to, who was a pre-med major like me. One of the girls rushing me told me she loved my personality, and my optimism is what the girls in her house were looking for.

---- (Day 2) ----
Parental Control – They were still really laid-back. There were normal conversations but nothing too special. However, when she started talking about living in the house, I could definitely see myself there, studying or just hanging out with the girls.

True Life – I didn’t seem to have anything in common with these girls. I was actually thinking about the time the whole time and wondering when the conversation would be over – it was that awkward. A couple of the girls didn’t seem to care to talk to me, either.

Fantasy Factory– Their house is so gorgeous…probably my favorite out of all the houses. That being said, the girls in it were again, not connecting with me. By now I was wondering why my conversations weren’t going as well as the previous days. Maybe I was just drained.

Jersey Shore – This was my favorite house last year, and it did not disappoint. Still one of my top favorites. The girls and I had a lot in common and joked around about a lot of things. One of the girls in it particularly stood out to me. She made our conversations feel so personal. She kept calling me by name, and we ended up talking about off the wall things. I felt like we clicked so much.

Cribs – The girl was great. We talked for so long and didn’t run out of things to say. Unfortunately, I could not see myself being in this house. It really bummed me out because this one particular girl was so much like me and I could really see myself being her “sister”

Top 3
The Hills
MADE
World of Jenks

Bottom 3
True Life
Cribs
Parental Control
I'd love to hear the ending.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

fill us in girl! im dyingggg to know which chapter you fell in love with!