GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,522
4 members and 1,518 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageantDiamonds View Post
I have a friend who pledged an NPC sorority, but wasn't initiated. She is attempting to AI into a different group, and has almost completed the process. I told her that she should relinquish all of her old letters.
Really...your "friend" is doing this?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a friend who pledged an NPC sorority, but wasn't initiated. She is attempting to AI into a different group, and has almost completed the process. I told her that she should relinquish all of her old letters.
So are you going to relinquish all those KD t-shirts you bought on ebay?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Yes you can as long as it is not part of NIC, NPC, or NHPC.

I used to think the same thing. But I soon came to find out that although it's a common belief amongst the greek world, it is possible to join say an NPHC after being initiated into an NPC or vice versa. I've only heard of one case where a member went from NPHC first to NPC second. It's a lot more common from NPC to NPHC. Obviously I can't speak for all NPHC but I know of 2 NPHC organizations that don't like this, but since they don't have anything specific in their bylaws, it's possible for an interest to do. (I also know this to be the case of at least 1 NPC sorority.) After hearing so much stuff about this topic I decided to simply ask a couple of NPHC members that I know personally and it was the MEMBERS themselves who told me this about their org. Oh, it's frowned upon by all NPHC greeks and they hate it with a passion! But is it possible? Yes, it's possible. But not in those NPHC orgs that have specifically addressed this issue in their bylaws. And plus, I personally know 2 people who have pancaked between NPC and NPHC. I had an extended discussion with them as to their reasons why. I admit I was curious. Believe me, they were not shy at all - on the contrary, they were very open about their experiences. Neither one of them lied to join the seccond organization. Up until this year, I never thought it was possible either.

I'm not advertising for it. I'm not saying I agree with it because I don't. I'm just stating the facts.

Last edited by girlie_girl; 12-16-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:58 AM
GreekChat Member

At Howard it is not uncommon fo rpeople to belong to two or three Greek lettered organizations........they are just all different TYPES of organizations...I am in Tau Beta Sigma (a recognition org) and Gamma Sigma Sigma (a non-social service org)....I have sisters that are TBS/Delta Sigma Pi/AKA, TBS/SAI/AKA, GSS/Phi Sigma Pi/ZPhiB.....and guys who are in more than one frat....ie, the president of Howard is in Alpha Phi Omega and Omegsa Psi Phi.....

it is a very normal part of HU culture to join two or three student orgs....
Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress0105 View Post
it is a very normal part of HU culture to join two or three student orgs....
I didn't know that. That's so interesting to me. Perhaps it has to do with your university's rich NPHC history. I've never heard of it the way you put it: a very normal part of the student culture to belong to 2 or 3 orgs . . . . like it's just expected of each student and something so natural.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlie_girl View Post
Perhaps it has to do with your university's rich NPHC history.

Can you explain this?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Can you explain this?
NPHC organizations founded at Howard University:

Alpha Kappa Alpha (1908)
Omega Psi Phi (1911)

Delta Sigma Theta (1913)

Phi Beta Sigma (1914)
Zeta Phi Beta (1920)
Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
NPHC organizations founded at Howard University:

Alpha Kappa Alpha (1908)
Omega Psi Phi (1911)
Delta Sigma Theta (1913)
Phi Beta Sigma (1914)
Zeta Phi Beta (1920)

Thank you OTW! That's exactly what I meant! With such a rich history, it should not be a surprise that HU naturally expects its students to be leaders in all that they do - why not in the greek culture too?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
So are you going to relinquish all those KD t-shirts you bought on ebay?
Okay, I'm curious - I've seen it posted in several threads today. I'm not doubting any of you guys, but just kinds curious how you all know this in Brandi who-ever, wanna be KD? She's only got 11 posts? Did I miss something?
Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Okay, I'm curious - I've seen it posted in several threads today. I'm not doubting any of you guys, but just kinds curious how you all know this in Brandi who-ever, wanna be KD? She's only got 11 posts? Did I miss something?
For some reason I'm not 100% convinced this is her. I can't help but think that this is just someone who wants us to think that it's her. The profile reeks of the BRC: pageants, Louis Vuitton (she sells "authentic" ones on eBay), etc. etc.

Of course, I could be wrong -- but oh well. The gir's that delusional to do anything, I suppose.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
BrandiRae was KDLady00, from Pearl, MS who had a thing with pagents and pretending she was a KD. So anytime a name shows up that's KD related and the location is Pearl, MS it doesn't take long to figure out that it's her (or someone pretending to be her).
Old 12-25-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It surprises me that a pledge was even given letters.....In most NPC sororites, you can not wear letters until you are full member. The only exception I know of is if a chapter is brand new, then the new member class is allowed to wear letters...

Old 12-25-2007, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
It surprises me that a pledge was even given letters.....In most NPC sororites, you can not wear letters until you are full member. The only exception I know of is if a chapter is brand new, then the new member class is allowed to wear letters...
That is very much an exception, not the rule. While a few sororities have national rules on it, most of them do not, and such rules are made on a chapter by chapter basis. In fact they can be considered hazing.

Our bid day shirts have letters on them, as did those of all of the chapters at our school.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. For years, our new member class received letters on Bid Night/Bid Day, and our former national president was aware of those evenings since she lived near by--if we had been doing anything wrong, we would have heard about it, trust me. The only reason they stopped doing it is because they decided they wanted to wear their fashionable Bid Day shirts designed by chapter sisters instead. However, they are still "shirted" with letters, as well. That is not a standard rule for all NPCs.

Last edited by kathykd2005; 12-25-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, my bad....I know it a rule for Theta, and I had been told by many other members of other GLOs it was for them too....Maybe it was just at those chapters though....

Closed Thread