GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,394
2 members and 1,392 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Dual memberships

I see a lot of sisters here with dual or multiple memberships. I was wondering what that is like, in terms of with which GLO you mostly indentify yourself? Did you join at different points in your life? With which group was your first membership? Are you a lifetime member in all your groups?

I know that we are unique in that membership in Gamma Sig is not restrictive of memberships in other GLOs, given that we are a service organization, but we are a national sorority.

I am not seeking new membership elsewhere; I just wanted to know how you came about in becoming a member into additional groups. Purely a "just wondering" question.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
I am also in the Order of the Eastern Star (PHA), which isn't greek obviously, but still....

The only big difference for me was that I did join at different points of my life. When I pledged Gamma Sig, I was a 19 year old college student. When I joined OES, I was a bit older at 26. I was more mature when I joined OES which was a good thing. I don't think I would have been ready for it if I'd joined at a younger age.

I don't indentify more with one or the other--both are very important to me and I do equal amounts of work with both. I represent for both at all times and both organizations have contributed to who I am as a young woman.

I guess my only concern with Gamma Sigs joining other organizations that are more "prominent" is that they tend to "forget where they came from" and don't give GSS a second thought; thus you have many Gamma Sigs that are leery of those who join the organization just to get service hours to pledge another sorority (it happens). There's not a lot we can do about that other than continue to encourage those members to continue to be active with us.

I too am interested in joining another sorority, but I'm at the point in my life in which I'd really have to be sure if it is something I can handle both time-wise and financial-wise as well. For the moment I'm perfectly happy with my GSS and OES membership; they both keep me equally busy!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-26-2007, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
I guess my only concern with Gamma Sigs joining other organizations that are more "prominent" is that they tend to "forget where they came from" and don't give GSS a second thought; thus you have many Gamma Sigs that are leery of those who join the organization just to get service hours to pledge another sorority (it happens). There's not a lot we can do about that other than continue to encourage those members to continue to be active with us.

Wow, I have never heard of that. Of course, I have been out of college for over 10 years. I do worry about dwindling commitment as the years go on. I know that we are growing in the south, and that is so exciting. I wish I knew the secret to doing so. I would love to see us recolonize some of our old chapters. In my district, I think we have only 2 active collegiate chapters (that might be down to one), and that makes me sad. But, I am proud of our collegiates who continue to thrive.

I am happy to be active in my alumnae chapter, but unfortunately I cannot make convention. I need to find some ways to give more back to the sorority, in addition to service projects. If I was hoping to get some ideas from convention. you have any ideas, let me know. I am the youngest in my alum chapter by about 20 years, and I would hate to see us disappear.

Thanks for the insight.
Hugs!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Wow, I have never heard of that. Of course, I have been out of college for over 10 years. I do worry about dwindling commitment as the years go on. I know that we are growing in the south, and that is so exciting. I wish I knew the secret to doing so. I would love to see us recolonize some of our old chapters. In my district, I think we have only 2 active collegiate chapters (that might be down to one), and that makes me sad. But, I am proud of our collegiates who continue to thrive.
It does happen sis. There are some chapters that have that issue, particularly with those members who go on to pledge an NPHC sorority. Some of that is just because of how GSS may be perceived on that campus. There are some chapters of GSS that have many members that are in other sororities, and that is okay. There are still other chapters in which it's already known on campus, "If you join GSS, you can forget about joining any other sorority". Thus you have the "stepping stone" label that is placed on our sorority. But I do think that is something that the sorority needs to address overall (the dwindling commitment)--because there are a few factors into why that is.

I'm in Georgia, and we are experiencing lots of growth here (there are 4 groups in Atlanta alone!!) as well as in the South. It's because we travel--whether to another chapter in support or to other schools that don't have GSS there. A lot of the inquiries I get are from people who say "I know x person from ABC University and she is a Gamma Sig--I like what they are about" to seeing pics of us on Facebook! That would be something I would encourage members in other areas to do. Get outside of the comfort of your chapter and travel, travel, travel. But I also understand how difficult it can be when you don't have but so many people in that area.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_girl52 View Post
I'm in Georgia, and we are experiencing lots of growth here (there are 4 groups in Atlanta alone!!) as well as in the South. It's because we travel--whether to another chapter in support or to other schools that don't have GSS there. A lot of the inquiries I get are from people who say "I know x person from ABC University and she is a Gamma Sig--I like what they are about" to seeing pics of us on Facebook! That would be something I would encourage members in other areas to do. Get outside of the comfort of your chapter and travel, travel, travel. But I also understand how difficult it can be when you don't have but so many people in that area.
That's a great suggestion. I do try to wear para more, now that aI am in my home state where we had a chapter. Where I lived for the past 10 years, I was in a very rural area. I still wore letters but doing so alone, people are not likely to talk to someone about them. I am soooo bummed I can't go to Convention - imagine the stir all our letters are going to make at the airports! I am hoping that I can go in 2009 (health pending).

I am going to talk to my alum sisters and see what they think. I am the youngest by 20 years, so I can learn from their experience. I just hope that I am not too late in my area. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

being in dual (or more) memberships in other types of orgs (like TBS, a recognition org) isn't so much the issue for me....TBS and GSS serve two totally different funtions...

what i would liek to know is how do those who are both GSS and APO balance the two? how can you equally serve two organizations that essentially are both service groups? i have my own personal opinions on it...but i'd like to hear how that works.....it's like trying to be in two socials in my mind
Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I cant say anything about being in GSS and my other orgs, since being in GSS is my main focus right now.

In college I was in a social sorority (spring 2000) and in TBS (fall 2001) and many of my sisters were in both. I held exec board positions in both and really got the most out of each org. There were some sisters who got mad when you had to go to a Phi Sig initiation over a TBS social event or a TBS convention over a Phi Sig social event, but I made sure to attend the main events of both orgs and then balance out the social things. I loved being in many orgs - as you can tell by my sig. I love being busy and having a lot going on!
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress0105 View Post
being in dual (or more) memberships in other types of orgs (like TBS, a recognition org) isn't so much the issue for me....TBS and GSS serve two totally different funtions...

what i would liek to know is how do those who are both GSS and APO balance the two? how can you equally serve two organizations that essentially are both service groups? i have my own personal opinions on it...but i'd like to hear how that works.....it's like trying to be in two socials in my mind
The one person who I know did that was a brother of Alpha Phi Omega (rechartered the chapter at U of Pennsylvania) as an undergraduate and then went to graduate school at a school where the APO chapter was all-male (Drexel) and decided to pledge GSS while there. Once she graduated, she ended up with her major service as an alumnus to Circle K, which she had joined before either APO or GSS.

That sort of serial membership doesn't surprise me (either like above or transfering schools from a large school where you belong to APO to a small school that only has GSS or vice versa), I would have done it under appropriate conditions. But I agree with the above poster that being active in both APO and GSS on the same campus at the same time would be sort of like belonging to two socials.

YILFS
Randolph Finder
Old 05-13-2007, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

no...i don't mean the average member who is in both...

i'm talking about people who stay involved with the business and function of our orgs past their collegiate years....

if i'm a female APO, but i do GSS later, how can i honestly support the growth and ideals of GSS without going against the idleas and growth of APO? I mean, techinically it's not a competition, but when you start adding adjectives like "biggest" and "premier" when you talk about your org (not calling anyone out...*cough cough*), that indirectly downplays the other.

I could never fully dedicate myself to Alpha Phi Omega because I am Gamma Sig. Period. I serve my org so that GSS re-flourishes and expands even further and grows to levels even beyond my belief....I can't do that if I would also have to pledge myself to the betterment of APO.

Same thing with TBS and KKPsi...I could never serve KKPsi the same way I do TBS because I am what TBS is all about building better bandswomen......how could I serve an org that origianlly didn't even want my female behind in there, and doesn't specifically cater to the unique needs of me as a woman??

I dunno....that's moreso where I was going with this..