GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,071
1 members and 1,070 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
(snip) I relayed to a group of moms whose daughters' schools had not begun rush yet, tips I had heard about unfortunate judgement calls by Bama PNMS. Like the PNM who remained in bed for her video chats with chapters. Or the girl who turned off her video and audio feed for a couple of chapters. Or the PNM who did her video chats in her pjs with bed head. Of the one who was eating during her virtual visit with one chapter. Or the one who started carrying on a conversation with her roommate and ignored the sister trying to talk to her.
I wish you were kidding but I know you're not. This reminds me of a few times when I've interviewed people remotely. Despite stellar credentials, I remember the woman who showed up in a sweatshirt or another who got up during the interview to go to the bathroom and you guessed it - she had on pajama pants.

How is it that people - adults interviewing, much less girls going through rush - don't realize they're "on" in the same way they would be in person???

Last edited by NYCMS; 08-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Sounds like your mentee was well prepared. You made such an interesting observation about the optional video. Is your mentee from OOS?

I relayed to a group of moms whose daughters' schools had not begun rush yet, tips I had heard about unfortunate judgement calls by Bama PNMS. Like the PNM who remained in bed for her video chats with chapters. Or the girl who turned off her video and audio feed for a couple of chapters. Or the PNM who did her video chats in her pjs with bed head. Of the one who was eating during her virtual visit with one chapter. Or the one who started carrying on a conversation with her roommate and ignored the sister trying to talk to her.
I also heard about the PNMs that didn't take the zoom rush seriously. News travels fast. I wonder if the combo of not taking the video chat portion seriously and not submitting the "optional" video is the reason why so many girls are dropping out this year or being dropped from rush. I feel like I'm hearing that this is happening much more than in years past. Hoping that the girls who are still participating have a great pref and find their home. Can't wait to hear how it all ends up this year since it was all virtual.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

How are they doing the Zoom chats if their roommate is also a pnm? I can't imagine trying to engage and focus on a conversation with a roommate doing the same 6 ft away. It must be incredibly distracting!

I keep thinking about all of these online classes about to start under the same scenario and wondering how they will all make it work.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
How are they doing the Zoom chats if their roommate is also a pnm? I can't imagine trying to engage and focus on a conversation with a roommate doing the same 6 ft away. It must be incredibly distracting!

I keep thinking about all of these online classes about to start under the same scenario and wondering how they will all make it work.
Conversely...how are the actives doing Zoom chats if they share an apartment with girls from other sororities? Theres only so many places you can go to get away from people? It all sounds really, really hard!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Headsets or earbuds might help.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Conversely...how are the actives doing Zoom chats if they share an apartment with girls from other sororities? Theres only so many places you can go to get away from people? It all sounds really, really hard!
They are doing them in their bedrooms, closets, bathrooms or any other place where there is not another person. The chapters that I am familiar with gave instructions on buying single color tablecloths that you tape to the wall and then use one of the zoom backgrounds that the chapter created. The virtual backgrounds match the clothing/theme for the day and help everything look "clean" during the breakout sessions and when they do big "everyone" views.

For the chapter I work with, we were not allowed to put the girls in alumnae homes if they had roomies that wore different letters. Seriously, I know some girls that share bedrooms and are recruiting in closets and bathrooms. No one can tell because of the virtual backgrounds. During work week, they got the kinks worked out on their zoom spot. Now, with roomies, it is a little bit of a trust and honor system that the girls aren't "talking." Spoiler alert--they are. This is a year more than ever that it's important for PNMs to be on their best behavior on every single call.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Headsets or earbuds might help.
This reminds me of taking the AP Spanish Test in the 1980's...40 kids in a room (all wearing headsets) and having to talk at the same time. In Spanish. I literally sat there for a full minute saying "Uh, uh..." because I was so distracted.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta1234 View Post
They are doing them in their bedrooms, closets, bathrooms or any other place where there is not another person.
For chapters that are competitive with each other, yet friends and roommates, I foresee lots of "listening through the wall..."
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeStL View Post
Wondering if anyone here has background on the “optional” videos? A girl that I am helping is having a phenomenal virtual recruitment experience. She’s adorable, checks all of the resume boxes, had alumnae recommendations AND MADE A CUTE VIDEO! And got back 13 Philanthropy parties and 8 Sisterhood parties to some very traditionally popular chapters........ Talking to some of the girls on her hall it seemed that the ones that did the optional video had more invites to Philanthropy. Optional does not really mean optional!
SweetHomeSTL, Curious as to how your girl’s rush has ended up. Is she attending her favorites for Pref today? Hope she’s had a great experience and hope she finds the perfect sorority home!
Old 08-15-2020, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAJen View Post
SweetHomeSTL, Curious as to how your girl’s rush has ended up. Is she attending her favorites for Pref today? Hope she’s had a great experience and hope she finds the perfect sorority home!
Unbelievably - yes! She had 8 Sisterhood parties & had a really tough time ranking her favorites but ended up asked back to her top 2 today. Still loves them both, so I will be FaceTiming one happy girl at 1:30 tomorrow.

I think this virtual thing was REALLY up her alley! Not that she couldn’t have done as well in person, but she has time to take notes & mentally process every party in turn without running back and forth in blistered heels and 100 degree temps & humidity. This class of 2020 as a whole is making a lot of lemonade out of their lemons!
Old 08-15-2020, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unbelievably - yes! She had 8 Sisterhood parties & had a really tough time ranking her favorites but ended up asked back to her top 2 today. Still loves them both, so I will be FaceTiming one happy girl at 1:30 tomorrow.

I think this virtual thing was REALLY up her alley! Not that she couldn’t have done as well in person, but she has time to take notes & mentally process every party in turn without running back and forth in blistered heels and 100 degree temps & humidity. This class of 2020 as a whole is making a lot of lemonade out of their lemons!
I’m so glad to hear that!! Sounds like she really went into this with a positive attitude. Hope her day today is great and can’t wait to hear who she’s running home to tomorrow!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Wonderful news! Please keep us updated when you can.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

What time is bid pick up today?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Not as much "tent talk" and PNMs basing more on personal conversations -
Advantage: Virtual Recruitment
Old 08-16-2020, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid day is today! I hope everyone has a great day!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story