GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,530
0 members and 1,530 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiRhoSister View Post
This may not be true at the collegiate level if the non-NPC sorority is a member of the campus Panhel. Your friend will need to check the Panhel rules of her campus or the campus she is transferring to.

If the initiated women quits the non-NPC sorority that is a member of the Panhel, her campus Panhel rules may prevent her from joining any other Panhel sorority. Likewise, if the initiated women transfers to another campus where the non-NPC sorority is a member of the Panhel, that campus Panhel rules may prevent her from joining any other Panhel sorority even if she has quit the non-NPC sorority.

For example, Alpha Sigma Kappa (social eng sorority), and Ceres (social ag sorority), Phi Sigma Rho (social eng sorority) are non-NPC social sororities that do not allow dual membership with NPC sororities and are often members of their campus Panhels.
If a women were to depledge ASK, Ceres, or PhiSigRho then unless there was a campus rule prohibiting it, she is free to join an NPC.
I know people don't like hearing this, but in all reality, it's not the rules of the depledged group that apply...it's the rules of the group that is admitting the woman after she depledged. It's up to them to accept the depledged woman. The unianimous agreements only apply to NPC - and there are similar agreements with NPHC. Now, I will say that I don't think a group that has Pan-Hel or internal rules about accepting depledged women from Non-NPCs should break those rules for anyone.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
If a women were to depledge ASK, Ceres, or PhiSigRho then unless there was a campus rule prohibiting it, she is free to join an NPC.
If a women just "depledges", she is free to join any sorority. I was just refering to the case where a women has been "initiated" into a non-NPC sorority, which is also a campus Panhel member. In such a case, the campus Panhel may have a rule prohibiting the woman from joining any other member of Panhel (NPC or non-NPC).
Old 06-26-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to sound harsh!

This has been discussed so many tmes.

If You are a member of a Major GLO, you cannot Join another.

If You have depledged, You may have to wait a year?

I am not sure, but it seems pretty simple with out belaboring the point?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
IFC to NPHC

Please forgive me if already covered, but there has been little talk regarding denouncing your letters in an IFC fraternity and going through intake with a NPHC organization. Does this happen often? Is it even allowed? A recently deaffiliated Sigma Nu brother (yes, traitor knight, as adequately stated earlier) now just came off probate with Phi Beta Sigma and it just blew my mind!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm betting that Phi Beta Sigma has NO CLUE he was in an NIC group. It's not allowed.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealymc View Post
Please forgive me if already covered, but there has been little talk regarding denouncing your letters in an IFC fraternity and going through intake with a NPHC organization. Does this happen often? Is it even allowed? A recently disaffiliated Sigma Nu brother (yes, traitor knight, as adequately stated earlier) now just came off probate with Phi Beta Sigma and it just blew my mind!
Does this happen often? No it does not. Is it allowed? Only if both fraternities allow it.

I am not familiar with NPHC policies, but as far as the NIC is concerned, an NIC fraternity may initiate a member from other inter/national fraternities (NPHC, IFC, NIC and others) only after the man terminates his membership and is granted a release from IHQ. Having said that, not all NIC (IFC) fraternities may choose to initiate terminated members of other fraternities.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm betting that Phi Beta Sigma has NO CLUE he was in an NIC group.
My thoughts as well.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a small campus. I have a feeling they know. Not to mention he has a car accident injury rending him with one and a half arms - pretty distinctive. And I know from when I was the only black member of Sigma Nu on my campus during my time there (as he was when he dropped letters), that we tend to stick out, especially at All-Greek events.

The thing that pisses me off most is that he owes my organization a crapload of money. I know, we should have gotten rid of him when we realized he was worthless, but at the time, we couldn't be as ruthless as was expected of us. That has DEFINITELY changed. Well, I guess collections can handle that and the Sigmas can have what used to be OUR problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know where i can actually find these regs in writing?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The thing that pisses me off most is that he owes my organization a crapload of money. I know, we should have gotten rid of him when we realized he was worthless, but at the time, we couldn't be as ruthless as was expected of us. That has DEFINITELY changed. Well, I guess collections can handle that and the Sigmas can have what used to be OUR problem.
Definitely allow collections to handle the financial issues.

Quote:
Do you know where i can actually find these regs in writing?
Each fraternity has their own rules regarding membership etc., so you will need to check with the headquarters for both Phi Beta Sigma and Sigma Nu.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Each fraternity has their own rules regarding membership etc., so you will need to check with the headquarters for both Phi Beta Sigma and Sigma Nu.
NIC by-laws, however, do provide as follows:

Section 1. Membership Requirements.

(a) Fraternity Membership. To be eligible for membership in the Conference, a fraternity must:

. . .

(3) Be mutually exclusive of and in competition with other general fraternities, meaning that no member fraternity shall initiate a member of another fraternity until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the fraternity.

So for Sigma Nu, at least, I would think this would be the minimum standard. Sigma Nu could, of course, adopt a more stringent standard but not a less stringent one, no?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is NIC? I've never heard of it before until today. We only ever talked about IFC.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The National Interfraternity Conference. It is the international umbrella organization that most, but not all, social fraternities belong to.

IFC is a campus organization, and membership will vary by campus. Chapters of NIC fraternities will almost always be members, but it may also have non-NIC members.

Put it this way -- Sigma Nu Fraternity is a member of the NIC. Your chapter of Sigma Nu is a member of your campus IFC.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Proud Member of Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity and also a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and for what I read from some of the people on here they got some problems!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What to do?

If you know for a fact that someone is in a NPHC sorority and has now pledged an NPC sorority...should you say something?
Go Chi O!
Closed Thread