GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,703
2 members and 1,701 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Dual Memberships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
I hate to double post but...

This has been an interesting thread and one of the only ones on this topic that hasn't turned ugly. However, considering the number of times this issue is brought up, don't you think it might warrant a sticky either in the Greek Life section or in Sorority (and Fraternity) Recruitment?

It could be quite simple:

Dual Membership

Two NPCs - not allowed
An NPC and an NPHC - not allowed
A local and an NPC - allowed but you may have to drop your membership with the local, ask about it
A service sorority or fraternity and an NPC - allowed

etc., etc.

When someone asks again, they can just be directed to the sticky. End of discussion.

Just a thought.
By popular demand. Allowed/Not Allowed conditions can be posted here and used for future reference.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Two NPHCs - not allowed
Non-NPC and NPHC - may be allowed, check with the organization.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

A service sorority or fraternity and an NPHC - allowed.
Two service sororities and/or fraternities - may be allowed, check with the organizations in question.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
A service sorority or fraternity and an NPHC - allowed.
Two service sororities and/or fraternities - may be allowed, check with the organizations in question.
Actually when I said non-NPC it was inclusive of all other kinds of GLOs. And since I don't know the rules of the other D4 regarding it, I said may be allowed.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Actually when I said non-NPC it was inclusive of all other kinds of GLOs. And since I don't know the rules of the other D4 regarding it, I said may be allowed.
In this case, I think we should distinguish between service GLOs and general/social ones.

For example, I know NPHC orgs don't prohibit GSS or APO membership, but (at least my interpretation of my org's rules) is that you can't join if you were in ANY fraternity that was social/general.

No pledging a latino frat then changing your mind..... no founding a local and then switching teams.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
How about professional, cultural (other than NPHC), or religious based fraternities and sororities?

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 05-02-2007, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad this sticky got posted, because I've been wanting to ask, purely out of curiosity, about (social) locals + NPHC but didn't want to post another annoying thread like the 5 million that get posted a day. I guess Senruset answered sufficiently, unless it is different for NPHC sororities?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
No pledging a latino frat then changing your mind.....
May not be allowed (or at least VERY taboo), but it has been done, more times than you would expect....
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
..... no founding a local and then switching teams.
I have the challenge that call on the issue of local orgs. I don't think that founding or being a member of a local GLO inherently bars you from membership in a more established national social org.

I would think depending on the degree the local was a full-fledged (locally) well-known established fraternity as opposed to it being an unorganized or unincorporated Greek letter club, whether or not your affiliation or association with such an org would disqualify you as a member of an NIC/NPC/NPHC organization would have to be on a case-by-case basis.

While I understand by general principle that such affiliation would disqualify you from joining a larger org, due to the lesser-known and less established nature of such orgs, I wouldn't be so quick to say that such affiliation will shut you out of another org, especially if the likelihood of its existence and being "found out about" falls under the radar.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
Let's see. There is only one service fraternity- APO and two service sororities- GSS and OPA.

APO places no restriction on members joining other organizations or being a member of other orgs (we have long been proud of our members being members of other groups).

I am not aware of either GSS or OPA placing restrictions on their members joining (or being a member) of other organizations. While I wouldn't see a problem with something being in APO & GSS or APO & OPA, some might have an issue with being in GSS & OPA, but am unaware of any such rule. Those who are part of GSS & OPA should be able to add to this.
Section 71 Chair

Last edited by emb021; 05-08-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
Let's see. There is only one service fraternity- APO and two service sororities- GSS and OPA.

APO places no restriction on members joining other organizations or being a member of other orgs (we have long been proud of our members being members of other groups).

I am not aware of either GSS or OPA placing restrictions on their members joining (or being a member) of other organizations. While I wouldn't see a problem with something being in APO & GSS or APO & OPA, some might have an issue with being in GSS & OPA, but am unaware of any such rule. Those who are part of GSS & OPA should be able to add to this.

I am a member of OPA and we place no restrictions on members being a part of any other organization. I agree with APO, we are proud of members who are part of other groups. It helps diversify our group and gives us connections with other groups on campus.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post

There's actually a third service sorority....Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which have both collegiate chapters and non-collegiate chapters.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
Virginia Tech has a local service sorority, Chi Delta Alpha.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post
There's actually a third service sorority....Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which have both collegiate chapters and non-collegiate chapters.
There is also Beta Sigma Phi which also has college and non-collegiate chapters. I am both Beta Sigma Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Two NPHCs - not allowed
Non-NPC and NPHC - may be allowed, check with the organization.

^^ what she said!