GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,521
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zluisswftz3482
» Online Users: 1,559
2 members and 1,557 guests
asamanthashtolz, g41965

Old 06-15-2001, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Thumbs up

i think ive heard a few people diss on Pearl Harbor, but i loved it. It was a bitter/sweet love story, and i like those. Oh yeah, not to mention how sexy Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett looked. I know she didnt have that big a part, but i was very impressed w/ James King's acting debut. I thought she did a good job.
Liz
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2001, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KayDeeCareBear
Talking

I suggest Shrek.

The characters were well animated... I mean, if you like that sort of thing (Which I do!!). It was NOT a children's movie at all, which seems a direction in which quite a few animated movies are leaning. The story was good, but you can tell that the actors, with the exception of Eddie Murphy, were confused with acting in the animation genre. Some of the lines don't sound "real" if you will. The music seemed to be thrown in at the last moment; it doesn't really seem to fit, except for the one part where they arrive at Duloc... Overall, a movie worth seeing. And, if no one does it before me, I'll have a review of Atlantis next Friday!!

Laters!
Old 06-15-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CRMSNTiDEGRL717
Thumbs up

oh yeah, i liked shrek too. And as KayDee said its not a childrens movie.
Old 06-15-2001, 06:23 PM
Wine&Blue

Hey CRMSNTiDEGRL717 I heard the same things about Pearl Harbor. But I loved it. I think you have to go into it prepared to see a love story and not just a war movie.

Roll Tide!
Old 06-16-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Movie Reviews

I am so sick of paying $8-10 for a movie these days and then having it suck....so I am begining a new hread where you can review recent movies and therefore we can all know whether to go see it, so skip it.....
Last night I went to see the Fast and The Furious (opens nationwide June 22nd--I had screening passes). I loved it, i thought it was a very good ACTION movie. There were parts of the story line that could have been a little more developed. I am a little biased because I am in love with Vin Diesel, and all the street racing reminded me of growing up in HS in DC (I was one of those racer groupies) But i did think it was a good movie.

Old 06-16-2001, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

good post UFS, you are so right!

well, I saw "A Knight's Tale" a week or two ago and it was fabulous! I totaally recommend it because I laughed my tooshie off!

[This message has been edited by LeslieAGD (edited June 15, 2001).]
Old 06-16-2001, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I went with my boyfriend to see Tomb Raider. We were sooooooo bored. The movie dragged on forever and the plot wasn't that exciting. I thought it looked like a great movie, but sadly...I was mistaken.
Hootie
Old 06-16-2001, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Swordfish... you'll either love it or you'll completely hate it.

I happened to love it. I usually like Travolta's films (but he's had a few bombs lately). I guess it could be described as a guy film but I still found it interesting. One part that makes it a "guy" film is that there's a topless scene with Halle. I did feel sorry for the father that (for some reason) brought his two sons who appeared to be 10 -11 years old and 12 - 13 years old as there is some sexual content that I wouldn't want my kids to see.

The film reminded me of the Matrix (which I actually didn't like) in the way it was filmed.

The critics all hate it... so that usually means that it's pretty good.

**** Disclaimer.... I will not be held responsible for repayment of ticket price if you don't like the film.****
Old 06-16-2001, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie:
I went with my boyfriend to see Tomb Raider. We were sooooooo bored. The movie dragged on forever and the plot wasn't that exciting. I thought it looked like a great movie, but sadly...I was mistaken.
Hootie
Say it aint so!!! Oh well. I'll just have to go & see if it is that awful, but thanks for the warning. Were the FX good at least?

Old 06-16-2001, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tickledpink:
Say it aint so!!! Oh well. I'll just have to go & see if it is that awful, but thanks for the warning. Were the FX good at least?

Eh...they were good but nothing spectacular. I just had to keep reminding myself that this is a video game, hense how she can do some of the stuff she does.

Old 06-16-2001, 04:04 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

My BF and I had a feeling that everyone was going to see Tomb Raider last night so we decided to go see ATLANTIS. I thought it was a wonderful movie, and if you like Disney movies...you should see this one! Kinda makes you wonder if there really is an Atlantis...
Old 06-17-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey! I finally saw Pearl Harbor last night. It was a WONDERFUL movie. Very sad though. I know I cried for at least half of the movie. During the Pearl Harbor attack scene I started to cry b/c I thought about my grandfather who was stationed in the Pacific during the war. CRMSNTiDEGRL717...you were right. James King did an awesome job in the movie. Hopefully she'll be getting some other parts b/c of Pearl Harbor. If you're looking for a good summer movie to see. I definitely suggest Pearl Harbor. I'm even wanting to see it again!!!!

Allison
Old 06-17-2001, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Great Topic! I have a couple:

Shrek: Overall good. Definately humourous and definately not for the kiddies. I agree with KayDee on the acting not feeling too smooth for certain sequences. Although I thought they still managed to make if flow together smoothly as an entire film. And I liked how the music was kind of thrown in out of nowhere, because it was usually pretty funny. I thought that was intentional, though.

Memento: Excellent. The first couple scenes are hard to follow, because the film is moving backwards in time and it takes a couple minutes to adjust to that. (Even when you know it's supposed to be backtracking). It's sort of a mystery, I guess, because the main character has short-term memory loss and is trying to find his wife's rapist/killer. They weave the characters together in some interesting patterns, and there are some surprises. My boyfriends said it was "expertly written" & I have to agree.

------------------
SilverTurtle

Phi Beta Fraternity: National Professional Association for the Creative & Performing Arts

[This message has been edited by SilverTurtle (edited June 17, 2001).]
Old 06-17-2001, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie:
I just had to keep reminding myself that this is a video game, hense how she can do some of the stuff she does.
That was the exact thing I was going to say! During the movie I was thinking "yea right, the wall is coming alive ", but then remembered it's a video game & that does happen in games. Overall I give it a "C" maybe a "C+". The main problem was that I didn't feel a "connection" to Lara Croft, thus I wasn't rooting for her.

Heidi
Old 06-17-2001, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I just saw Tomb Raider last night...
contrary to some of the reviews here, I enjoyed it.
I've never played that game, so didn't know much about the premise.
I liked Angelina Joulie (sp?); she was HOT all the way through the movie.
The story line was "iffy", but as far as entertainment (brainless entertainment, that is) it was perfect!
The music was great throughout the movie. I am going to pick up the soundtrack today, as a matter of fact.

If you go see it, remember that it is not based on "true life" (which hardly any movies ever are); it was made for simple, gun slinging entertainment.

------------------
Faced with the Divine, I was asked; "What one gift do you seek?"
I answered ever so meekly; "I seek Honor, Truth, Integrity, and Wisdom, yet those are four. How am I to choose?"
The answer came as a pounding whisper; "The four you seek are but one. I grant thee Compassion; for without it the four make none."
Author - me