GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,135
3 members and 1,132 guests
Low D Flat, naraht, sabellashulzez9

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA Rules

OK. Our GPA rules state a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale for members and a chapter cum GPA a little higher (right?).

Do any your schools or schools you know of, impose higher standards for Greeks than the rest of the student body?

My daughter just stated at Indiana State University and they have a 2.5 minimum. This is higher than general student body which only needs a cum of 2.0 to stay. Several majors have higher GPA levels and I am OK with that.

But do you think the Greek system should be singled out and required to maintain higher standards than a non-Greek student?

I will admit I can see both sides and am somewhat in the middle on this thus my asking what do you think.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you are correct. To reiterate what I had posted in the Convention '08 thread...

According to http://www.betathetapi.org:

Quote:
Beta Theta Pi maintains a minimum standard of 2.7 for a chapter GPA and a 2.5 for each member.
According to The Son of Stars, and our Code, Chapter XIII Scholarship, Section 2:

Quote:
SECTION 2. Minimum Chapter Academic Standards and Assisting Procedures: (1) Minimum Chapter Academic Standard: Each chapter shall maintain an academic average for the chapter, consisting of all the grade point averages of all the pledges and all the collegiate members, of no less than 2.5 on a four-point grading scale or its equivalent for each calendar year.
Chapter XIII, Section 3:

Quote:
SECTION 3. Minimum Member Scholastic Requirement: In addition to requirements set forth in Section 2, each chapter should strive to maintain a chapter average equal to or exceeding the local All Men’s Average. In order to achieve that goal, each member is required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of not less than a 2.5 on a four-point grading scale or its equivalent; provided however that any member having at least a 2.5 for the most recent grading period shall be deemed to meet this requirement.
I don't think it's fair for a college/university so single out Greek students in regards to GPA requirements. Instead, they should simply ensure that all students involved on campus, through the various avenues, are academically able to handle the extracurriculars. Otherwise, they shouldn't be doing other things other than studying and making the grades.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham

Last edited by ECUJacob; 08-18-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: code...again
Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I know for sure that Nebraska, as well as both Kansas and Kansas State require a 2.5 to rush...

As far as staying a member? Not sure. At Nebraska, I've never heard of anyone getting dismissed by the University for grades, though it happens all the time that the chapters will give someone the boot...

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

OK. We have established the GPA for our fraternity.

But the question remains...

Do YOU think it is OK for colleges and universities to set higher GPA standards for Greeks than that of the rest of the student population?

At all the schools (with a Greek system) I have checked (the ones my to which my daughter applied), all require a Greek 2.5 or better to pledge and
only a 2.0 to stay in school or non-Greeks.

I understand the need to be academically stronger to help balance the entire college experience.

But that is not the question. I am asking is it OK. there could be some legal issues here in some states.