GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,523
1 members and 1,522 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

What if I had gone to University of Texas like I was supposed to, (instead of choosing Radford because of my boyfriend)? Would I have rushed? Would I have gotten a bid? If not, how would that have changed who I am now?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
-What if I'd gone to USA? Would I have gotten into my mom's chapter there?

-What if I'd gone to 'Bama? Where would I have been given a bid to?

-What if I'd suicided Kappa or AZD? Would I have still gotten a bid?

-What if I'd taken my cousin's suggestions that I go to some of his fraternity's parties the summer before I rushed? Would I have been in a different sorority because of who I met there?

-Who cares, as long as you're happy where you are?

Last edited by bekibug; 02-09-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:14 AM
ADPiZXalum

What if I had listened to myself the first semester of college? I went through Fall Parties in November and ADPi was my last choice out of 9 sororities. My roomie was an in house CHi O legacy and her sister wanted us both. Well, I was less than happy with my grades so I did not return for spring recruitment. A few weeks later ADPi held some open recruitment parties that my roomie convinced me to go to. Reluctantly I did........and I fell in love with it. It was perfect for me.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
What if I'd gone to my backup school, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign? Would I have rushed? Would I have been an Alpha Phi? Several girls I knew from high school ended up joining Alpha Phi at our Beta Alpha chapter.

What if I hadn't joined any sorority and decided to help form the third sorority (local)? I was friends with a lot of the girls and they're colonizing as Phi Sigma Sigma on my campus now. But now I do look back and realize I fit better with Alpha Phi than I do with them.

What if I'd purposely cut Alpha Phi in my mind because my roommate (who I didn't like at all) wanted them so badly? Gamma Phi Beta wanted me pretty badly, but in the end I realized that I'd just have to put up with my roommate as a sister (and now we're actually friends).

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 02-09-2005, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
My what ifs:

What if I had gone to one of the other universities I got into, would I have even considered greek life? I honestly doubt I would have. I knew more people at those schools already and I don't think I would have looked at greek life in terms of trying to meet people.

What if I had gone through formal recruitment instead of COR? I think I would have ended up still ADPi or I would have tried to go where ever my roomie was going.

I am happy though with the way things worked out. Especially since I don't think I would have been as happy at the other schools I got into... and my roomie ended up dropping the sorority she got into... And looking at that chapter I would not have been happy later on there.

ADPi was always a really good fit.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RUASTgrrl
What if I had gone to University of Texas like I was supposed to, (instead of choosing Radford because of my boyfriend)? Would I have rushed? Would I have gotten a bid? If not, how would that have changed who I am now?

I didn't rush at UT because I was in Longhorn Band my freshman year (saxophone so not a complete band nerd

My freshman Liberal Arts Honors advisor told me, "Don't worry, you can do both... I'm sure...."

I believed him because he acted like he knew what was going on, but he didn't really know what he was talking about. After coming early for band tryouts and making it, your life is consumed with band practices and football games --- no time for Formal Recruitment especially since UT recruitment is fairly long and takes up entire days.

And I wasn't one of those that was against Greek Life and "got turned around" and then saw the value of them. When I got the Greek Life brochure in the mail that summer I poured over it looking at all the facts and pictures, thinking, "This is what I want to do." I just also wanted to be in band since it had been a big part of my life and I was fairly good at it.

So in the Spring when girls in my dorm that were Alpha Phis that I had been hanging out with all semester were having a party at the house and invited me, I knew I had to go. I got a bid at my second party and didn't think twice about accepting (each party was several hours long - fun events like karaoke at a bar and a carnival at the house - so lots of time to get to know everyone)

I definitely wonder what would have happened if a small town girl with no legacies or recommendations had gone through Formal Recruitment at UT. But I found the place where I could learn and grow and be a leader, and I am not sure if any other organization could have done that at the time.

Later I found out that my orientaion roommate was an SDT and we got reaquainted after I joined APhi. My best friend in Longhorn Band that year ended up transfering to UHouston and joining Alpha Chi Omega. She was nearly an APhi with me at UT, and I nearly transfered with her to Houston.

So many possibilities, but no regrets.

Last edited by TxAPhi; 02-09-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
-What if I had rushed during my freshman year instead of my sophomore year? Would I have gotten a bid?

-What if my grades had been higher sophomore year? (I got cut from a lot of places after first round for grades...the minimum GPA for most of the houses was a lot higher than the minimum GPA to rush)

-What if I hadn't dropped out and decided to keep checking out the houses I had remaining? Granted, both of them closed before I left the first time around, but had I gotten a bid, could I have made a difference and helped them stay around?

-If I had joined a sorority at IU, would I have rushed APO?

-What if I'd found out about APO earlier and joined before my junior year?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

what if

My only "what if" is....

what if i would have studied better first semester when i was a freshman (we had deferred recruitment) and was able to participate in recruitment then. Would my sister's sorority have cut me then too? If so i couldn't have joined my colony and become a founding sister
Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What if I had gone to Dalhousie or the University of Western Ontario instead of Queen's? Would I have been a collegian member of Alpha Gam?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
What if I had gone to Dalhousie or the University of Western Ontario instead of Queen's? Would I have been a collegian member of Alpha Gam?
That's my "what if" too. After the first informational session, there was never any question in my mind about being a Kappa. I just wonder if I'd be one if I'd gone to Duke or Vanderbilt instead.

And I can't even imagine where I'd be in my life right now if I'd selected one of the colleges without Greek systems that I'd applied to!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I have a lot of "what ifs":

What if:
-I'd gone through rush my freshman year at WVU? My roommate went thru and went Pi Phi. Would I have stayed at WVU instead of transferring?
-I'd gone through pledging my sophomore year at D&E with ZTA?
-I'd put ZTA on my pref. card instead of suiciding Phi Mu my senior year? I didn't receive a bid on bid night, but received bids from both the next day.
-I'd accepted the bid from ZTA my senior year instead of the one from Phi Mu?
-I'd gone through pledging my senior year at D&E with Phi Mu?

I did pledge APO my freshman year at D&E (after learning about the org. at WVU). I would not change that decision for the world!

I also have no "what ifs" about my decision to join Beta Sigma Phi!

It's interesting to think about the "what ifs", but then I think about what I would have missed if any of those senarios had happened... I have to say that I really think things have worked out the way they were supposed to so far!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I've had so many "what if" moments in my life in regards to greek life

-- what if I had better grades than I did, would I have not been cut so hard?

-- what if AGD or SK had kept me for prefs, would they have offered me a bid?

-- what if I had gone to interview with colonizing SDT, would I have been chosen?

The org I did choose was such a great place and was prefect for about 6 weeks, then it went to hell, but that is another thread on GC.

But this is also sounds like regret to me and I have decided that I will no longer regret ANY decisions that I've made it my life, it has made me the person that I am today and I really like who I am now.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I never had a "what if" sorority. Alpha Xi Delta was the only sorority for me.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm new...

I've been reading posts on Greek Chat for over 4 years, and have finally decided to register and post because I think about the "what if" sororities a lot. A brief background on me-I attended Vanderbilt University and just graduated in May 2004. Basically, I went through recruitment by freshman year and joined Delta Gamma...I later realized DG was just not for me (it's a wonderful organization, but I was just overburdened with school work and really felt like I did not join the sorority that fit me.) I disaffiliated Fall 2001 and have since wondered what might have been if I...

~Had written down AOPi or ADPi first on my bid card. I preffed DG, ADPi, and AOPi, and really like all 3. I listened to people say very negative things about ADPi and ignored my gut feelings that they were the organization for me (given my choices.) Or, AOPi could have been great, too, and I had many friends who were a part of that house.

~Had actually loosened up and went to parties my freshman year. I met very few people outside of those who lived on my hall or those in my classes. I really think if I would have gotten out and socialized more I would have had more choices during recruitment. My sophomore year I decided to let myself have fun and met a lot of people-it was too late, though!

~Had known just how serious recruitment is in the South. I had no idea I should have gotten recs...how was I supposed to know that the more elite sororities basically pick the pledges they want just a few weeks into school...also, the legacy thing isn't that important in the South (from what I've seen) unless your mom, sister, and/or grandma, was in the same sorority at the same school. My mom was an AChiO at a college in Indiana and she had me believing that I would automatically be invited to join at Vanderbilt-little did we know many of the girls who go through are legacies, and it really doesn't give you much of an edge!!!

~Had decided to attend another school I was considering: Hanover College, Indiana University, or DePaul University. Going to a school in the midwest would have been a completely different experience! I loved Vanderbilt, though, and wouldn't trade my four years there for the world.

Well, I'll eventually have to post my recruitment story, even though it happened over 4 years ago (I remember it well!) It's really good to know you all have thought about the "what if" sororities and what might have been...I know it's something I think about quite often.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
what if I had gone to Bama instead of UNA.
- I would have gone through rush and
- what if ADPi would have cut me
- I didn't have great grades from high school

What if I had transferred to Bama after a year of UNA
- I was already an ADPi and I chose not to transfer but
- what if I had affiliated with the Bama chapter of ADPi
- I had a few friends that I met by visiting Bama a few weekends and most of them were ADPi's
- would I have had too much fun at Bama and not completed my degree as quickly as I did at UNA.

After meeting girls from so many different chapters and so many different universities I know that I fit in Alpha Delta Pi both as a collegian and as an alumnae but it is wierd to think of how different chapters would have taken me through recruitment differently. W H A T I F . . . . . . .