GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,507
0 members and 1,507 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Question about etiquette

I am a senior and for personal/academic reasons I will be transferring to a new school closer to my hometown (and living with my parents) for my 5th and final year.

The school I’m coming from is a large state university with a prominent greek system and the school I’m transferring to is a smaller college where greek life is not that large/prominent. My chapter is at this new school, however due to my age and financial situation, I will not be trying to affiliate and instead will take the status of alumna member.

This is where it gets complicated; I would like to reach out to the women of this chapter to let them know I’m on campus (so they’re not confused when they see a random girl wearing their letters) and that I would love to meet with some of them and offer help in any way that I can. Can anyone tell me of the proper etiquette to do this? Is it rude to say that I don’t wish to affiliate but would still like to be a little involved with the chapter/get to know some of the women? I’m not looking to be a part of the chapter, just have the level of involvement that any graduated alumna would have and because I’m still college aged I was hoping this would help me to make friends at my new school.

I’ve considered trying to affiliate, but I just don’t have the money for it. Even if the price is right, I live inconveniently far from campus and wouldn’t be able to commit the time that active membership would require. So I’m simply just seeking advice on how to go about this as to not step on any toes or unintentionally come off as rude for not wanting to affiliate.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2015, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrl23 View Post
I am a senior and for personal/academic reasons I will be transferring to a new school closer to my hometown (and living with my parents) for my 5th and final year.

The school I’m coming from is a large state university with a prominent greek system and the school I’m transferring to is a smaller college where greek life is not that large/prominent. My chapter is at this new school, however due to my age and financial situation, I will not be trying to affiliate and instead will take the status of alumna member.

This is where it gets complicated; I would like to reach out to the women of this chapter to let them know I’m on campus (so they’re not confused when they see a random girl wearing their letters) and that I would love to meet with some of them and offer help in any way that I can. Can anyone tell me of the proper etiquette to do this? Is it rude to say that I don’t wish to affiliate but would still like to be a little involved with the chapter/get to know some of the women? I’m not looking to be a part of the chapter, just have the level of involvement that any graduated alumna would have and because I’m still college aged I was hoping this would help me to make friends at my new school.

I’ve considered trying to affiliate, but I just don’t have the money for it. Even if the price is right, I live inconveniently far from campus and wouldn’t be able to commit the time that active membership would require. So I’m simply just seeking advice on how to go about this as to not step on any toes or unintentionally come off as rude for not wanting to affiliate.
I think that's wonderful!
I'd first try sending an e-mail to the president. Just tell her the situation. Does the chapter have a house? chapter room? Ask when would be a good time to come for an informal visit.
If you don't get a reply, try again later. I know some chapters are transitioning to new officers, so our message might get lost.
You have nothing to lose, and friendships to gain!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Also is there an alumnae association or chapter in town? If so, contact them.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think what you've said is at all rude. It's nice of you to check in and introduce yourself. School always has to come first. I would find it odd if you DID affiliate as a 5th year senior. So yes, say hello, introduce yourself to your alumnae association. And don't forget to update your address and email with your sorority headquarters.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think what you said was rude at all either!

Without knowing you organization though, do remember that alumnae may not be able to attend certain events with the chapter depending on organization policies. Things like chapter meetings, helping with recruitment, etc.. may be off limits. Every organization though has different policies, so just wanted to remind you to check into those before offering to help with certain events!

But I'm sure the chapter would respond well to what you've stated!
Old 11-06-2015, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's rude at all, but if you're worried, you don't have to say the words "I don't want to affiliate" - you can just say you transferred as a 5th year senior and went alum. I think the fact that you're a 5th year senior makes a lot of sense and I don't think they'll be offended.
the confidence in our actions,
and the purpose in our hearts.