GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,339
1 members and 1,338 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Is it geography, though, or age? Are the houses in the SW states as old?

Illinois has a weird thing where everyone put on an addition in the 60's, so there are lots of timeless houses with some weird box slapped on the side.
Hi! haven't been paying attention to GC for a few days.

The Theta, PiPhi, Kappa facilities at UofA (Arizona, folks) go back to circa 1917. I adore the Kappa and PiPhi facilities... truth: I have major envy of the Kappa property. Major. It is simply spectacular, IMO. I believe 70+ members can live in!

Architecture:in Tucson there's a hodge-podge/mishmash of styles, depending on when building occurred. Not a unified look at all, like Santa Fe NM, for example.

I will take AZ-Alpha Xi with me, go for a walk, and get photos (she's better at it than I am) of the facilities on our campus.

There are two fairly NEW facilities on campus, and just for fun, I'm going to not say which ones they are. I'll post photos and see if you guys can guess (no cheating from the AZ folks on GC, please).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdeltaz View Post
My closest metro area is Tidewater/Hampton Roads, Virginia and that panhellenic alum chapter is closed. Can y'all help direct us to some other options? THANK YOU!!!
When helping a friend whose daughter was going through recruitment at Alabama, we found Alumnae groups are easy to find on the web sites of different GLO's. But do got through the usual rounds before you cold call an Alumna Chapter President. Ask your physicians, school teachers, neighbors, pastors, volunteer-friends, whom they know. I bet some of those rec writers you know can help you find those other GLO alumnae.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If daughter has year-older friends who pledged, ask them where their recs came from.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't even think of looking at each national sorority's individual website, but after she did, she found some local contacts.

Since we are so far away from Ole Miss, we didn't think we'd have much luck finding anyone who had gone there, but my daughter had her Ole Miss shirt on at a church function the other day and a lady came up and asked her about it. It turns out she was a Phi Mu at Ole Miss. She had seen my daughter on worship team and offered to write a rec for her. :-)

Again, thank you for your help.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I didn't even think of looking at each national sorority's individual website, but after she did, she found some local contacts.

Since we are so far away from Ole Miss, we didn't think we'd have much luck finding anyone who had gone there, but my daughter had her Ole Miss shirt on at a church function the other day and a lady came up and asked her about it. It turns out she was a Phi Mu at Ole Miss. She had seen my daughter on worship team and offered to write a rec for her. :-)

It sounds like you know this, but just to be extra clear, the recs don't have to be from women who attended Ole Miss.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You might ask this lady if she knows anyone else who could help with recs. She probably does and might be able to point you at other Greek women in your church.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
You might ask this lady if she knows anyone else who could help with recs. She probably does and might be able to point you at other Greek women in your church.

We are going to ask her if she will direct us to some other greeks she may know at Ole Miss. She is such a sweet lady.

Actually, I am on staff at our church so I've been through most of the membership already checking for sorority affiliations. I had missed this lady because she is fairly new to our church and our congregation is pretty large.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

And they don't have to have attended Ole Miss...anywhere will do.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post

The Theta, PiPhi, Kappa facilities at UofA (Arizona, folks) go back to circa 1917. I adore the Kappa and PiPhi facilities... truth: I have major envy of the Kappa property. Major. It is simply spectacular, IMO. I believe 70+ members can live in!

Architecture:in Tucson there's a hodge-podge/mishmash of styles, depending on when building occurred. Not a unified look at all, like Santa Fe NM, for example.

I will take AZ-Alpha Xi with me, go for a walk, and get photos (she's better at it than I am) of the facilities on our campus.

There are two fairly NEW facilities on campus, and just for fun, I'm going to not say which ones they are. I'll post photos and see if you guys can guess (no cheating from the AZ folks on GC, please).
Gamma Phi's pink palace is another oldie. It was built in 1925 and houses 59 women.

Historic preservation is one of my hobbies and I love looking at old sorority and fraternity houses. In my research I've seen many of the original houses of chapters that now have houses that were built in the latter part of the 20th century. The styles were much more homogenous and very typical of the southwest during the time they were built.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like we need a University of Arizona Greek Architecture Thread?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
Ole Miss Panhellenic has a Pintrest Account. They have boards with suggestions of what to wear for each round and Boards for each chapter on campus.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post
Ole Miss Panhellenic has a Pintrest Account. They have boards with suggestions of what to wear for each round and Boards for each chapter on campus.
That is a great link! Thank you for posting that.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post
what a fabulous idea. hopefully other college panhellenic orgs. will do the same.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascination View Post
It is unfortunate if the ADPi chapter suffered from the lack of foresight of those adults who selected their house office-building style architecture in the first place. Hope I'm not being too harsh, but what were they thinking? A good mid-century modern home in the right setting can be fabulous, but not on Sorority Row at Ole Miss. I wish much success to whichever group is chosen to colonize next.
I'm an ADPi and that house is UGLY. Compared to the other houses, I see why it was a HUGE deterrent.

That being said I would LOVE for ADPi to present and try to recolonize our chapter there.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-19-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post

I know one of them (LOL). I've got pics of our house. I think I've got a "before" and "after". Definitely an "after".

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt