GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,496
1 members and 2,495 guests
navane

Old 12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm... I get the feeling that this thread went down the "path of the right label". Fratty as a term of description grates on my eardrums but whatever. The point, I think, is that simply put the way a fraternity man dresses is the way a fraternity man dresses. It has less to do with brands and more to do with attitude and confidence. When you can walk into a gathering of dozens or even hundreds and you are dressed differently than everyone else and THEY immediately realize they are dressed wrong then you have it.
The real "old row" houses could give a damn less where you buy your clothes but rather how you wear them. Confidence and attitude. Yes, there is a bit of arrogance attached to it, but not too much. You know that what you do is right by the simple fact that you do it. You just don't make a big deal about it. So, 'relaxed' is a big part of it as well.
I would look hard and think twice about any house that was too overtly label conscious. A gentleman does not wear his tailor's label on the outside of his clothes.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonpi View Post
Pretty prevalent throughout the South.
No, it's not.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I add Sperry to the list? I was looking through my closet as I read the lists, and that was the only major thing missing that's considered "fratty" up here.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

For a girl, it is always a Northface jacket and Uggs! You must have a Northface back and a Vera Bradley purse as well. Abercrombie has cute girl clothes but yeah i've never owned Aeropostle or American Eagle. I like Lacoste and Lucky Brand Jeans and Ralph Lauren. J Crew is like so 1990's. Banana Republic is also cute for girls mostly.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Can I add Sperry to the list? I was looking through my closet as I read the lists, and that was the only major thing missing that's considered "fratty" up here.
Sperry and Cole Haan for sure.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Polo has become the number one staple that you'll probably see among ALL universities and fraternities. It is highly likely that you'll see people wear Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh, etc.... As far as footwear goes, just hit a Dillards and go to the mens section. Almost any of it can be worn with any fraternity staple clothing, Sperry's seem to be the number one casual footwear of choice though, save formal type events. When it comes to winter wear, Columbia, Mountain Hardware, and Patagonia. Try to stay away from North Face though, as half the fraternal community take offense to it now since it has been picked up by so many in anti-greek system.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
For a girl, it is always a Northface jacket and Uggs! You must have a Northface back and a Vera Bradley purse as well. Abercrombie has cute girl clothes but yeah i've never owned Aeropostle or American Eagle. I like Lacoste and Lucky Brand Jeans and Ralph Lauren. J Crew is like so 1990's. Banana Republic is also cute for girls mostly.
Isn't Vera over yet? When you can buy knockoffs of it in every local drugstore and gas station I would think it would be over. Ditto the Uggs.

I mean when I was in school, the minute something was knocked off we didn't touch it....I guess students today just don't get it, or are less cool and more stupid and sheeplike in general.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
I hope this is a joke. Seriously.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaniels2 View Post
Polo has become the number one staple that you'll probably see among ALL universities and fraternities. It is highly likely that you'll see people wear Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh, etc.... As far as footwear goes, just hit a Dillards and go to the mens section. Almost any of it can be worn with any fraternity staple clothing, Sperry's seem to be the number one casual footwear of choice though, save formal type events. When it comes to winter wear, Columbia, Mountain Hardware, and Patagonia. Try to stay away from North Face though, as half the fraternal community take offense to it now since it has been picked up by so many in anti-greek system.

Absolutely. I'm a polo brand whore
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Isn't Vera over yet? When you can buy knockoffs of it in every local drugstore and gas station I would think it would be over. Ditto the Uggs.

I mean when I was in school, the minute something was knocked off we didn't touch it....I guess students today just don't get it, or are less cool and more stupid and sheeplike in general.
idk, the sororities here seem to be hopping all over Vera still.

It could be one of those things like Ralph Lauren, though: I know when I'm looking at Polo from Kohl's and when I'm looking at Polo from the Ralph Lauren outlet or online.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
I rock the rainbow-colored suspenders and drive a Pontiac Fiero.

Fratty?

p a w e a since 1899
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
idk, the sororities here seem to be hopping all over Vera still.

It could be one of those things like Ralph Lauren, though: I know when I'm looking at Polo from Kohl's and when I'm looking at Polo from the Ralph Lauren outlet or online.
Obviously from the north......mwahahaha. Where in Michigan are you from?
Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonpi View Post
Gotta have some wranglers and boots as well.
People actually wear that? ...like....not as a joke?

As for here, it's pretty much labels (Polo, Northface, Columbia, etc.) and pastel colored short shorts. I know that for rush our entire IFC board wore jorts...which I am hoping was a joke.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the things I love about living in Texas is the non-ironic wearing of Wranglers and boots. "Fratty"? Perhaps not. Cool? Yep. I love seeing businessmen in their expensive suits - wearing boots. Come rodeo time in Houston, western wear will be everywhere. Love, love, love it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
One of the things I love about living in Texas is the non-ironic wearing of Wranglers and boots. "Fratty"? Perhaps not. Cool? Yep. I love seeing businessmen in their expensive suits - wearing boots. Come rodeo time in Houston, western wear will be everywhere. Love, love, love it.
I saw that far too often in Fort Worth. Thank goodness for cosmopolitan Dallas -- I don't have to look at it much anymore