GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,561
2 members and 2,559 guests
JayhawkAOII, Sen's Revenge

Old 04-02-2000, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Should I rush?

I've got a question about rush and joining a sorority. At my university, women's rush is only in the fall. I went through rush when I was a freshman, but I wasn't really able to enjoy it, as I was having major roommate troubles and so on. So needless to say, I did not pledge. I finished my freshman year, and had decided that I wanted to rush the next fall when I would be a sophomore. I did, and I had a pretty good feeling of the sorority I wanted to pledge, but on the last day of rush, I did not get invited back to that particular one. This was really upsetting, I had thought that things were going great, and plus I had also had a reccommendation letter from an alum of that sorority that I sent in when I filled out my rush application that I thought would help. This was the only organization I really felt like I would like to pledge, had I received a bid, so since I didn't get one, I dropped out of rush. I could really use some advice: since I will be a junior next fall will it look weird if I rush again? I still would be interested in pledging the same one, but I am worried about looking like some kind of weirdo for rushing 3 years in a row. If girls out there have any advice on this situation, I would appreciate it. If anyone wants to email me the address is:
aprincess_4ever@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2000, 02:54 PM

Talking

If you do decide to go through rush again there are some things you should keep in mind.

1) The chapter you wanted could have changed A LOT in the last year. You may realize that it's actually not the one for you.

2) Maybe you just met the wrong girls in the other chapters last year. They could be gone by now, and you could decide that the chapter you despised last year is perfect this year.

3) If girls ask why you rushed over and over be honest! I can't stress this enough. I remember a girl who was really impressing one of my sisters but she lied about why she rushed two years in a row. That cost her even an invite back.

There could be a number of reasons why you didn't get asked back. I've seen girls that we really wanted not get asked back simply because they weren't high enough on the lists. Does your school have COB/informal rush. This could be an option instead of formal. Talk to the Greek advisor about your options in that case.

Good Luck
Old 04-02-2000, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Another question: does it matter though that I would be older than the rest of those who are going through rush? Considering a majority of everyone else who does rush, at least where I am, is a freshmen?
Old 04-02-2000, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Princess,

I rushed last fall and I was way older then the other rushees. Just be yourself and it shouldn't matter how old you are. Good luck to you
Old 04-04-2000, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I definately think that if you are this interested in rush, and you would actually be willing to go through rush again, then you should give it a try. I also agree that you should be totally up front and honest about why you have rushed so many times. It will impress sisters that you are honest.
Some other suggestions
1. Wear something, a necklace or a purse that makes you stand out so you are easily remembered. (it's hard to keep track of so many people)

2. Keep an open mind. People and things do change. And just because you see yourself in a chapter doesn't mean that is definately the one for you. If you went in with a closed mind last time, you weren't really giving the others a fair chance.

3. Remember that with the sororities that do keep you that they see something special in you, so look to see if you can find something special in them.

Plus with the age thing, many people pledge later. I had a new member once that was 23, and she was only around for a semester but she had a profound impact on my chapter.
It's not how long you are with them, it's what you do once you are in.

I wish you the best of luck, and seriously mean to keep an open mind and heart.
Old 04-19-2000, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Don't forget that a lot of transfers rush too and they are also in their third year, so you are not too old at all. We have a sister who was 25 year old when she rushed our house, fresh out of the army, but she had an awesome personality and she had so many experiences to share. If they do not accept you for your age or even your determination, then you have no need to respect their judgement. Keep on trying, it's worth it!
Old 06-29-2000, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I too rushed as an incoming freshman and then declined a bid, because I worried too much about how the girls from my high school felt about that particular chapter. After a year of being independent, I've realized that the important thing is how you feel about the chapter and the women in it. I am rushing again this fall as a sophomore and will be happy at any of the chapters at UF. I think the most important thing is be yourself and keep an open mind.
Old 06-30-2000, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I was also considering rushing again, as a junior. I did not get an opportunity to rush until my soph year, because I transferred schools second semester of frosh year, and my school also only has fall rush. I dropped out last year before pref night, and am now debating whether or not to re-rush.

Greek Affairs at my school has told me that last year about 10 juniors rushed and "about half were placed" Also, they said that most chapters have a policy of cutting someone that they have cut in previous years...so that means I'll get cut from 9 of the 10 houses. I think i'm going to go for it, even though my chances are slim...any other Juniors out there with the same problem?
Old 06-30-2000, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Princess,

Several of the Founders of my chapter were in their junior or senior year, and one among us was veteran going through college after active duty. She was in her late 20s. So don't let age bother you!
Old 06-30-2000, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, they said that most chapters have a policy of cutting someone that they have cut in previous years...so that means I'll get cut from 9 of the 10 houses. I think i'm going to go for it, even though my chances are slim...any other Juniors out there with the same problem?

How can I find out if the chapters of the sororities at my school have this policy of cutting someone that they have cut in previous years or not? Would the Greek Advisor at my school be able to tell me that specific information? I would hate to rush again and have the same outcome as the years past. This year I feel like I am ready and that I could make a positive addition, but I don't want it to be a waste of time?
Old 06-30-2000, 09:30 PM

Talking

Princess

First off I'd be shocked if any chapters have this policy. It's most likely one of those urban legends. Someone probably said that once because you're not allowed to know why you get cut.

Second off if this somehow is a policy you'd never be told and the Greek Advisor wouldn't know either. Each national has their own methods. The methods are secret and guarded as closely as ritual.

I'd advise you to either go through formal rush and be completely honest and yourself or find out if COB is an option. If you have friends in sororities they can tell you if their own chapter is likely to have COB and are probably enough in the know to figure out if other chapters will COB.
Old 07-01-2000, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl:
Princess

First off I'd be shocked if any chapters have this policy. It's most likely one of those urban legends. Someone probably said that once because you're not allowed to know why you get cut.

Second off if this somehow is a policy you'd never be told and the Greek Advisor wouldn't know either. Each national has their own methods. The methods are secret and guarded as closely as ritual.

I'd advise you to either go through formal rush and be completely honest and yourself or find out if COB is an option. If you have friends in sororities they can tell you if their own chapter is likely to have COB and are probably enough in the know to figure out if other chapters will COB.
See, I talked to Greek Affairs at my school about this, and they said that each chapter has their own policy, but that most on my campus have the policy of cutting automatically the next time around. This is if they have cut you for something other than lack of recs or grades.

I was cut from 8 of 10 houses my first day and I had a 3.5 and was under the impression I had recs for all houses on campus. An advisor told me that probably something had gotten messed up with my recs, because that was *wierd*. So that a house may invite me back.

At my school, Greek Life is a religion. Its a large southern school, and last year 800 girls rushed. Its crazy, and I don't doubt that they would cut automatically if you rushed again..