GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,079
1 members and 1,078 guests
Sarak24034

Old 12-19-2011, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeV86
Question Lost

I'm lost what do a persons clothes have to do with being in a fraternity?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV86 View Post
It's just... a lot of guys in your traditional IFC fraternity, at least in my experience, tend to dress in a certain manner. Your style of dress helps for you to fit into that social scene with more ease and not stand out. In fact, it can even help identify you as someone that is part of a fraternity. For instance, I can tell on campus if a person is a pledge/brother and it's even to the point where I can tell which fraternity they belong to based on their dress. (If it's a Monday and the guy is dressed up in a blazer, with a certain tie, they're a pledge of fraternity X. Or, one fraternity has a reputation where their guys are almost wearing those fishing shirts.)
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV86 View Post
In reply to your question I copied my earlier comment as I believe it speaks to the issue. I submit that regarding clothes, it is more a matter of how one wears them rather than their labels and brand identifications. Preoccupation with labels and specific brands suggests a terribly shallow outlook.

Copied from my last posting:

"Hmmm... I get the feeling that this thread went down the "path of the right label". Fratty as a term of description grates on my eardrums but whatever. The point, I think, is that simply put - the way a fraternity man dresses is the way a fraternity man dresses. It has less to do with brands and more to do with attitude and confidence. When you can walk into a gathering of dozens or even hundreds and you are dressed differently than everyone else and THEY immediately realize THEY are dressed wrong then you have it.
The real "old row" houses could give a damn less where you buy your clothes but rather how you wear them. Confidence and attitude. Yes, there is a bit of arrogance attached to it, but not too much. You know that what you do is right by the simple fact that you do it. You just don't make a big deal about it. So, 'relaxed' is a big part of it as well.
I would look hard and think twice about any house that was too overtly label conscious. A gentleman does not wear his tailor's label on the outside of his clothes."
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

They make knock-off Louis Vuitton but I still have my phone case from there. They make knock-off Coach and I still have my Coach umbrella and ensemble. I have to say I am confused by the anti-greek community or whatever comment wearing north face or any brand. The world is a big place so i'm sure lots of non Greeks wear Ralph Lauren. My brother is 11 and wears it and of course is not Greek yet. In the South we all wear Northface , leggings and Uggs.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
In the South we all wear Northface , leggings and Uggs.
Srsly?

What turnip truck did you fall off?

Uggs? I think I just died a little.

I'm still hoping this username is a joke.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you are just old, fashion changes in the 10 years since you joined this site and were Greek. Just like the comment about Vera Bradley all our letters are made in her patterns, for every chapter on campus. It's the hot style.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_tuck View Post
Maybe you are just old, fashion changes in the 10 years since you joined this site and were Greek. Just like the comment about Vera Bradley all our letters are made in her patterns, for every chapter on campus. It's the hot style.
First of all, I AM Greek - it's not a past-tense thing.

Second, Vera might be big on YOUR campus, but your campus =/= The South.

Third, fashion is part of my "business", I may be a lifestyle model and not a fashion model, but I do keep up with fashion. Plus, I'm also a model scout, so it's in my best interest to keep an eye on the fashion world.

And save the "old" for your grandma, I'm not even 30.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I have NO idea what's popular in the south, but up here in the Northwest uggs, leggings and Northface are still pretty popular. Not saying its a look I love either, but I'm middle-aged, so no one's asking me. I'll be the first to say we are hardly on the cutting edge of fashion, but we don't have a lot of turnip trucks around to fall off of either.

Of course, other than the Northface, the other two things are moot since I don't THINK any fraternity guy would wear the leggings or the uggs. Than again, you never know on the west coast. LOL>

Last edited by AXOmom; 12-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the idea of a fraternity guy wearing Vera and uggs is pretty comical
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I have seen guys (not fraternity guys,though) wearing leggings and UGGs, but I hang out at theatres, Renaissance Festivals and my modeling agency, so I don't really count as far as that goes.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I have seen guys (not fraternity guys,though) wearing leggings and UGGs, but I hang out at theatres, Renaissance Festivals and my modeling agency, so I don't really count as far as that goes.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Yep.

See also: http://blog.wolfvsgoat.com/2010/10/uggs-on-men.html