GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,380
1 members and 2,379 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: I live in Atlanta, GA, born and raised in Toronto, ON until 10 years of age.
I need help rushing as a sophomore

Hi, I am a sophomore and I want to rush because I didn't rush last year and all of my friends in high school are now in fraternities and I feel left out. I have friends already in a few fraternities at school but I don't want to join those ones that their in. Is it a good idea to rush for fraternities that I know absolutely no one in and being a sophomore? Also is it harder for sophomores to join because my school is mostly fraternity driven and I want to meet more people? Please help me out guys...
Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterson90 View Post
Hi, I am a sophomore and I want to rush because I didn't rush last year and all of my friends in high school are now in fraternities and I feel left out. I have friends already in a few fraternities at school but I don't want to join those ones that their in. Is it a good idea to rush for fraternities that I know absolutely no one in and being a sophomore? Also is it harder for sophomores to join because my school is mostly fraternity driven and I want to meet more people? Please help me out guys...
Are your high school friends all at the same college you are?? You need to transfer schools and meet some new people.

Join the group you like the best, don't worry about some ratio of how many guys you know or don't know in it. You will meet new people no matter what group you join.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Why don't you ask your aforementioned friends these questions? Often, run-on sentences and misspellings aren't orally noticeable. So they won't question whether or not you're in college in the first place (because I am).

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE MY AGE WRITE?!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how competitive your campus is, but if it is very competitive joining a chapter where you already know people will be a big help, and might even be your only chance. Don't feel like you have to join one of these chapters if you don't like them, but it could boost your chance (depending on campus).

Also, don't write a house off because of the people you don't know yet. I was hesitant before rush because, even though I had a few friends in the chapter, I didn't think I would get along with most of the brothers. This was stupid because I don't know why I wouldn't like people my friends thought were good enough to call brothers, but I soon realized this and ended up getting along with pretty much everyone in my chapter.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It's ok to be at a school with a lot of high school friends, and you can use this to your advantage. Talk to them about the process, the houses and stuff like that. Two of my closest friends from high school went to the same college as I did, and we all joined different houses. I would not have necessarily have joined their houses--or they mine--and it was good to get a new group of friends, but it was also good to know that my long-time friends were always around.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If you want to get a bid to a Fraternity, your best bet is to make friends with the guys in the Fraternity you want to be in.

I know that most of the guys I recruit into my Fraternity are people who were my friends first.

Make good friends with them, and then when you get the chance, let them know you want to join. They'll probably be more than excited to hear it, and you will have a much easier time getting a bid.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterson90 View Post
Listen. I rushed in the spring of my Sophomore year. I didnt know a single person in the fraternity that I wanted a bid from, but I knew it was what I wanted to do. I followed the rush "parties" online and went to one. Then I kept going back. I could see myself being great friends with everyone in the fraternity even if there wasnt one. I got a bid and in about a week and a half from now I'll be initiated. No, a sophomore is not too late, you still have 2 full (or more) years of the best time of your life. Go to the place you want to check out even if you know no one. It might end up being the best decision or you may find out that fraternity wasnt for you. Either way, you wont regret it. Good Luck!

-Zeta Chi chapter of Delta Tau Delta
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

As a general rule, it will be tougher for a sophomore to get a bid than a freshman. That's just the way it is, in general.

But, rushing simply because you feel "left out" may not be a good idea. Pledging and being in a fraternity are a time commitment, and you may find yourself regretting the decision later. You should probably re-evaluate whether it's something you want to do, rather than something you feel like you should do.