GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,398
1 members and 2,397 guests
Sarak24034

Old 10-01-2015, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss added an open house round to recruitment last year which changed the format from 9-6-3 to 10-8-5-2 with the addition of ADPi. This is the second year with this format.

I think it has been very beneficial to give many PNMs an extra round to look at every chapter. And I am a big proponent of 2 pref parties....much easier to get your second choice and be happy compared to your third...IMO. I know that is not possible when there are 18+ chapters on campus...but having 3 pref parties when there are only 9 chapters does not help to manage expectations.

Good luck to Alpha Phi's colonization. This campus needs it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2015, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
They did have rush prior to school starting though the 90's. Then the University administration insisted that it be changed. Girls used to immediately leave school, if they did not get the rush results that they wanted. They would go to another school where they had been accepted to try rushing there. Seriously. Now rush is held after the last date to drop out of school and get a refund on the semester.
THIS! Happened ALL the time, pre-internet. Who could know the schools where you'd been accepted or gone through rush (or even recieved bids/pledged)?

At my school (where the Fall term started after Labor Day, and rush was in late October) there was a young lady who was on her 3rd (!) Rush that year to get her dream GLO. She received her bid at our school and transferred her sophomore year back to a large SEC school. But the chapter there refused to affiliate her! So, she was back (immediately) to our school. Didn't miss a day.

All of this came out after she returned - - her chapter was not amused. (And, I can't imagine the cost of doing this! Her parents must've been nuts!)
Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Girls used to immediately leave school, if they did not get the rush results that they wanted. They would go to another school where they had been accepted to try rushing there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I think if I'd gone to an SEC school, I would have waited the next semester and found a house who was COBing.
Girls who would leave school rather than pledge the "wrong" sorority are NOT the ones who would pledge a house via COB, because the houses they want don't COB. Or if they do, they know who they want and don't just get a list from panhellenic.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTeaParty View Post
THIS! Happened ALL the time, pre-internet. Who could know the schools where you'd been accepted or gone through rush (or even recieved bids/pledged)?

At my school (where the Fall term started after Labor Day, and rush was in late October) there was a young lady who was on her 3rd (!) Rush that year to get her dream GLO. She received her bid at our school and transferred her sophomore year back to a large SEC school. But the chapter there refused to affiliate her! So, she was back (immediately) to our school. Didn't miss a day.

All of this came out after she returned - - her chapter was not amused. (And, I can't imagine the cost of doing this! Her parents must've been nuts!)
Wow! I wonder why the SEC school wouldn't let her affiliate. We've had affiliates, but never anyone who left and came back. Did her chapter have to take her in?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I just say that I can't stand the waiting....... On the bright side it's 5:00 here.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Some GLOs do not have to allow affiliations - I know my chapter voted on several affilate applications during my time there. And, if it was a large SEC chapter expecting a large pledge class - - I'm guessing they didn't want a girl they had already passed on previously AND they didn't "pick out" themselves. (Since this was a well documented "end run" around the membership selection strategy, it was probably justified not to affiliate her.)

My own brother joined a national Frat his freshman year at a smaller school, and then transferred to Ole Miss. He told me that as an "Affilitated" member, he could not vote on ANYTHING. He was simply a "social" member. But, that was the way it was organized with them.

BTW, the young woman in the discussion was actually a lovely and kind person and fit in well with the chapter on my campus, sorta leaves you to wonder WHO wanted her to join the SEC chapter . . .
Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
Can I just say that I can't stand the waiting....... On the bright side it's 5:00 here.
Nolefan, if that is a reference to adult beverage time....a nice glass of pinot noir is being poured right now.

I hope your daughter is having a good week!

Skit round has started....this is the last year they will be done. Ole Miss will be moving to a sisterhood/values round next year.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes ma'am - and as a matter of fact I only drink red You're so kind, yes, my girl is enjoying herself, it's been fairly low key so far. I do think this is a great life lesson for her and that she is learning things. ex: She mentioned to me that a house she hadn't been as impressed with the first round made a great showing for philanthropy day and she really likes them as well as any of the others now. It was fun to hear her talking about how proud each sorority is of their respective philanthropies and what they do to support them. I love that this aspect means something to the chapters and to my daughter.

It's amazing, this "mama waiting in the wings" business is harder than I thought it would be. It is WAY harder than my own rush experience for sure. My favorite part has been how much I'm learning about my daughter and her observations. I have also loved how much fun my sorority sisters are having keeping up with how things are going this week as well as some of our family friends who wrote recs for my daughter. We have lots of text threads going and my daughter has felt very loved hearing from the ones she is closest to. Really a neat thing.

I'm going to go put my younger daughters to bed so I can have another glass of wine, I'm able to keep busy during the day but these evenings of waiting for a phone call from her are just about all I can take I end up awake way past my bedtime (eastern time zone) and then having to get up at 6 a.m. - I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Leaving school when rush didn't work out as expected was definitely a thing. A high school friend went to Emory in the 70s, participating in rush in Aug before school began. She didn't get the bid she wanted, so daddy packed her up, she immediately moved into a dorm at SMU, which they had on the string with all of the deposits, dorm room, fees etc (at that time SMU had deferred rush in Jan) Daddy bought her a new wardrobe, a red convertible, and she pledged the sorority of Daddy and Mommy's dreams in Jan at SMU.

Blew my little State U mind, but it happened.

Hope we hear some wonderful stories about this recruitment!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Leaving school when rush didn't work out as expected was definitely a thing. A high school friend went to Emory in the 70s, participating in rush in Aug before school began. She didn't get the bid she wanted, so daddy packed her up, she immediately moved into a dorm at SMU, which they had on the string with all of the deposits, dorm room, fees etc (at that time SMU had deferred rush in Jan) Daddy bought her a new wardrobe, a red convertible, and she pledged the sorority of Daddy and Mommy's dreams in Jan at SMU.

Blew my little State U mind, but it happened.

Hope we hear some wonderful stories about this recruitment!
That's crazy! What happened to "suck it up, buttercup"?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

What time do the girls receive their invitations?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
That's crazy! What happened to "suck it up, buttercup"?
Not for the Princess!

We had a gal from my town who transferred to 3 different schools - albeit 3 different years - to get the sorority of choice - each time a less competitive campus. She never transferred back to the original campus, though, so I'll give her that.

And it still happens.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote an update but the internet ate it.

Daughter aka my pretty pretty princess (that was her favorite game when she was little ) is going to have round 2 of sisterhood today. She made friends with sisters in a few houses after getting to Ole Miss campus and I think that helped her. She kept the houses that invited her back for philanthropy for sisterhood round. Legacy chapter invited her back for the second invitational so that's good too. A friend of hers was cut from recruitment and PPP feels lucky.

I took the afternoon off work and am driving to Oxford soon. It should take several hours and I hope the roads are clear.

Last edited by sassymom; 10-02-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Nolefan and Sassymom- GOOD LUCK to your daughters!! and keep the wine handy -you've almost made it through. Friends daughter was cut by one of her favorites but still had 4 great ones for skit (sorry sisterhood :-) ). She also had a very good friend that was released all together so she is feeling very grateful.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They did have rush prior to school starting though the 90's. Then the University administration insisted that it be changed. Girls used to immediately leave school, if they did not get the rush results that they wanted. They would go to another school where they had been accepted to try rushing there. Seriously. Now rush is held after the last date to drop out of school and get a refund on the semester.
I wondered why recruitment was just taking place now. It seemed really late.

I've mentioned this before on GC, but I love those stories about how women would transfer schools and go thru another recruitment in order to get the group they wanted. That's crazy!