GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,162
3 members and 1,159 guests
PGD-GRAD, zabryashulze790

Old 01-26-2009, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

OKAY. Well, now that recruitment is over, there’s an outcome, and I don’t have to worry that I’ll be brutally murdered in my sleep (okay, slight exaggeration), I can finish my story! I actually wrote this as recruitment was going on, so you get all of the benefit of a real-time story, but without all of the waiting around! Are you excited? Because I certainly am. Oh, and for those of you who know the code, PLEASE KEEP IT ON THE DL, at least until the end. I’m far too lazy to go back and change it, so I’m just sticking with the Greek Goddess theme. You’ll notice that if I’m mentioning a stereotype, it’s in quotation marks. Don’t take it to be my actual impression, it’s just the campus. I don’t want to offend anyone. By the way, I’m a natural born writer, so this is really ridiculously long with a lot of unnecessary details. I hope you like it anyway. Okay here we go!

We left off at the time between the break up with Vince and Christmas break, a total of about a month. There were two weeks before Thanksgiving break, and I went out quite a bit with the girls. I went into Thanksgiving feeling a bit better about the break up and just life in general. I have the greatest friends. I could not have gotten through it without them. When I got back from break, I seriously think I may have lost my mind. I spent more time inebriated in that short 2-week span than I had in my entire life. My friend Serena and I spent a lot of time together along with her roommate Blair. We all agreed that our top choice was Pandora, but they were far more passionate about them than I was. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I really loved Pandora, but they were OBSESSED with getting in. Pandora was dubbed the “hot” sorority, so I’m sure that had something to do with it. I secretly wasn’t entirely certain who my top choice was because it kept changing from day-to-day. Personally, I was still leaning towards Artemis.

So the semester ends, and I’m feeling pretty good (despite an almost permanent hangover. Eep!). I felt like I did well on my finals, and I was starting to see a guy I knew from class. Christmas break couldn’t end soon enough. Skip ahead to about a week after classes resume. Meet The Greeks Pt. II has arrived and OBVIOUSLY I’m all over it
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad you're back, looking forward to your story!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Woo Hoo!!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
AEcutiePhi

YAY! I can't wait to hear what happened!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Meet The Greeks was really fun. I mean REALLY fun. I went with Jessica, a girl on my floor who had just transferred. She was kind of unsure about going through recruitment, but she decided she’d just go and check it out. We got there a few minutes before it was supposed to actually start, but it was already PACKED. Walking in, I took one look around and noticed something immediately: about 95% of the girls were intimidatingly gorgeous. The other 5% were just normal gorgeous. Whoever said that one sorority was less attractive than another was certainly mistaken. Most of the other PNMs were also unbelievably attractive. I was a little nervous at first, but the sorority women were so kind that I felt better almost immediately. Then my excitement took over.

One of the Rho Chi’s greeted us at the door and pointed us towards Aphrodite first. Jess and I were picked up by a couple of girls immediately. They had a really cute theme based off of a popular tv show that Jess happens to be obsessed with. So we talked about the show and the theme a bit, but neither of us particularly loved them. They were cool, but it just didn’t click.

We then moved on to Pandora. Both of us liked them, and their “hot” reputation was very clearly deserved. It’s a smaller chapter, and only one girl picked us up at first. She was cute as a bug and really sweet, but seemed a little nervous, like she didn’t quite know what to say. We were then picked up by two cute blondes who seemed a little more relaxed. I really did like them and could see myself being friends with them, but the conversation felt slightly forced at times. Side note: I noticed Serena and Blair hanging around this table almost ALL night.

Next was Hera. Although I liked them from the beginning, I didn’t really realize just how well I would get along with this group. This chapter comes with a lot of stereotypes. They’re known as the “party girl”/“slutty”/“blonde”/“Barbie” sorority. Although I’m not exactly opposed to parties, these stereotypes really don’t fit me. I’m the polar opposite of a Barbie. However, talk to any of these girls for more than a minute and you’ll see that the stereotypes don’t even begin to describe everyone. I found that that’s true of every chapter on campus, but it seemed especially so for Hera. Everyone was so awesome, and Jess and I ended up talking to about 5 or 6 different girls at a time. When I asked about their philanthropy I was rather touched by how into it the girls were. I had a great conversation with a couple of the girls about something extremely random and trivial, and we were all laughing like loons. It felt like a surprisingly good fit. We had to have been there for over half an hour and only left because we were running low on time.

Then we went to Hestia. I had been neutral about them at first, but after this I definitely wasn’t anymore. The first day of class I met Emily, who was one of the sisters, and we really hit it off. After one day of class we were chatting like we’d known each other for years. When I went to the table, I saw her immediately and she gave me a big hug. I didn’t get to meet many other girls because Em and I just kept talking (much to Jess’s annoyance). A few of her friends came over too, but not nearly as many as there had been at Hera. I don’t know if it’s just because I liked Emily so much or what, but I had a lot of fun talking to these girls. It was never awkward or anything like it was at the fall Meet The Greeks.

Jess was getting really tired, so the last table we visited was Artemis. Once again, I found some girls that I just couldn’t stop talking to. I talked to a few of the girls that I had met in the fall, and all three of them actually remembered me (which made me feel totally special). I ended up talking to one girl who I had a lot in common with, and another girl who turned out to be in one of my classes. This is the biggest sorority on campus and it was almost time for everyone to leave, so there were about 3 sisters per PNM. I, once again, just did not want to leave. Every time I talk to these girls I feel like I fit in perfectly. They are still my top choice.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to visit with Demeter or Athena. I was kind of upset about that because I never really got much of a sense from either of them before. Although I did note that Athena’s shirts were ADORABLE, and Demeter was really full the entire time. Jess and I walked back to the dorms (in the freezing cold, ice, and snow) and, of course, talked about who we liked and who we didn’t. She really liked Pandora. We both agreed that Aphrodite just wasn’t for us. She still wasn’t 100% certain that she would do it this semester, but said that if she doesn’t she’ll probably want to go through informal in the fall. Oh well, less than a week until orientation!

Last edited by babydoll2012; 01-26-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!! I'm glad you are back!!

Elizabeth Barrett Browning , A Flower in a Letter
<>
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

So glad you came back! I can't wait to hear..hurry!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Sounds like Meet The Greeks was a success and you liked a lot of chapters. Great start to rush!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Lovin' it so far...more please
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
You know, I appreciate the brutal honesty. Every org on every campus has its own stereotypes and we might as well 'fess up about them. I especially appreciate it in a deferred recruitment thread. I myself come from a deferred recruitment campus and I like to see how women's opinions change.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Orientation night. Oy vay. It was a lot of information at once. I got to meet my Pi Chi group. We’ll call the PX’s Annie and Mary. A couple of the girls in my group live on my floor, so at least I won’t be alone. They weren’t at this orientation though, and the other girls were mostly quiet and reserved (which I’m REALLY not. I felt weird being the only one who was talking. Was I being TOO outgoing? Recruitment hasn’t actually started, so I don’t know). We met all of the presidents, and were told what we should wear for recruitment (phew!). Then we went on a tour of each house with our groups. Once again, I did NOT want to leave Artemis. One of the girls I’d met through Meet the Greeks recognized me again and started chatting with me. I’m hoping this is a good sign? So basically, nothing has really changed. I also liked Demeter and think I have a better feel for them. This chapter is VERY new, but it has so much potential, and their house is BEAUTIFUL. In fact, a few of the girls in my Pi Chi group like them best. Personally, it’s getting harder and harder for me to choose with every event I go to. I feel like I’d be happy at almost any of the chapters. And the tent talk is certainly beginning. Every time I tell someone that I like Hera, they give me this disapproving look (and often remind me of their bad rep). Whatever, I’m trying my best not to listen. I just can’t wait for the parties to start! The past few days have dragged along. The more excited I get for recruitment, the slower time seems to be moving. Also, Jessica went to orientation with me, and decided that she’s definitely going through recruitment this semester! Let the anticipation build!!!

Last edited by babydoll2012; 01-26-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you're not listening to "tent talk" b/c girls often don't realize that one chapter may not be for them but it certainly is a good fit for someone else. Keep updating. I like your story.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll2012 View Post
We’ll call the PX’s Annie and Mary.
Hijack, sorry, my best friend's name is Mary and her sister's name is Annie.

This also reminds me of something funny that happened when I went through recruitment. At one of the chapters, the president and another girl (don't remember her position) came out to welcome us to the house. They introduced themselves as Mallory and Courtney, which really weirded me out because I knew a set of twins named Mallory and Courtney who joined the same sorority at another school!

That's all !

And I can't wait for more!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 PM

This is actually a pretty refreshing thread to read. It's not often that a PNM attends a pre-recruitment event and has a good conversation at EVERY chapter she meets.

You must be one of those really outgoing people who can find something in common with anyone.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1. Oh lord. I don’t even know what to say. I absolutely LOVED every single chapter. Cutting was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I wish there were more time to talk to people so I had a better idea of who I liked and who I didn’t because right now I like all of them. Okay, here’s the breakdown:

First up was Demeter. I was really nervous, and I think it showed. We talked mostly about family, but I felt like I was rambling. I liked them a lot, but I didn’t think I’d get an invite back.

Next was Pandora. Luckily, the girl who was paired with me was someone I was already friends with, so she introduced me to a lot of people. I felt way more relaxed, and felt good being there. Some of the girls I talked to weren’t my style, but I still felt pretty good.

Then came Artemis. Once again, lots of love. I liked the girls I talked to a lot. The same girl I talked to at Meet the Greeks and the house tours was there, and we talked for most of the time. I felt like this party did NOT last long enough. So fun, again, still pretty high up on the list.

Athena was next. Eh. They were cute and very sweet, but the conversation was generic and none of the sisters were very memorable. Although, whoever said they were the “fat” chapter was lying. Didn’t see a single overweight girl. Stupid stereotypes.

Off to Aphrodite. WOW did these girls surprise me. I went in without the best impression of them, but the girl who picked me up was AWESOME. I only really talked to 2 girls the whole time, but they were both so much fun. I was just so shocked.

Then down to Hera. Once again, I loved them. I was getting really tired by this time, but I tried to keep a smile on. The girl who I was matched with first was one I’d met at Meet the Greeks, and she said she was really happy to see me again. That made me feel good. I had great conversations with most of the girls I talked to. No disappointments.

Finally, we went to Hestia. I was EXHAUSTED by now, but I tried not to let it show. Emily, who has apparently been talking me up to the rest of the girls, was right next to me. We of course ended up talking most of the time, but the other two girls I talked to were really cool too. I feel like I would fit in.

Ranking was TOUGH. I really did like every single chapter. My group was rushed off to rank right after the last party, so I didn’t even have a chance to mull it over or talk to my Pi Chi’s. We could pick 5 to keep (shown in alphabetical order because they weren’t officially ranked) and had to “cut” the bottom two, so my rankings looked something like this:

1. Aphrodite
1. Artemis
1. Hera
1. Hestia
1. Pandora

2. Demeter
3. Athena

I was so sad that I had to cut. I didn’t want to at all. Oh well, round two = skit night!