GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,494
2 members and 2,492 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2001, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

What is your chapter/organization/you

doing or done to help in the relief efforts for the victims in NY and DC?

Please share your experiences here:

1. I've given locally to the firefighter's association which will send the donations to the firefighters in New York.

2. At my place of employment, I have coordinated efforts to raise money for the American Red Cross by seeking donations from our administrators, faculty, staff, and student body on Sept. 24th and Sept. 25th. via the group I sponsor.

3. In my chapter, (Graduate) we have donated money to the American Red Cross, as well as, many Sorors donating blood.

4. Check our website aka1908.com for details.

If you all haven't done anything yet, have you all made any plans to do SOMETHING?

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 09-16-2001 at 01:00 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2001, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
Hey! Aren't you from around New Orleans? I heard that over $300,000 had been donated in the New Orleans area in less than 24 hours. The LSU community has shown tremendous compassion during this tragedy. Many students have donated blood and tons of money. It's amazing to see how much everyone cares and how much these attacks have brought everyone together. I've never been so proud to be an American as I have been in these last few days. My sisters and I have personally been going out and giving blood as well as collecting donations. We hope to donate at least $500 to the Red Cross. It will be a challenge considering we're a very small chapter here on campus but I have complete faith in my sisters. I think one of the best ways for people to help now is through prayer. We all have to pray for the victims and their families, our President and government, and the nation as a whole.

God Bless America

Allison
Old 09-16-2001, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah,

I'm on the Westbank. I haven't heard any numbers, but I have seen where all kinds of accounts, etc have been established for the sake of the relief efforts.

Even though your chapter is small, this could be a great way to get many of the organizations together and COLLECTIVELY fundraise/volunteer, etc.

For those of you seeking unity among ALL of the organizations on your campus, this is a GREAT way to start. Maybe we will start to see more threads which describe positive interactions among ALL GLO, regardless if its a BGLO, WGLO or whatever, even non-members.

Go Tigers, Grambling State University, that is!

I heard on the news a few minutes ago, the New Orleans area has donated $1.4 million dollars so far to the American Red Cross.

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 09-16-2001 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

UK Panhel set up a support table at the US Embassy in London yesterday, to help US citizens abroad cope w/various issues arising from last week's events.

We're also planning on some type of fundraising event in October.

Caroline
Old 09-17-2001, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

We've got a number of things going on here in Georgia. Just to name a few...

My office is collecting donations for the Red Cross in honor of one of my co-workers' nieces who was killed on the United Airlines flight that hit the World Trade Center. The company will match whatever the employees contribute.

A local bar that we visited on Friday night was collecting money at the door for the Red Cross.

Kroger (grocery store chain) is taking donations for the victims' families in New York and Washington, D.C.

Also, tonight my alumnae chapter is having our annual alumnae dinner. One of my Delta Zeta sisters was a flight attendant on the United Airlines flight, so I'm sure we'll be doing some type of memorial service for her and taking up donations in her memory for the relief fund.

They've told us to hold off making blood donations until later in the week, so I'm planning to give blood in addition to money.

My prayers go out to everyone affected by the atrocious acts of last Tuesday. GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Old 09-17-2001, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Friday, my chapter did a change drive...we had already had an event scheduled out on our Main Green, but we decided to change it. It ended up raining that day, but we were all out there, holding cups. It was AMAZING. People were writing checks and giving us traveler's cheques. There were actually some people who were "offended" that we were out doing this, but whatever. We ended up raising a surprising amount of money--which doubled because the bank our chapter does business with does matching contributions--all for the Red Cross.

I am so happy my chapter and community were able to rally together for a cause--I'm just sad that it had to be this cause.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
My chapter all went to the Red Cross and donated blood, at least those that were able to. Also, they are having or had a car wash this weekend, in which all of the money will be donated to the Red Cross. Usually, this fundraiser goes to our national philanthropy, but in light of the current state of affairs, diversion of funds is appropriate.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
New Orleans

An excerpt from WDSU Channel 6 at http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/...12-110913.html

"Since last week, New Orleans citizens have donated more than $2,056,000 for the Red Cross to aid victims of Tuesday's terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.

Despite being one of the nation's poorest cities, New Orleans and its citizens were very generous, as cash and checks poured in. Donations came from businesses, individuals, politicians, schools and church groups."

It was so touching to watch the news because little kids were breaking open their piggy banks. Way to go New Orleans!

Personally, I have donated to the Firefighters association. Also, like Beryana, I belong to the Boyd's Bears Club and we will be sending stuffed animals to the children. My alumnae chapter meets tonight and I am sure that we will be planning something.
Old 09-17-2001, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

A note on blood donations - don't limit your donations to the ARC - most local hospitals have blood banks that will have severe shortges because they won't be able to get blood from ARC in the short term. The ARC needs $$$ more than anything else right now!!