GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,331
2 members and 1,329 guests
indygphib

Old 01-31-2002, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My School's Greek Issues

Okay, so this was on the front page of our student paper. I was wanting some reactions from you guys on it.
My personal opinion:
I think it is so sad that people still look at this as a factor in membership, but I was raised in the largest city in Kentucky and so it was never an issue for me but at my school a lot of times it is. Any thoughts?

http://www.wkuherald.com/cgi-bin/vie...+19970101+news

Facebook
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-31-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: My School's Greek Issues

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
Okay, so this was on the front page of our student paper. I was wanting some reactions from you guys on it.
My personal opinion:
I think it is so sad that people still look at this as a factor in membership, but I was raised in the largest city in Kentucky and so it was never an issue for me but at my school a lot of times it is. Any thoughts?

I don't know what the big deal is. I'm a graduate of Kentucky State Univ. ('97) in Frankfort, and we had white members of Phi Beta Sigma there as well. Kentucy State is an HBCU as well. To have someone of a different race join a BGLO is not as uncommon as those in the media would like for you to think.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 01-31-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:53 PM

Re: My School's Greek Issues

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovemyglo
My personal opinion:

isnt that article 5 years old? why would you bring it up now?
Old 01-31-2002, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

No, this article is right off of today's paper. I just saw it and was thinking about how ridiculous this is to be the front page of our school's paper. Not cause I don't think it is props and all, but what year are we in? I mean come on!! And that is why, my friends my school's greek system is out of control. Oh, to clarify the internet site for our school's paper is not updated on the date, I don't know why, but it is not from 1997 cause I have a hard copy in my hand that says todays date on it,... once again, what state do I live in?

Facebook
Old 01-31-2002, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I look at it like this. REGARDLESS of the persons racial makeup, if she wants to come into MY sorority, I want to know what ASSETS does she bring to the table? In what way can she improve my sorority? Will she RESPECT the founders and the ideas the sorority ? Will she be commited for a LIFETIME?

True, this particular article may be old, but the fact remains this type of thing goes on all the time across the U.S.. People join fraternal organizations for different reasons and for different reasons, there are so many different organizations.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I think it's a well written article showing that GLOs aren't all upity-all-one-race- organizations. I think it makes a nice point that an GLO is about the people who make it up and it doesn't matter what you look like as long as that's where you want to be. I like that it said that the guy is comfy but that many people who see him in letters are not. I didn't read the whole thing, just about the guy and girl, and I'm glad to see some decent press.
Heidi
Old 01-31-2002, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

While it does seem odd to see that as "front page news", I do agree it was well-written & informative to people who may not be aware of those instances. And who can be uspet about good press for greeks!?

I'll bet there are a lot of people who would be shocked to read that article, as unfortunate as that is. I really liked how the 2 specific members treated it as no big deal (because it shouldn't be) as well as the part refering to colleges integrating, and greeks following suit. Again, a good point for those "greeks are elitist...." type of arguments.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
It isn't unheard of for blacks to join white GLOs on my campus.