GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,454
3 members and 2,451 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 07-25-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Unhappy Totally Dropped the Ball...

I messed up at work. Big time. Normally I would shake it off, but the last two weeks I had a couple of small mistakes, and today a big one to cap it off. Do I shake it off, or do I say something to my boss?

Background:

I was supposed to move departments July 1st. This got postponed 30 days, because I was needed for a project in my current department. I finished it in about two weeks, and since then have been miserable. I am being assigned work that is beneath me, and cleaning up a lot of other people's messes. In the past week or so, it has definitely affected the quality of my work.

So, do I go tell my boss that I have been running around with my head not screwed on for the last week and I am sorry, or do I just let it all go?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2004, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Has someone complained to you about your current work quality? If not, I would simply take advantage of your own recognition that you've been deteriorating and improve it. Eliminating the attitude that any job is "beneath" you is a good place to start-- it's not a good attitude to bring to a new department, or to carry when you're working in a company with any team-like atmosphere.

If they have been complaining, then talk to your manager about what they expect you to do to correct the situation.

While it may be work that you consider "beneath" you, also remember that if it helps your work team and the company, it should be done without complaining OR looking down on it. If you've been assigned to clean up messes from other people, recognize that you've been assigned it because someone deems you more responsible and reliable.

~ Mel.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am low man on the totem pole, nothing is really beneath me. Nor do I mind helping other people when they are in a bind. However, when it is the same two people (neither of whom is superior to me) noticing that I am ahead of schedule and dumping their crap work on me, I start to get pissed.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

See-- that's nowhere near what you said in your original message, though. If you'd said that, I would have given you a different response.

If others are giving you work simply because they don't want to do it, simply tell them you are too busy with work *given by your manager* (emphasize that) to help them out. If you're wrapping up your work in a department, ask your current manager for the okay to get that done and organize. Any manager will appreciate organization upon an employee's known departure.

If they persist, discuss it with your manager.

~ Mel.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I think when I am done with my trip I will just say something about how I am sorry that I seem to have made all my rookie mistakes in the same week, and I will pull it together.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Yeah, I think when I am done with my trip I will just say something about how I am sorry that I seem to have made all my rookie mistakes in the same week, and I will pull it together.
The trick with stuff like this is to minimize damage. It's not about pretending nothing happened or whatever, it's really to lower your risk. I personally would fix up mistakes nobody knows about and cover it up. Then I would approach them and take full responsibility. That means NO EXCUSES. I would also be truthful in anything that may have lead to it (an actual reason that lets them know you still took full responsibility and aren't making an excuse). If it's the fact that you're wiping other people's asses let them know, BUT (big BUT) since you're low on the pole you might be wiping asses for a while more and if you complain it won't get you anywhere.

-Rudey
--And remember, don't funk up again.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, there is something to be said for cleaning up messes. I gained a great reputation in my department for being able to go into a library that had been horribly neglected or mismanaged and change it over. I must have done about 6 or 8 over the course of my career. I sort of enjoy it, though. It's a challenge and it's a hell of a lot of extra work, but it sure is satisfying to get to the end. I have been at my present school for a long time, though, and I don't think I want to clean up another one .
But that's just me...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
Actually, there is something to be said for cleaning up messes. I gained a great reputation in my department for being able to go into a library that had been horribly neglected or mismanaged and change it over. I must have done about 6 or 8 over the course of my career. I sort of enjoy it, though. It's a challenge and it's a hell of a lot of extra work, but it sure is satisfying to get to the end. I have been at my present school for a long time, though, and I don't think I want to clean up another one .
But that's just me...
LOL-- yeah, I've done the same thing with our illustration servers. It's a terrifying job.

But really, as frustrating as these jobs are, management *does* notice the people who are willing to dig into them.

~ Mel.