GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,559
3 members and 1,556 guests
mlanderson, naraht

Old 04-02-2003, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Conventions

After having a great talk with CareBearBSP yesterday, my head is spinning with ideas!

Have any of you been to a convention? I know that many of us on this forum are really new to the sorority, so my guess is that you haven't been to conventions. My dear Little asked me if any of the GreekChat Betas were planning to meet somewhere, and that started us talking about a convention for college-aged Beta Sigma Phis. Do you think it would be possible? It could include workshops about advertising on campus and attracting young members, fundraising, etc...things that are important to younger chapters.

Another possibility might be to choose one of the already planned conventions and make a big showing!! I would certainly be up for representing THE NEW GENERATION of Beta Sigma Phis!

What do you think????

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2003, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

This was brought up by one of our alumni. I think it would be cool to have a convention for college chapters since we're pretty different from others. I know personally we had to go NPC to stay on campus and have had problems doing so.

How many collegeite chapters are there??
Old 04-02-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
We are not collegate, but all of our membership is. So far we have only targeted College Students... I know we would be up for something...
Old 04-02-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
RE: "Collegiate" chapters (mainly college students)

There are 7 collegiate chapters at this time according to HQ. I did a post under the General forums on GC "How big is your nationals" or something to that effect w/ links to 4 collegiate chapters. It's on this page below (under the Greek Life thread).

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...5&pagenumber=3

Michelle

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 04-02-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile RE: "collegiate-centered" Conventions

I think that would be a great idea and great for networking amongst other "young'ns". The hard work to sponsor this event will be worth it in the end.

Michelle

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 04-02-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Like Alison's chapter, my chapter is not a campus organization, and we don't intend to become one. However, we face many of the same issues that collegiate chapters deal with, and I just think it would be fun to meet more sisters. Whether we are on a college campus or not, we ARE the future of this organization.

I'm glad that you think this is worth discussing at least.

Erica
Old 04-02-2003, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Ops Double posting

cleared double posting.

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 04-02-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Is it too late to plan for a summer or fall 2003 Conclave or Convention?

Erica
I agree there is a need for a convention or conclave and that it would be fun just to meet other Betas. Guess the next question would be "who wants to chair and / or co-chair a n online conclave or convention committe" due to logistics of all of us on this forum? Fom my understanding a conclave is a one-day conference and convention runs about 2-3 days.

I just got off the phone with one of the Sac City Council (SCC) Execs "CU" about forming 2-3 FV Ritual of Jewels(ROJ) chapters of younger women (between the ages of 20-30's) who are at a different point in their lives than those who are mainly in their late 40's to 70's. Currently there are only two ROJ in the City Council. A few of us in the SCC agree that we need to find ways to attract and retain younger members. Please PM or email any suggestions you may have for events to do during the hot summer months.

SCC is asking for volunteers from all 15 chapters to help with the rush events and contacting prospectives Betas from the long list which is growing daily. These events will be held during the summer to gear up to Beginning Day. I'm currently in a Exempler chapter and If possible I might just transfer to one of the new chapters if it all works out. "CU" also mentioned that there is a 32 yrs old visiting their chapter who kind of feels like the "baby" just like I do in my chapter.

This topic has me stoked and looking forward to Founder's Day, Summer Rush, and Beginning Day for the the 2003/2004 sorority year.

Michelle (sorry its long)
Old 04-05-2003, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CareBearBSP
Well Erica, we could always meet up with a collegiate aged chapter at a regular convention too. There's going to be a convention in Lake Harmony, PA next September (the 19th through the 21st). It'd be a 4hr drive to Clarion, but it's closer than we are now! It's an idea nonetheless, and there's always the awesomeness of getting to stay in a hotel for the weekend .
Old 04-05-2003, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
FYI for everyone that doesn't know...Zeta Delta (my chapter) is co-chairing the convention in Baton Rouge in June. We are the only college age chapter down here. Would love to see all of you! Also as a bonus draw....only 1 hour from New Orleans!

Hugs,
Bernadette
Old 04-05-2003, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Bernadette -

New Orleans sounds so great but I won't have money until August Stupid summer job not starting til summer
Old 04-05-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: ?'s about convention in PA

Hello,

I have a few ?'s RE: PA convention: Is there a website link or printed material available (hosting chapter(s), reg costs, activities, theme, etc.)? Depending on the # of GCs that can attend would anyone be interested in staying in a BSP Bed & Breakfast (reduce costs), etc.

Lastly, if GCs who are able to meet up - what do you think about having (or I can see about getting info for you) a "seminar for college-age Betas" since must of us are interested in recruiting from the "young'n generation? This would / could be scheduled in lieu of one of the another seminars, or arrange to do a 20-30 something activity (includes 18 -19 yr olds) depending on the theme. I would be able to go but need to do arrangements for the best airfare prices from CA (best guess I would take a red-eye flight on that Friday [1st night of the convention]).

Michelle

Last edited by bsp-mich24; 04-05-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow!

My goodness...I'm away for a day, and lots of talk happens!!

Money is always an issue for me, but I might be able to go to the PA convention. I REALLY wish I could go to Bernadette's convention. That would be so fun, but I also have to work around the whole summer job thing!

CareBearBSP--do you think we should bring up the PA convention to our chapter? How far is Lake Harmony from Amherst?

Michelle--I think a seminar or even just a Round Table or Panel Discussion with other young Betas would be fabulous! Did you mean during the PA Convention? Do you think we would we be "stepping on toes," so to speak?

Erica
Old 04-06-2003, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

RE: possible round table or panel discussion

Hi,

No, I do not think we would be stepping on toes (we need to let the hosting chapter(s) know what our intentions are). If we invite one to two older betas who would like to join us and see their is a need to increase the number of younger members that will continue on the mission, goals, life, learning, & friendship, ect of BSP.

After we get a final headcount of the GC's planning to go to PA then we just need to get details such as available locations for a round table or panel discussion (out of courtesy); or we can just what ever open area that has tables etc available and bring the necessary materials : agendas and or outlines, essal sp? and markers. Any other ideas anyone?

Michelle
Old 04-07-2003, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Erica-

Lake Harmony, PA is a little over four and a half hours from Amherst. Driving that is. I think it might be a good idea to bring up to our chapter, but at the same time I feel sorta akward (sp?) because I just got my bid and I"m suggesting things and they've already been in for a year - year and a half. I don't want to "step on any toes" myself y'know? I was just looking at the conventions page and saw there was one in PA and that was the closest location to us where there was another college aged chapter nearby. I thought I'd offer you the idea and you could run with it . So if you think it's a good idea to propose it to the chapter please don't feel like you have to give me credit because I might actually prefer none. Haha. I'll blush and run and hide. No seriously though, I just don't want the sisters to think that I'm messing with their turf so quickly.

Michelle-

Whoever organizes could always be wicked evil and make us do collages j/k!

Okay I really need to go shower now because I have to interview potential RD's at noon. Sigh. I can think of so many better things to do today than that .

Last edited by CareBearBSP; 04-07-2003 at 10:19 AM.