GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,010
2 members and 1,008 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Good Lord. It's different at every school.
Get over your obsession!
seemingly not, if you had read and payed attention to similar threads then you would notice this as well. If you don't want to contribute then don't

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

When you all are doing the overall system rankings, can I ask what you are considering?

The huge split between Ole Miss and Mississippi State seems strange to me on some level.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
From what I hear for South Carolina:
SAE
ATO
EN
KA
With SAE we always partnered up With KA, all the parties were almost thrown together.

Sigma Nu is also "top tier" i suppose but kind of do their own thing.

ATO had an 8 man pledge class in the fall so they are kind of falling out of it, still good guys though don't get me wrong. Other ones that people would argue are good are probably Sigma Chi and Kappa Sig. Sig Ep is on their way up but just got a house and are still relatively new i think.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
When you all are doing the overall system rankings, can I ask what you are considering?

The huge split between Ole Miss and Mississippi State seems strange to me on some level.
One more time:

Membership Size (membership at a given time).
Alumni Size.
Physical Plant (house and structures).
Alumni Support (to the house).
Alumni Support (to the University).
War Chest (house money for events).
Campus Involvement / Leadership roles.
What Sororities they interact with on average.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One more time:

Membership Size (membership at a given time).
Alumni Size.
Physical Plant (house and structures).
Alumni Support (to the house).
Alumni Support (to the University).
War Chest (house money for events).
Campus Involvement / Leadership roles.
What Sororities they interact with on average.
Was this posted before? Where?

But by those standards, is there that huge a difference between Ole Miss and State, particularly when you look at strong groups on both campuses?

I know Ole Miss has a strong reputation for being old south and exclusive, but I'm not sure the reality of who is really going there matches up with outside expectation.

State is a little redneck to be sure, but if you look at kind of a who's who for Mississippi, State grads are pretty well represented.

Reputation definitely counts for something, and on that alone I understand why Ole Miss is higher, but one of the top two or three while State is at the bottom seems odd if you're looking at anything objective, particularly when Auburn is solidly in the middle.

ETA: I've had relatives go to State and I can say that being Greek seemed far more important to being influential on campus at State than it did at Georgia.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 03-17-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My observations come alot through FH and OR, because I'm not able to visit every campus (though I've visited a good 75% of the ones I listed). That influences alot of it because there are few to none (that I'm aware of) Mississippi St. people on those two boards. I have visited Mississippi St and was not terribly impressed.

My theory/reasons for the low standing of MS is that it doesn't have any significant chapters that would override Sigma Nu or Phi Delt at Ole Miss. No stellar chapter (lots of good chapters, though). Miss St.'s football tradition isn't excellent like Alabama's or Texas' or Georgia. Starkville is a miserable place and doesn't have the "Old South" feel that Oxford has (nor the bar scene, in my opinion). Perhaps this is my own biases, but I think alot of people would agree.

edit: And yeah, he's posted them two or three times. They're excellent in my opinion and a good line for determing fraternities.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
One thing State does have going for it is some pretty darn incredible houses structure wise. Wow.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i've never been to state, but in regards to what elephant walk said... I've always heard Ole Miss has pretty much every GLO you could ever think of and the whole school is greek.

Pretty much if being Greek was a religion, then it was the Mecca (spelling?)

Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One thing State does have going for it is some pretty darn incredible houses structure wise. Wow.
I really do think it may be underrated generally on the lists here. Starkville isn't the town that Athens is and Oxford sure looks better, and the county State is in was (maybe still is for all I know) a dry county which probably complicated the development of a good bar scene.

But State is one of the places where being greek is probably going to have a real impact on your collegiate and alumni life more than some of the other schools on the list, and it seems to me, certainly a lot more than NC State and whoever else it was grouped with.

I'm not really arguing it's top tier, just that it might be better than you think.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SC View Post
i've never been to state, but in regards to what elephant walk said... I've always heard Ole Miss has pretty much every GLO you could ever think of and the whole school is greek.

Pretty much if being Greek was a religion, then it was the Mecca (spelling?)
It depends on who you want to worship with. The groups are there, but the guys in them might not actually be especially impressive relative to other schools. They may all fancy themselves Delta planters, but the real deals might be scarcer than you think.

Anyone have a handy site of percentage of students involved in greek life?

The number of groups at Ole Miss doesn't seem that high.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 03-17-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: removing ACT comment since a 23 is higher than I thought.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I really do think it may be underrated generally on the lists here. Starkville isn't the town that Athens is and Oxford sure looks better, and the county State is in was (maybe still is for all I know) a dry county which probably complicated the development of a good bar scene.

But State is one of the places where being greek is probably going to have a real impact on your collegiate and alumni life more than some of the other schools on the list, and it seems to me, certainly a lot more than NC State and whoever else it was grouped with.

I'm not really arguing it's top tier, just that it might be better than you think.
I agree. I think it could definitely be higher...possibly grouped in with Arkansas in the in-between 2nd and 3rd.

It's hard to rank with an incredible accuracy unless you did your undergrad at every college and even then you'd have problems. But I think it's a fair assessment of the standings.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

Coming from Texas I would have to say Georgia and LSU are just as good.

There are a lot of schools like Tech were the greek system is a huge part of the social scene, but at the same time the top chapters there can't really compare with some of the other schools mentioned.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
SAEalumnus
Super Moderator

Greek Rankings Threads
Since the idea of ranking one GLO relative to another is inherently subjective and lacks consistency from campus to campus, please refrain from posting any general threads or posts regarding which GLO is "better" than another, either locally or (inter)nationally.

If you want to compare GLOs by objective and verifiable statistics, that's fine. Just make sure you cite your source.

Thanks.

Just thought I'd prevent the pissing contest these threads so often turn into...
Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECdomination View Post
EW, I thought it strange that you had such a large seperation between Florida- and Texas and Georgia-since these states have been suffering from similar problems.
Ex. Fort Lauderdale, Houston/Dallas, Atlanta
I've never been to UT, but I assumed UF was very similar.
I know where your coming from, but at least my experience from Texas (I was born there), is that there Texas is not AS diluted as Georgia is, and Georgia isn't AS diluted as Florida is.

Texas still has excellent breeding grounds for fraternity men such as Highland Park, Tyler, and parts of Houston. It suffers from an exceedingly high absurdly GDI population...but at 50,000 people there's plenty to choose from. Part of the reason I chose them so high is because there are two Texas fraternities (SAE and Fiji) which would certainly be top tier anywhere. I suspect (and not knowing about the lower levels) that after them, Sig Ep and a few others it drops off quite a bit.

Georgia, while suffering from Atlanta and the surrounding areas, still pulls people from Mobile, Jackson, and apparently Highland Park as well (they call it the Stafford effect...after he went there, alot of people from HP went there)

UF doesn't pull enough people from Alabama, Mississippi or Georgia to make this. It seems that alot of people from the panhandle choose to go to those schools instead of going south. Just my experience, could be wrong again.

I rank my own University low because it's being increasingly flooded with the Plano area of north Dallas and Northwest Arkansas. The Delta part of Arkansas is slowly dying out as people move away. We may sink further it seems.

SthrnZeta, thanks for posting some rules, but it's hardly turned into a pissing match and we haven't ranked fraternities.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
EW, you obviously haven't been around long enough to see how these threads turn out then. Do a little search, you'll see.