GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,282
2 members and 2,280 guests
flirt5721

Old 04-29-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

BadJocks has officially declared it the "Capitol of College Hazing."

Rotten to Corps? Texas A&M seems to have added another honor to its long line of school traditions: BadJocks has officially declared it the "Capitol of College Hazing." Last year, photos of members of its Corps of Cadets stripped naked and bound with duct tape were found, although no charges were made because it was "consensual'. This Spring their "yell leaders" (the Aggies don't have cheerleaders) were accused of not reporting hazing they witnessed, although no one was ever charged with hazing (Huh?). But now, the crown jewel: junior members of the Corps--who shoot off the school's cannon at football games--are accused of hazing sophomores by dousing them with "URINE AND HORSE FECES." Care to make a bet on whether anyone will actually get punished this time?
- www.badjocks.com
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

At least no GLO's have been implicated here.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 PM

Why don't I put a lot of faith in a site whose friends include "boozernews.com" and "malepig.com"?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Why don't I put a lot of faith in a site whose friends include "boozernews.com" and "malepig.com"?
Yep, I agree.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are we attacking the messenger?

Why are we attacking the messenger? And the messenger's friends?

Not every site is linked to the Harvard U Library, or to the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Some are just for fun.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
This is a pretty serious accusation. Considering the source is appropriate.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SAEParm22203
Red face Re: Why are we attacking the messenger?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

Not every site is linked to the Harvard U Library, or to the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Some are just for fun.
Yeah...and some news sites are positive about Greeks or ortherwise. How about you find some good news about Greeks...it does exist.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Not the ones you choose to share with us at any rate .
Quote:
In reply - Originally posted by SAEParm22203
Yeah...and some news sites are positive about Greeks or ortherwise. How about you find some good news about Greeks...it does exist.
Amen.

Last edited by decadence; 05-01-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Pardone Moi!!

Yes there are good things posted via the servers that contact some!

But, DAH, go figure, the possitive is so small compared to the Negative.

Now, why is that?

I could be posting these as I get maybe 10 a day check them all and then delete them as I know hoosier can and will report them. To me, that is his call.

Maybe hoosier is trying to point out the stupidity of what is done by Greek Orgs. He is not calling anyone out but posting all no matter who.

Mine On Fraternity has also been include, so what. If they F**KED UP, then they should be suspended. ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT??

Quit pissing and moaning about what is being reported and figure out what should be done to make it end!

YOU are the Future or not of your Chapters!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-01-2003, 11:02 PM

The problem is Tom, this isn't from the AFA site - it's not even about a fraternity. It's from a site who, judging by their name and the links they give, isn't very serious or reputable. It actually looks like a site that gets joy out of reporting what they see as bad behavior by athletes and others, in a very snarky, sleazy way.

If a site or person wants to report serious news like hazing, they need to conduct themselves in a way that will make people take them seriously.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy I feel I must reply

Quote:
Tom: Yes there are good things posted via the servers that contact some!
But, DAH, go figure, the possitive is so small compared to the Negative.
Are you sure it's that small?! That's certainly the impression you'd get if you followed Hoosier's postings. But then he only posts a certain type of article. There's lots of positive greek news out there. The sponsor of this site for one, greek101.com has a page where they show positive news about the greek community.
Quote:
Tom: Now, why is that?
Certain things sell. Morbid curiosity perhaps. As consumers, we can make the choice to wallow in the dirt, to perpetually concentrate on the seedy underbelly of life, or... not. Hoosier chooses to collate anti Greek information and spread it around.
Quote:
Tom: Maybe hoosier is trying to point out the stupidity of what is done by Greek Orgs. He is not calling anyone out but posting all no matter who.
Yes. How unbiased . I'm not sure the fact he seems to fall over himself to disseminate information potentially harmful to EVERY section of the Greek community is admirable or somehow better though. It does not make his activities any less inappropriate - his activities being an unprecedented and unrivalled level of dissemination and regurgitation of anti-greek media.
Quote:
Mine On Fraternity has also been include, so what. If they F**KED UP, then they should be suspended. ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT??
Wrong with paying for crimes? No. And in none of the numerous complaints from GC members about Hoosier have I ever seen any suggestion there was.
Quote:
Quit pissing and moaning about what is being reported and figure out what should be done to make it end!
There have been precious few complaints about what is REPORTED. If that was happening, the complaints would go to the journalists and there may be comments here about the veracity of the individual article. What is being '... and moaned' about is what is being DISSEMINATED. By him. Ad infinitum. Hmm.... banning him would make it end.

A search on Hoosier reveals 19 NINETEEN!!! pages of this stuff. He has - in the past - said "I luv the fraternity system" funny way of showing it... He's (if his posts are to be believed) a graduate of IUB (Indiana) with a grown up son. He also claims "I'm an old newspaper guy" - whether or not that means he slept under some on a park bench at one time or worked for one wasn't specified. We don't see articles he's written, just the more parasitic approach of a seeming neverending forwarding of online articles.
Hoosier's fraternity resume is unknown, I'd hazard a guess he may have been a TKE at college? The TKE mission statement incidentally is to aid men in their mental, moral, and social development for life; and the TKE Purpose is to contribute to the advancement of society through the personal growth of our members, and service to others. It seems they still have a little work to do in that regard, in relation to one of their alumni .

Again the central fact remains Hoosier has dedicated substantial time to spreading ostensibly anti fraternity and sorority information to a fraternity and sorority forum over and over again - often regardless of whether it bears much relation to the topic of fraternities and similar groups. No real explanation for that.

One 'pearl of wisdom' from him was "Hiding bad news doesn't make it go away." No Hoosier. But it ISN'T hidden. It's on the 'net. Doesn't mean I want people falling over themself to thrust it at me either . Just who does Hoosier think he is benefitting from subjecting people to this? In around 450 posts he's scarcely had one positive thing to say about fraternities or sororities or for that matter had many comments of his own beyond an implied 'here is another damaging article'. And people wonder why we question his motives???? WE CAN ALL USE SEARCH ENGINES, WE CAN ALL READ NEWSPAPERS.

As for his comment "I'm sorry, but I missed the rules that apparently say that only posts that everyone loves are allowed. Some people want only things like "my favorite color" discussed."
Being patronising is not pleasant Mr Hoosier. There are, precious few rules purely because it is a site geared towards adults and thus some emotional maturity is assumed. It remains unclear why you come onto a site dedicated to chat about greek life only to direct vitriolic information much of which is posted, in random forums on here often with only the most tenuous link to Greek life if any. As for the suggestion GC'ers only want to discuss 'my fave color', that is puerile in the extreme. Though a significant proportion of the user base here may be collegiate level, it does not follow that the posts are largely odious and vacuous in content nor would they be by virtue of the user base.

Despite it being made abundantly clear by many GC'ers over time how inappropriate and undesirable the posting profile is to them, the act continues.
"In watching for Greek news over the past few years, I'm shocked by the number of chapters being killed by National GLOs, IFCs, and schools due to hazing and booze. By posting clippings from some of these, I hope others will realize the big problem this is."
Most public spirited . I'll spare you more of his weak arguments, they genuinely centre around him suggesting the site is about Greek Chat and how his posts in his view nobly inspire debate in that vein. His cut and pastes are most likely only posted with the intention to stir up trouble. If I had nothing positive to say ever about or to a group of people, I wouldn't hijack their forums to push my own agenda .

.Decadence.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Decadence attacks Hoosier

Considering that 'Decadence' claims membership in Phi Alpha Delta (only a pre-law fraternity), and based on the famous alumni PAD claims:

"SIX former presidents were PAD members - (including) James E. Carter Jr. and Bill Clinton."
"Prominent attorney Jonnie Cochran"
"Numerous congressmen and senators including Hillary Clinton"

Surely this list includes the two worst presidents of the post-WW2 era, a slimy lawyer, and Hillary, a lying crook who should be in jail.

I'll dismiss her/him (Decadence) as a typical hyper-liberal campus promoter of political correctness, unable to make an effective argument without attacking the decent opponent within 30 seconds.

This all started out with a posting about www.badjocks.com mentioning TX A&M and a series of non-fraternity hazing events there. Decadence jumps right for the throat of Hoosier and badjocks.

We're against the hazing at TX A&M. It does nothing constructive to attack Hoosier or badjocks.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:49 PM

Re: I feel I must reply

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
He also claims "I'm an old newspaper guy" - whether or not that means he slept under some on a park bench at one time or worked for one wasn't specified.
Between this comment and hoosier alternately referring to himself in the third person/using the royal "we", I don't know which is making me LMAO more.

"Jimmy's gonna put the moves on Elaine."
Old 05-02-2003, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Well, DECADENSE,

not everything goes your way nor does it each and everyone of each of ours.

If you would like to pick away at my posts, please feel free to do so!

If it is true that you were in a legal fraternity, then, maybe you as a psuedo lawyer know I have the right to my opinion whether you like it or not.

You can do all of the searches that you like! What I get posts good and bad, period.

The trouble is, I see more bad than I see good!

The - - -'s add up to much more than the + + +'s.

The - is seen more in the public eye than the +.

Maybe if you were in a social Fratrnity ( are you), are you? would know the the back ground of more things!!

I know what My Chapter does, good and bad. This along with what Others do, the good out weighs the bad in most instances, but hell yes, the bad makes the news. Ha, morbidity out sells the right in Greek Life.

That is why in the middle of the 10:00 news I got out of bed and emailed the biggest TV station in K. C. Metro about a Item on another Fraternity other than mine and took them to task!

They did not give an apologizy to anyone but me, but maybe I made a difference. Can you say that?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-03-2003, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

It is certainly not true that I have claimed to be a member of any fraternity ever, Hoosier. I have certainly not claimed to be a member of Phi Alpha Delta and I am pretty annoyed that you have said I have done so, in a post which naturally I cannot amend myself. So I would appreciate you editing it.

As it happens, yes I do aspire to becoming a member of that particular fraternity, if I do submit a petition for a charter, they will judge it and, perhaps, approve it. Right now at most, I am a member of an interest group which aims to become a chapter of an international fraternity - specifically Phi Alpha Delta. Please amend your post, as it would be fraudulent and inappropriate for me to NOT request you do this in view of my non-membership (which to iterate I have not claimed).

And Tom, I am NOT in a legal fraternity, hence all the posts asking for advice and feeding back of my own experiences on these forums about trying to start an interest group to petition as a chapter to one.

I have little doubt were it not for this forum my chances of sucessfully forming a group/it becoming as good a group as it may be would be significantly reduced. THAT is why I attacked Hoosier, because what came across to me was that his raison d etre (sp?) was to submit post after post of stories about greeks are bad/greeks do this etc. It makes it a less pleasant forum for all of us. I question his motives for that; for me it does not wash that to not post them will not make them go away - especially when that is ALL a GC member appears to post - he seems (to me) to contribute very little of his OWN opinions of GLOs. No other poster seems to come to this forum and post solely material which is negative about the greek system. The logical assumption might be said to be that he doesn't LIKE fraternities and sororities in which case why post?

The French author Flaubert once wrote that he disliked Uncle Tom's Cabin because the author was constantly preaching against slavery. "Does one have to make observations about slavery?" he asked. "Depict it; that's enough." But in making such posts Hoosier and a) not even expressing opinions on them (to any length) and b) posting negative articles largely being all you do, ad infinitum... we are left to wonder and the posting of them grates on us.

And Tom, calling me dense was uncalled for. As far as I was aware, I responded to some of the points in your post in turn, though I disagreed with the points I did not launch an attack on you? As I have said before I may disagree with some things you say - that does not mean I don't respect your views, or you.
And no I am not in a social fraternity Tom, I never said I was - there aren't any (largely speaking) in England. I just happen to very much like what I know of the fraternity system and would like to start a chapter at my campus that's all and I happen to like the ideals of one particular group. Had there been fraternities on my campus I most probably would have tried to join one. Not everyone has the same opportunities.

Also... upon reflection, I apologise for my childish comment about Hoosier in relation to a certain statement he made. I'm not going to quote my particular comment again but I'm sure you know which one I mean. Though I still disagree with him and his habit of posting a lot of these stories and would like to know his reasons for the pattern of behaviour - if it is more than an attempt at troublemaking, there's no need for me to be personal so apologies for that sentence.

I'm really duty bound to respond to a couple of other comments about PAD here too to clear it up.
Quote:
Considering that 'Decadence' claims membership in Phi Alpha Delta (only a pre-law fraternity).
I have no idea what your use of the word 'only' is supposed to mean?? To reiterate, I never claimed membership. PAD is a Law fraternity which, as well as having law school and alumni chapters also has pre-law chapters - the pre-Law chapters started in the 1980s the fraternity itself in 1902. I'm typing this because I do not want to contribute to misinformation through my own silence about a fraternity I am not a member of.
Quote:
and based on the famous alumni PAD claims:
"SIX former presidents were PAD members - (including) James E. Carter Jr. and Bill Clinton."
"Prominent attorney Jonnie Cochran"
"Numerous congressmen and senators including Hillary Clinton"
The specific text quoted here (i.e. SIX being in capitals) tells me this list is from the website I created myself (Hoosier presumably got the link from my GC profile) for my own interest group; hence the amateurish appearance of the site - I did my best . The site includes the text: "Although unable to officially declare any affiliation until granted our charter we are excited to have heard Phi Alpha Delta International Law Fraternity are certainly interested in the possibility of working with us. [Views expressed in this document are my own and not those of The <deleted for this GC post> University]." Working with us means they have said they are receptive to the possibility of my petitioning them. The HQ has okayed my use of the term. My site also makes it clear it is an interest group and specifies that fraternity as being the one we hope to affiliate to.
The official website of Phi Alpha Delta International Law Fraternity is at www.pad.org. I have no connection with Phi Alpha Delta and am NOT a member of them; nor can (or do) I speak for them. Who knows what the future may hold - but not a member now. The list on MY website is taken from the prominent alumni list on the official fraternity website of PAD. I have specified certain alumni from the long list on that official site (those presidents, senators and attorneys) as those are most likely to be people that students on my campus might have heard of - e.g. Cochran through the OJ Simpson trial on TV, and naturally Presidents.
Quote:
Surely this list includes the two worst presidents of the post-WW2 era, a slimy lawyer, and Hillary, a lying crook who should be in jail.
Not my place to comment. It remains the alumni you list are prominent members of the Fraternity and are famous.
Quote:
I'll dismiss her/him (Decadence) as a typical hyper-liberal campus promoter of political correctness, unable to make an effective argument without attacking the decent opponent within 30 seconds.
It's 'him' (Richard). I was not overly personal, excluding a 'minor indiscretion'! I'm not sure how I was especially 'politically correct'? If you choose to dismiss my thoughts that is your prerogative, but I continue to question why you post the material you do. My complaint is not a lone voice in the wilderness. Other people take offence too - even in this thread. If you commented and debated here about what could be done to STOP and PREVENT some of the negative stuff which happens in the name of greek life that would be understandable, commendable even. But you do not. It is the absence of comment and the absence of explanation for the blindly posting continual diatribes about how bad greeks are, on a forum dedicated to them, a forum FOR them which I have a problem with. Difficult things can be brought up, take James. He posted (this is from memory so forgive any minor mistakes) a thread called 'Hazing works'. As one might expect, it caused anger. But, he persisted to say he was trying to start a real debate and the facts were though it WAS effective on some levels in building some sort of bond it WAS at a terrible cost... SO, he went on to ask, how could we build fraternal bonds without hazing. In other words a difficult subject important to the greek community... discussed. Your posts Hoosier do not do this. That is why I question your motives - the WAY you do what you do, and the apparent absence of any higher purpose to your postings. (eg prevention).
Quote:
This all started out with a posting about www.badjocks.com mentioning TX A&M and a series of non-fraternity hazing events there. Decadence jumps right for the throat of Hoosier and badjocks.
No, just Hoosier . I never mentioned the site.
Quote:
We're against the hazing at TX A&M. It does nothing constructive to attack Hoosier or badjocks.
We're all against hazing period. I attacked you Hoosier because all you are seen to do is post these negative stories. For that matter, it wasn't even possible for me to tell you WERE against hazing prior to you making that express statement.

This post is getting long and probably repetitive so I'll end it now. Hopefully it's reasonably coherent. I'm happy to debate more in other posts.

Decadence... aka Richard... not yet a member of any GLO!

Last edited by decadence; 05-03-2003 at 05:31 PM.