GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,591
1 members and 1,590 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 01-28-2002, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Yay for Locals!

I've been lurking around and reading on GC for about six months now and this is my first post. I'm sure there's probably already been a thread like this, but no one has posted here in a couple of days and I think we should get some discussion going!
I don't know if it's just me, but lately I have been reading a lot of posts that seem to have a negative attitude towards local GLOs.

I am a member of a local sorority that has been at my university for over 100 years. We may not be the biggest or the most popular chapter on campus, but we have a strong, close-knit sisterhood that I wouldn't trade for anything. We participate as equals in the campus Greek events and councils (In fact, two of my sisters currently hold offices on the Panhel exec board). We have a house, albeit not as nice as some of the other sororities, but it's set up so that we all have single rooms (it can hold about 25 sisters; it looks more like dorm than a house), which in my opinion is much more comfortable than some of the other groups that have nice houses but have 4 or 5 people per room (after a bad freshman roommate experience, I don't know if I would be able to stand it ). Some members of the Greek community don't even realize that we aren't a national organization (although, I can't see how they wouldn't be able to see that, we use it a lot to distinguish ourselves from the other sororities in formal rush and Greek Week especially).

One of the coolest things that I think comes from being a local and from being on our campus for so long is our history. We have the orginal pictures and documents of our founders, their scrapbooks and banquet programs, and other misc. items. We also have a lot of atifacts from the other local sororities that either folded or chose to affiliate with national organizations. It's also neat that a lot of the buildings that our founders and early members used for their meetings and ceremonies still stand on our campus so we can kind of imagine what their lives and school experiences were like.

So, anyways, this has turned into a lot longer post than I intended it to be. I'm hoping to get some discussion started, so here are some questions to think about.
1) What makes you most proud to be in a local GLO?

2) What do you see as advantages (or even disadvantages) to being a local?

3) Is your organization a member of your campus' Panhel/IFC and if so, do you participate in campus wide Greek events (Greek Week, Formal Rush, etc.)?

4) This sort of goes with question 3, but what do you see as the biggest problems facing your chapter?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you've made it this far, and I look forward to reading your responses.

Havilah
Old 01-28-2002, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Havilah, do you go to CWRU????????
Old 01-28-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I don't go to CWRU.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That is so weird because it sounds exactly like my campus ... only one local and it doesn't have the nicest house, and they're the only one with real history on campus. But they are treated just like a national and participate in everything.

Anyway, I'm not in a local, but I think it's nice that girls have that option to join a local if they want. The local history angle is a big deal, especially to girls from that area, and the dues are less than the nationals, which is a real consideration for many people. And I know a lot of girls cited the lack of restrictions from Nationals as a reason they joined.

So while I of course think EVERYONE should join my sorority, , I think it's a good think there are locals out there.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

1. I am proud to be a local because I can honestly say that I know all of my sisters personally. If I am having a bad day or something I can pick up the phone and call one of them up. We have a pretty tight sisterhood.

2. One of the disadvantages is the NPC and the NPHC on our campus look down on us because we are a Multicultural sorority and they do not see the need for it. An advantage to not being a part of either NPC or NPHC is we do not have to adhere to such strict policies, rules, and regulations. Our school only holds us responsible for the guidelines set for all Fraternities and Sororities.

3. Obviously we are not a part of either NPC or NPHC, but the NPC director has asked if we would like to be a part of our schools NPC since we are an Up and Coming National Org.

4. The biggest problem is probably recruiting new members. A lot of people are worried what their freinds will think of them if they pledge a HISTORICALLY multicultural organization