GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,508
0 members and 2,508 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid question

Howdy, let me start with some backstory.

I rushed for a fraternity (we'll call it A) two years ago, Spring of '09 as a freshman. Got a bid, and actually started pledging for three weeks. Then hazing started, as in bad hazing (having to touch pledge brothers "things" etc..) and i stopped pledging. Another reason for the reluctance to pledge back then was i didn't know anything about Greek life, i rushed and peldged for the wrong reasons.

This semester i decided to check out the other fraternities during rush week. I found my gem of a Fraternity. Fraternity B is considered the more revered fraternity than the others, and usually have big pledge classes. Yesterday evening was interview night. Everything went smooth (including me meeting all the actives, etc...) but then i was asked the question i was not ready for. "Did you pledge/rush any other fraternities?"

I answered truthfully saying yes, and the reason for me dropping out of pledging. This triggered in my mind the possibility of not getting a bid. Before this i was chatting it up with the actives, even chilled with them between classes, etc...

All day i've been anxious/nervous if that will alone get me to not get a bid. I am looking forward to pledging for this fraternity if given the chance, but i feel like since there were 14 people there last night, that they wouldn't be able to extend a bid to me.

Just wondering what ya'll would think. Bid night is tommorrow, and i am so nervous/anxious on what the text will say when i get it. Anything to mention/help with the anxiousness or whatever. Hoping to get a BID
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and today i saw some of the actives around campus and maybe i was just looking to far into it, but one said good luck tommorrow, another was like yo and thats it, and it wasn't the most friendliest of greetings from anyone from a potential new member. But that could be me just reading into things WAY too much./
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

damn interviews? sheesh
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

damn interviews?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

None of us can answer your question, not really. You find out tomorrow, so try to RELAX tonight and watch a movie with your dorm buddies or something. You've done everything you can and can't realistically change anything now.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyHunter213 View Post

I rushed for a fraternity (we'll call it A) two years ago, Spring of '09 as a freshman. Got a bid, and actually started pledging for three weeks. Then hazing started, as in bad hazing (having to touch pledge brothers "things" etc..) and i stopped pledging. Another reason for the reluctance to pledge back then was i didn't know anything about Greek life, i rushed and peldged for the wrong reasons.

This semester i decided to check out the other fraternities during rush week. I found my gem of a Fraternity. Fraternity B is considered the more revered fraternity than the others, and usually have big pledge classes. Yesterday evening was interview night. Everything went smooth (including me meeting all the actives, etc...) but then i was asked the question i was not ready for. "Did you pledge/rush any other fraternities?"

I answered truthfully saying yes, and the reason for me dropping out of pledging. This triggered in my mind the possibility of not getting a bid. Before this i was chatting it up with the actives, even chilled with them between classes, etc...

All day i've been anxious/nervous if that will alone get me to not get a bid. I am looking forward to pledging for this fraternity if given the chance, but i feel like since there were 14 people there last night, that they wouldn't be able to extend a bid to me.

Just wondering what ya'll would think. Bid night is tommorrow, and i am so nervous/anxious on what the text will say when i get it. Anything to mention/help with the anxiousness or whatever. Hoping to get a BID
Quote:
Oh, and today i saw some of the actives around campus and maybe i was just looking to far into it, but one said good luck tommorrow, another was like yo and thats it, and it wasn't the most friendliest of greetings from anyone from a potential new member. But that could be me just reading into things WAY too much./
Also QFP juuuuuust in case.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I answered truthfully saying yes, and the reason for me dropping out of pledging.
This triggered in my mind the possibility of not getting a bid. Before this i was chatting it up with the actives, even chilled with them between classes, etc...

Answering truthfully is always the best policy.

Sometimes during an interview - be it formal or during an informal chat - the answer to a question may already be known. What they (the brothers) may really want to know is if you are going to be truthful with them.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

yea im just hoping that thats not a reason of me not getting a bid.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

At some schools, pledging a group, even though you dropped before initiation due to hazing, is enough for some people to not want to give you a bid (You're considered tainted). It sucks, but it happens.

Also, did you ever report the hazing to that group's national office?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Normally having chosen a different fraternity OVER fraternity B & then trying to go back to B later would kill you. No one likes to be the fallback you settled for when you couldn't hack it in fraternity A.

It's just like going up to two girls at a bar and ignoring one to hit on the other. If the first one blows you off, your chances with her friend are not good no matter how much she liked you when you walked up. Now, that's actually worked out for me before, so there's always a chance.

That said, about the hazing... a lot of things classified as hazing are really no big deal. They're a risk mgmt and legal risk, but mostly not dangerous. It's just policy to keep things sane and prevent lawsuits. Some hazing though is messed up & or dangerous. Being required to touch a pledge brother in "that" way is extremely messed up. I would have told them on the spot to F-off and walked out. My whole pledge class actually had the discussion to all do that together in the case something like that ever came up - which of course it never did.

If you told me that story in an interview, I'd first of all not believe you. But, if I did believe you I wouldn't hold quitting the previous fraternity against you.

So anyway, how'd it turn out?