GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,627
3 members and 1,624 guests
g41965, PGD-GRAD, Sister Havana

Old 02-07-2009, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Dinner questions

Hi, I have loads of questions about a "bid dinner", which I've browsed these forums and havent found.

-What do you typically do at a bid dinner? How is it different from rush events(just more of getting to know the guys)?
-Do I need to wear a suit and/or bring a date?
-Will I have to speak in front of the whole fraternity(I hate public speaking, lol)?

any other general info is much appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We din't have one.

I'll have to ask my friends at a University that does.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-07-2009, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoheadlights View Post
Hi, I have loads of questions about a "bid dinner", which I've browsed these forums and havent found.

-What do you typically do at a bid dinner? How is it different from rush events(just more of getting to know the guys)?
-Do I need to wear a suit and/or bring a date?
-Will I have to speak in front of the whole fraternity(I hate public speaking, lol)?

Better get over that one fast, it's part of being in a fraternity.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry, let me clarify. im fine speaking with each member individually or in groups, but the fraternity im going for has 100+ actives - will i speak in front of this large group(audience of 100+)?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoheadlights View Post
Hi, I have loads of questions about a "bid dinner", which I've browsed these forums and haven't found.

-What do you typically do at a bid dinner? How is it different from rush events (just more of getting to know the guys)?
It depends on the fraternity and the specific chapter. Generally speaking, and unless otherwise stated, a "bid dinner" involves a more formal sit down meal. Members of the chapter and invited alumni often speak of what it means to be a brother. There may be some sort of social hour before or after as well which allows you to get to know the guys better.

I am hesitant to say this, but *sometimes*, bids are extended at the dinner. To be clear, some chapters do, others do not. So just because you have been extended an invite to a "bid dinner" does not mean they are going to be extending bids that evening.

Quote:
Do I need to wear a suit and/or bring a date?
Unless otherwise noted on the invite, *yes* to the suit (maybe business casual - i.e. jacket and tie) and *no* to the date.

If there is a member who has been guiding you through rush, you might want to ask him what is the proper attire. Don't ask like you don't know, but ask more like "I was thinking of wearing a suit, but heard from others that a jacket, tie and khakis are appropriate. What would you suggest?"

Remember, if it turns out you are "overdressed" you may always take off a tie and jacket. But you can not add them.

Quote:
-Will I have to speak in front of the whole fraternity (I hate public speaking, lol)?
Most likely no. Generally, the bid dinner is when the chapter president, rush chair, sometime other brothers, and perhaps alumni speak. Again, if there is some social hour/event attached to the dinner, then by all means, be sure to engage the brothers.

Quote:
Because different chapters extend bids differently, do not at any time ask if you are getting a bid.

Other than that, go and enjoy yourself.