GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,501
3 members and 2,498 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 12-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Why why why why why??? Seriously, this is the thing that has struck me as the oddest since I joined GC. I had no idea there were people who "pursued" sorority membership POST-college years. You're a grown woman with your whole life and whole world open to you, what, exactly, about this is "the piece" that's missing? There are plenty of other social and service options out there for you to join, why this reach-back to something whose time has passed for you? Sorry, I just don't. get. it.

And I hate the term "PNAM". Is that a real thing recognized by the NPC? If not, who made it up and why?

/rant
PNAM=term made up by GCers. Not a recognized NPC term (because not all NPC sororities do AI).

As far as being confused over adult women pursuing NPC membership, welcome to GC. The AI forum created somewhat of a "market" for AI that didn't exist before. Many people who are NPC sorority alumnae themselves hadn't even heard of it until they came here.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I'm pretty sure it was born on GC when sorority shopping suddenly became the thing to do.

AFAIK, it's not an NPC thing since AI policies vary from organization to organization.

You're right, it was invented on GC; though, it was coined well prior to the "sorority shopping surge". I recall the term being in use prior to 2003. One of the GC regulars at the time came up with it to be cute; but, because people used "PNM" interchangeably with 18 year old freshmen and 40 year old professionals, it was also meant to help people distinguish between the two.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis6 View Post
In regard to only being in the US for half the year, I know it may cause complications. One of my dreams is to get settled someplace in the US, but it will take a few years.
I have to agree with the others in that this would be an awkward arrangement. The alumnae chapter may not "get" why you're trying to join the sorority when you're admittedly not going to be around to contribute and will be unable to contribute while in Canada (you said there was no chapter there, right?).

If the half of the year you're in the US happens to be the summer, you may not get to participate at all as many alumnae groups break for the summer. In my chapter we basically have one event, a July luncheon, and that's about it.

You may have to wait a while until you get settled back in the US permanently and, even then, this may not be the opportunity for you.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I have already attempted to remain in contact with my local via social websites. I am still hopeful that someday in the future it will be more than just a 'add as virtual friend' and be able to plan events. However, this has not dimmed my interest in seeking out an NPC GLO.
I'm sure that would make your sisters feel great.

SRSLY, this reminds me of the whole Gamma Chi debacle and more than one (like 150) people pointing out that if you were putting as much time into your current GLO as you were into Gamma Chi you'd all be BFFs like in college and have raised $10,000 for your philanthropy.

Sorry for breaking the Bloody Mary/Gamma Chi rule guys.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I have already attempted to remain in contact with my local via social websites. I am still hopeful that someday in the future it will be more than just a 'add as virtual friend' and be able to plan events.

You can still plan events via facebook or other networking websites with your sisters from your local. You can plan a reunion event at your school's homecoming, or plan for people to gather in a city for a fun weekend somewhere and catch up. Just make sure that it is planned well in advance because people have jobs and kids and time is needed to make arrangements (as in 6 months to a year ahead of time).
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKohlman View Post
Why? Why not? Why does it bother you so much nittany?
Chris, why don't you sponsor the OP for AI into ZTA?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Grad Girl 08
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Why why why why why??? Seriously, this is the thing that has struck me as the oddest since I joined GC. I had no idea there were people who "pursued" sorority membership POST-college years. You're a grown woman with your whole life and whole world open to you, what, exactly, about this is "the piece" that's missing? There are plenty of other social and service options out there for you to join, why this reach-back to something whose time has passed for you? Sorry, I just don't. get. it.

And I hate the term "PNAM". Is that a real thing recognized by the NPC? If not, who made it up and why?

/rant
I'm going to insert my two cents here. For some of us who do join post college it's because when we were students there was no way we could have joined. I was a theatre major and spent 40 hours in the theatre weekly. I didn't have time to dedicate to a NPC like it needs to be. So for me, I finnaly have the time to dedicate to a organization that I didn't as a undergrad. Because as a grad student I rarely work on shows because it's all about theory now.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grad Girl 08 View Post
I'm going to insert my two cents here. For some of us who do join post college it's because when we were students there was no way we could have joined. I was a theatre major and spent 40 hours in the theatre weekly. I didn't have time to dedicate to a NPC like it needs to be. So for me, I finnaly have the time to dedicate to a organization that I didn't as a undergrad. Because as a grad student I rarely work on shows because it's all about theory now.
Welcome to GC. If you have an interest in pursuing NPC sorority membership at this level, I'm going to suggest that you read as much as you can on the topic of AI before posting.

"Why didn't you join in college?" is likely something you'll be asked at some point, so it's a valid question.

Also, in some NPCs, grad students are not eligible to be considered as Alumna Initiates.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-18-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool ducks in a row

I know and thank you for the warm welcome. I know to expect a long process and I think I've narrowed it down to three. Two that are on my campus and one that isn't. Two of our four sisterhoods don't allow grad students and I completely understand that! I've meet girls from all the chapters and think we have some of the sweetest greek girls in the world on our campus! After meeting the girls I went the main websites and found out who allowed AI's and who didn't. After that I started researching other sisterhoods who allowed AI and found a third one that I liked their standards and what they stand for. Now I'm in the process of figuring out how to go about I guess it would be called rushing? even though I'm not a undergrad. I don't know if I can go through the local college chapter or do I go through an alum chapter.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

*places popcorn in microwave*
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
I know and thank you for the warm welcome. I know to expect a long process and I think I've narrowed it down to three. Two that are on my campus and one that isn't. Two of our four sisterhoods don't allow grad students and I completely understand that! I've meet girls from all the chapters and think we have some of the sweetest greek girls in the world on our campus! After meeting the girls I went the main websites and found out who allowed AI's and who didn't. After that I started researching other sisterhoods who allowed AI and found a third one that I liked their standards and what they stand for. Now I'm in the process of figuring out how to go about I guess it would be called rushing? even though I'm not a undergrad. I don't know if I can go through the local college chapter or do I go through an alum chapter.
I have so many issues with this post, but I'll refrain from telling you what I really feel.

Oh, and there is no rushing in Alumnae Initiation.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
I don't know if I can go through the local college chapter or do I go through an alum chapter.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Every organization is different, but generally, AI involves alumna chapters only. Not collegians. Hence why it is beneficial to really read up and know what's going on.

Also, there's no "rushing" in AI.

Every sorority does things differently, there are some who would expect you to contact an alumna chapter on your own, while others don't want you to apprach them at all.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I have so many issues with this post, but I'll refrain from telling you what I really feel.

Oh, and there is no rushing in Alumnae Initiation.
Have I offended you in some way? I'm sorry I didn't mean to. And thank you for the clarification, my apologies. But do feel free to express your opinion. It's important. You won't offend me. I know I’m unorthodox in my methods but I’ve never been one to go into anything blind. Most of the girls encouraged me. They think it’s important to be informed. I love the girls and whether I was to join or not they’ll still be my friends. But I’m sorry if you found something offensive in my methods.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Every organization is different, but generally, AI involves alumna chapters only. Not collegians. Hence why it is beneficial to really read up and know what's going on.

Also, there's no "rushing" in AI.

Every sorority does things differently, there are some who would expect you to contact an alumna chapter on your own, while others don't want you to apprach them at all.
Thank you so much for your input! It helps so much! I've been slow on reading up on it because I get confused about certain things and I'll try to keep reading up. Thank you for your help!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Point of information: If your friends in sororities are collegiate members, they will not be involved in any of your pursuits, because AI involves ALUMNA chapters/the national organization.
Some of them are. I do have friends who are Alum of sisterhoods but I don't talk to them about my intrest. I think that would be rude and put them on the spot and that's not fair to them.