GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,717
2 members and 1,715 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring!! But want to stay in pi phi

Hello, I joined Pi Beta Phi at my current school. I want to transfer to penn state for the business school. I've heard not all sororities do the voting process and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and it worked out for them! Not sure what I'd do if I cant stay in my sorority at penn state:/
Lookin for advice or relatable stories too i guess !!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransferPA View Post
Hello, I joined Pi Beta Phi at my current school. I want to transfer to penn state for the business school. I've heard not all sororities do the voting process and I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and it worked out for them! Not sure what I'd do if I cant stay in my sorority at penn state:/
Lookin for advice or relatable stories too i guess !!
We can not speak for the PSU Pi Phi chapter, and unless a PSU Pi Phi is here, we can only tell you how a transferred is honored at our school.

I would suggest that you contact the PSU chapter ASAP. Go visit them, let them get to know you. THEN, see if you indeed want to transfer chapters. I know with ADPi, if you transfer to another school, you do not have to affiliate with the chapter, nor do they need to accept you. Pi Beta Phi may be different.

Also, I'd delete the other two threads, or merge the three. You really don't have to repeat them

Best of luck!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah! I've visited I just haven't made the decision till now, I wasn't sure who to ask about all this, without having an awkward conversation I guess. haha.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're already initiated, you can't ever join another NPC sorority...so it's Pi Phi or nothing. My daughter is a Pi Phi and I know they had a new policy adopted at their Convention last year that requires chapters to vote to "reactivate" members who leave school and then return, even to the same chapter. So, my guess is that there would be a chapter vote for affiliation. I would definitely contact Pi Phi headquarters and the chapter at PSU.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You'll always be a Pi Phi....you'd just be an alum if you can't affiliate. You may have to provide proof that you are in good standing, etc with your old chapter. Your best bet is to check with your regional collegiate officer or HQ to find out what transfer rules are and if PSU has to take you.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
If you're already initiated, you can't ever join another NPC sorority...so it's Pi Phi or nothing. My daughter is a Pi Phi and I know they had a new policy adopted at their Convention last year that requires chapters to vote to "reactivate" members who leave school and then return, even to the same chapter.
I hate to be Judgey McJudgerson, but this is kind of awful. It just really seems like be opening the door for sisters who might have an ax to grind (valid or not) with a returning member.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I hate to be Judgey McJudgerson, but this is kind of awful. It just really seems like be opening the door for sisters who might have an ax to grind (valid or not) with a returning member.
Or conversely to weed out the ones who come and go and come and go with no allegiance. They can still be members of that GLO, just not active chapter members. Besides, it's Pi Phi's business - not yours nor mine.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed that it is not "non Pi Phi" business, but I think they had a very lenient policy beforehand about going inactive, then coming back to active status, while still enrolled. As in, "I'm too busy this semester, but I'll be back next year" and "Not feeling it as a senior, think I'll go alum early while still enrolled." I think this was intended to nip that in the bud, but I agree that this was a sea change. I'm sure they had good rationale and reasons, though.

Both their previous policy and their current policy differ from ours, which is mid-way between lenient and strict. To each their own!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact your VP Admin for help.