GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,065
0 members and 1,065 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Switching Sororities?

During recruitment in Fall 2010, I recieved a bid from my second choice sorority (XYZ). I was absolutely crushed that I didn't get a bid from my first choice, but I decided to give XYZ a chance and joined. After being apart of this soroity for a year, I don't feel that I bond with these girls at all. I'm just wondering if there is anyway you can quit one soroity and join another? I've heard that once you initiate that's it, but I've also heard that if you disaffiliate for a year, then re-rush, you can join another soroity.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

No. If you have been initiated into an NPC sorority, you can never join another NPC sorority. Ever. Under any circumstances. Even if they're super sad and unique.

If you want to join a non-NPC, maybe. But you obvi can't stick with anything, so why would they want to give you a chance?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

No.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Your choices are your current sorority or no Greek Life at all. You control your happiness in your chapter. What have you done to try to find your niche in your chapter?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2010 View Post
During recruitment in Fall 2010, I recieved a bid from my second choice sorority (XYZ). I was absolutely crushed that I didn't get a bid from my first choice, but I decided to give XYZ a chance and joined. After being apart of this soroity for a year, I don't feel that I bond with these girls at all. I'm just wondering if there is anyway you can quit one soroity and join another? I've heard that once you initiate that's it, but I've also heard that if you disaffiliate for a year, then re-rush, you can join another soroity.
Well if you've been apart from this sorority for a year, of course you won't feel a bond.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've heard that once you initiate that's it, but I've also heard that if you disaffiliate for a year, then re-rush, you can join another soroity.
Negative. No. Not possible. Not ever. Nuh-uhn. Not happening.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

that's if you drop out after pledging but before initiating. You're living in the "my life would be better if I'd gotten my first choice" world. And it's fake. You are assuming the girls would be nicer, the parties would be more fun, the boys you date would be hotter, all because you're wearing different letters. Suck it up and find your way in the group that you have. Bring your own fun!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

Also, if your "first choice" didn't pick you to begin with, even if you could do what you propose (which you can't) it's very unlikely that they would pick you now anyway. Why would a sorority choose someone who's already shown a lack of loyalty and commitment, and who thinks that the sorority should do all the "bonding" work for her? The only groups who would choose such a person are completely desperate for members, and call me crazy, but I have a feeling your "first choice" isn't desperate.

There is no other sorority for you at this point, so either make the one you're in work, or disaffiliate and don't be Greek at all. It's up to you.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've also heard that if you disaffiliate for a year, then re-rush, you can join another soroity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
that's if you drop out after pledging but before initiating.
Correct, and we know she initiated because:
Quote:
During recruitment in Fall 2010, I recieved a bid from my second choice sorority (XYZ). I was absolutely crushed that I didn't get a bid from my first choice, but I decided to give XYZ a chance and joined. After being a part of this sorority for a year, I don't feel that I bond with these girls at all.