GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,197
0 members and 2,197 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 AM

Why DID you make it into a sorority?

Ok, we all know the other thread has speculations about why you didn't, BUT I wanna know why you think your org chose YOU!

I'll start:

I think my house was looking for an enthusiastic person to brighten things up and bring some positive energy. They had some nagativity in the chapter at the time, and they were looking for girls who had a positive outlook.

Also, I think they respected the fact that I'd waited till sophomore year to go Greek. They admired that I wanted to have a good solid GPA first, AND since I'd waited so long to check out sororities, I KNEW what I was looking for in one.

I think the sisters wanted someone who was genuinely interested in being Greek (I've known I wanted to be Greek since HS) and knew that membership was a serious committment.
They knew I wasn't just looking for letters, but somewhere to feel at home and put alot of my time and energy into.

I'm thankful everyday that they looked past my obvious racial/physical differences and saw my potential to be a great sister.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-16-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't see how anyone could be offended by this post. I think it's great for PNMs to see what different chapters are looking for in a sister and why. Obviously you have what your chapter was looking for so you have first hand experience.

That being said I believe my chapter wanted me because I represent Kappa Delta's Five True Colors, Scholarship, Leadership, Sisterhood, Social, and Service. I'm an honor student, volunteer, campus leader, and love going out with my friends. I'm also very down to earth and laid back and balance out some of the more dramatic, high strung girls in the house (especially some of the girls in my pledge class.....love you, ladies! )

Well, that's it....have a great day, friends!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I too think this is a great thread... The reason I believe I received a bid from Alpha Delta Pi: Involved in leadership positions in high school, honor student, looked forward to intermurals (my chapter has always been a fan of playing, even if we didn't win much), very layed back... also I believe that the fact that I was looking for a place to feel comfortable made a difference, and they saw quickly that I was able to... i did not go through formal recruitment, so it was the fact that I was able to hang out with the sorority and be me...
Old 09-16-2004, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

i believe i made into ADPi because the girls saw what i had to offer. i was so comfortable with them and they liked being around me. i was a perfect fit into their chapter. *tooting my horn*
i am so thankful that the girls looked at me and saw a sister.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe I made it into ADPi because coming in, I had a high GPA, lots of involvement and leadership background in both high school and college, and I knew a few of the sisters. While I was there, I acted like myself, and I made sure to tell the sisters how much I liked ADPi and how happy I was there. I think I presented myself as a well-rounded person and I got along very well with every woman I met. In fact, I am still very close with all the girls who rushed me, years later!

Above all, I think I got into my sorority because I clicked well with the women who became my sisters.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:43 PM
That1LoudChick

I think I got into Phi Gam because I was (and still am!) a big ball of energy packed inside a small body. I believe the president at the time (who is now my roommate!) and many of the sisters saw "Hey, she's cool, she's fun, and she's got spunk! We've got to have her!"

I felt really comfortable with the sisters, even when talking about Kappa Phi (something I was afraid to do with other sororities on campus in fear that they would think I was already in a sorority). I think the sisters admired the fact that I was willing to do both sorority life and exec board of Kappa Phi and they admired my determination.

Also, I had a great (compared to now) GPA and was already involved in a life group as well as Kappa Phi so they knew I could juggle everything. I honestly remember just being myself around those women. I wasn't afraid or nervous, I just was.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great idea for a thread...

I think Delta Gamma chose me because I was extremely involved on campus... When I rushed as a sophomore, I had founded an improv group on campus and was the Artistic Director for a theatre company that produced 10 plays a year. I had plenty of honors and awards and things, but I really felt like Greek life was missing from my college experience.

Any sorority would want a woman with good grades, awards, and tons of campus involvement... it makes the sorority stronger to have people involved in other activities!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 AM

*bump*

Oh- I originally asked if anyone would be offended just b/c I know there are several women on this site who either went bidless, left rush, or just in general had a bad Greek Life experience. And I didn't want this thread to make them uncomfortable.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-18-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Because I was involved on campus (athlete, student government, College Dems, etc), had a high GPA, and was dating somebody prestige.

(The third was just icing on the cake, really, but it did help.)
Old 09-18-2004, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was very active in high school and had great leadership experience. I had a high GPA and a good resume. I didn't have the greatest recruitment experience but I think I was outgoing and easy enough to talk to and let enough of my personality shine through (a bit too much in one case?) for the girls to see who I really was.

In all honesty, though, I still think a big reason I made it into Kappa was because I was a legacy. How I got in doesn't make a whit of difference, though, it's what I did with my time in that matters to me, and I believe I spent it fairly well.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I originally rushed in my freshman year, but dropped out due to peer pressure...it was stupid at the time, but in the end, I was better off...I transferred schools my junior year and the population of the new school was 400% larger than the one I was leaving...I decided to rush again, feeling overwhelmed by the population difference...

This time, as a junior, I felt I had a better idea of who I was and what I was looking for in a sorority. I went through rush and when it came down to my Pref. night choices I went to both parties.

**PNM's I would NOT recommend what I'm about to say..especially if your campus has guaranteed bidding!!!***

When I returned to my Rho Chi to sign my Pref. card, I remember not wanting my 2nd choice at all and suicided my bid card...my Rho Chi advised me against this, but I only wanted my 1st choice or nothing...

I got my 1st choice! (Obviously ... LOL)

While in the house, I loved and hated my experience. I went alum early because of the reduction in units, but remained active with my sisters. There were A LOT of interpersonal problems and friction throughout my active years. We were continuously COB'ing and we couldn't fill our house (which only slept 7 sisters!). The house closed the year of my graduation (Oct. 1991)...

Since then, I've been advising another chapter off and on during the last 12 years. I've enjoyed working with upcoming generations of AXO's and seeing the changes in the NPC as a whole. I'm also currently the alumnae group president.

Someone once told me that being an active is only approximately 4 years (2-1/2 for me), but being an alum is for life!!! I'm definitely enjoying my status as a alumna so much more and realizing what "the bond" is all about...
Old 09-19-2004, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
This is a self congratulatory thread lol. Nothing wrong with that but kind of funny.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe the reason that I made it into AOII was because I was incredibly obvious about how much I loved it and that I was really active in high school with a good GPA. The first day I was there, I was decided that AOII was where I wanted to be. I didn't know how obvious I was being til after recruitment when the sisters told me that it was so obvious that they could give me anyone to talk to cause they knew I wanted AOII so bad!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what......

Honestly, I'm not sure why DG chose me. I rushed as a Freshman with an average HS GPA of 2.8 and the only activities I was involved in during HS was Band and a couple minor clubs. I played some league sports throughout my life, but nothing largely special.

As for now.....I'm sure DG chose me because they saw me as the type to become a leader and do great things throughout the time that I was there. But I'm really not sure if those things were apparent at the time I rushed.

*ADPiAkron might have input on why ADPi might have wanted me since I did pref there.....but who knows??* <----trying not to put her on the spot!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hannahgirl
*ADPiAkron might have input on why ADPi might have wanted me since I did pref there.....but who knows??* <----trying not to put her on the spot!
Just as any chapter does for pref-- we invite back women we can potentially see as a sister! So there is your answer-- kind of generic-- but I cannot give specifics as that seems like it was eons ago!