GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,482
0 members and 1,482 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

When I graduated from high school in 99, I was only in the top 30% of my class of about 330. My grades were slightly above average and my SAT scores were good, but I was definately not a straight "A" or honor student.

I never even considered applying to UT (I've considered myself an Aggie since I was 13), so I guess I can't really comment on their situation. But, I was accepted to A&M as a freshman, without being top 10%. My high school was very competitive as well.

I'm not sure what my opinion is about the top 10% rule. There are obviously going to be good and bad points to it. It will allow more inner city students to have the chance to go to schools like A&M and UT, but it will also keep out some very qualified students as well.

I guess until someone comes up with something better, this is how it's gonna be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2004, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
When I graduated from high school in 99, I was only in the top 30% of my class of about 330. My grades were slightly above average and my SAT scores were good, but I was definately not a straight "A" or honor student.

I never even considered applying to UT (I've considered myself an Aggie since I was 13), so I guess I can't really comment on their situation. But, I was accepted to A&M as a freshman, without being top 10%. My high school was very competitive as well.

I'm not sure what my opinion is about the top 10% rule. There are obviously going to be good and bad points to it. It will allow more inner city students to have the chance to go to schools like A&M and UT, but it will also keep out some very qualified students as well.

I guess until someone comes up with something better, this is how it's gonna be.
Gig'em Sister Ag!
Exquisite 5 '02

Oh, and I do just want to add, because people often forget that Top Ten Percent doesn't just help inner city students. It also helps students from very small rural towns with tiny, often non-competitive high schools.

Last edited by Exquisite5; 10-20-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisite5
Gig'em Sister Ag!
Exquisite 5 '02

Oh, and I do just want to add, because people often forget that Top Ten Percent doesn't just help inner city students. It also helps students from very small rural towns with tiny, often non-competitive high schools.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

California has come up with a program that offers admission to a four-year state campus to high schoolers in (I believe -- someone correct me) the top 4%...but it does NOT guarantee admission to the campus of your choice. So you definitely get a four-year education, but it might be at UC-Riverside or a Cal State school instead of Berkeley or UCLA; those campuses are allowed to maintain their standards as they see fit, which in effect means that you need to submit a high SAT score in addition to your class rank. This is how they've avoided the severe overcrowding problems that UT is struggling with.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msn4med1975 Send a message via Yahoo to msn4med1975
I really don't have anything else to add but I'm glad this conversation didn't deteriorate into something ugly. I love folks from Texas I tell ya.

the stars at night are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas ......................ROFL
Old 10-21-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

In Louisiana, I hardly ever hear of someone not getting into school. We have lots of excellent smaller universities around the state. I am sure takes some major heat out of the LSU selections process which I am sure is still pretty rough. I had no trouble getting in years ago but I had an awesome ACT score, lots of extracurriculars and pretty good grades.

The best thing about Louisiana is our TOPS program (which I am sure is going to bankrupt the state). If you have a minimum ACT of 20 (or the state's average from the previous year) and a GPA of 2.5 on specified core classes, your tuition is paid for 8 semesters. You also get a stipend if you have certain levels above that. It is an awesome program and is why many of us don't leave the state for college.