GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,048
2 members and 1,046 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 12-24-2009, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb 1987?

I have a question. I thought ZPhiB/Phi Beta Sigma were the only connection with GLOs in the NALFO.
But I heard that in 1987 Delta Sigma Theta introduced stepping to Lambda Theta Nu by inviting them to step on a unity stroll. http://www.lambdathetanu.org/culture/stepping.html

I know in Florida the FIRM Fam is big, but are there any places that this unknown bond is elaborated on? I thought it was interesting and fascinating.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutnl3 View Post
I have a question. I thought ZPhiB/Phi Beta Sigma were the only connection with GLOs in the NALFO.
But I heard that in 1987 Delta Sigma Theta introduced stepping to Lambda Theta Nu by inviting them to step on a unity stroll. http://www.lambdathetanu.org/culture/stepping.html

I know in Florida the FIRM Fam is big, but are there any places that this unknown bond is elaborated on? I thought it was interesting and fascinating.
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. BGLOs have relationships with other frats and sororities on many campuses. Delta is no exception. Inviting someone to step 22 years ago is hardly a "bond." What is the relationship today?

Oh and what is the FIRM Fam?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree w/ Soror LadyGreek. Since stepping isn't even a necessary part of any of our organizations, from inviting another group to step would connect in no more than the time it took to do the show!

You are correct that Zeta and Sigma have been and remain the only two BGLO's bound to each other.

Please do not confuse Delta reaching out to another organization as creating a particular "bond" and I hardly find this fact about this stepshow "interesting and fascinating."

Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Inviting someone to step 22 years ago is hardly a "bond." What is the relationship today?
The relationship is so strong today that, off the top of my head, I don't know what Lambda Theta Nu is and don't know if I've ever had a significant interaction with one.

Ohhhhh Ohhhhh Ohhhhh...we used to be real close with the Sigma Chis on the yard and had programs and social events with them. We were close as individuals and chapters. Does that mean there's an organizational bond and other Deltas and Sigma Chis should know what the hell it's about?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Knowledge1913 View Post
Please do not confuse Delta reaching out to another organization as creating a particular "bond" and I hardly find this fact about this stepshow "interesting and fascinating."
LOL. Exactly. Even if stepping was a necessary part of our organizations. BGLOs have helped each other with steps and stepshows for years. Those are all "bonds" in a general BGLO sense.

This is the only excitement on Delta Avenue?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulutnl3 View Post
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree w/ Soror LadyGreek. Since stepping isn't even a necessary part of any of our organizations, from inviting another group to step would connect in no more than the time it took to do the show!

You are correct that Zeta and Sigma have been and remain the only two BGLO's bound to each other.

And there are Zetas and Sigma that will dispute this.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
And there are Zetas and Sigma that will dispute this.
That sucks.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
That sucks.
Agreed!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh and what is the FIRM Fam?
IIRC the FIRM Fam is Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Lambda Gamma and Sigma Lambda Beta.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
IIRC the FIRM Fam is Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta, Sigma Lambda Gamma and Sigma Lambda Beta.
Also known as "A Bunch of Foolishness, Inc."
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

And anyway, we all know the REALLLLLL BGLO/LGLO unity is the Cornell Cousins of Alpha Phi Alpha, Lambda Upsilon Lambda, and Lambda Pi Chi!

Sponsoring Gold Rush parties near you this spring!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

About the Zetas and Sigmas, I meant being connected to Sigma Lambda Gamma and Sigma Lambda Beta.

Firm Fam = First Inter-Racially Mixed Family

NALFO = National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations

And I guess I find it interesting because growing up in So Cal there is a lot of tension between Latinos and Blacks. I understand that stepping isn't a main focun in sororities, but I thought it is interesting to see that Delta Sigma Theta TAUGHT Lambda Theta Nu how to step and is instrumental in that part. The sorority was founded in 1986, so it wasn't like inviting any regular sorority into a unity step. They helped create the idea of stepping and how to into this new sorority at the time.

Last edited by lulutnl3; 12-26-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc., and you are reading way too much into this.

If you ask any of my sisters, "When was the first time your organization stepped?", she would say, "In 1987, in a unity step with Delta Sigma Theta." I fail to see how that implies that we are somehow connected in any capacity. To leave out the part about stepping with Delta Sigma Theta would be inaccurate, and that's the reason why it's even mentioned on the website. We're not going to say that our first step performance was on our own, because it wasn't--but please don't try to make linkages that are not there.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I am a member of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc., and you are reading way too much into this.

If you ask any of my sisters, "When was the first time your organization stepped?", she would say, "In 1987, in a unity step with Delta Sigma Theta." I fail to see how that implies that we are somehow connected in any capacity. To leave out the part about stepping with Delta Sigma Theta would be inaccurate, and that's the reason why it's even mentioned on the website. We're not going to say that our first step performance was on our own, because it wasn't--but please don't try to make linkages that are not there.

Honestly, I guess I misunderstood what I read then. I was told also that they taught you and so forth. Like I said before, where I come from Blacks and Hispanics don't usually get along so it's interesting for me to see any kind of relationships b/w GLOs from NALFO and NPHC get together in any which way. I meant no disrespect to anyone, I was just trying to understand