GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,647
2 members and 1,645 guests
LaneSig, TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Am I Being Stupid?

Okay, so I went through rush last fall at my college and got dropped, and after getting through the pain of rejection I decided to go for it again. Nowadays, I have had my mind on other things, such as studying abroad this summer, and have not been thinking that much about going through rush as much, although I still plan to.
Sometimes I feel dumb for thinking about this, but on the other hand, it would certainly be a lot of fun, since I enjoyed it last year. So...am I being ridiculous by wanting to sign up rush a second time, or not?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an optimist, so if you feel in your hear this is something you want you should drive forward. It is difficult to give you solid advice when I don't know all the facts. You know- where you go to school, why you dropped, your GPA, activities, why you want to join and so forth. I am just basing my thoughts on heart. When I want something and my deep innerself tells me to do something, then I go forward and do it. I don't want to regret it.

Last edited by baci; 05-12-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I'd prep more for this go-around because you may have two strikes against you (depending on your campus). I'd be sure to get your recs in order and make sure your transcript is updated and correct.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

How exactly do I go about the business of getting recs? It sounds pretty daunting.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
How exactly do I go about the business of getting recs? It sounds pretty daunting.
You've been here since November 2006, participated in some rush-related discussion and you still don't know how to get recs?

Please read adpiucf's General Advice thread an scroll down to the area where she explains about recs.

If you're serious about rushing again this fall, I'd listen to PenguinTrax's advice and make sure you're prepared. Otherwise, yes, I think you're insane for even thinking about rushing again.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 05-12-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

There are numerous threads on this subject. You can do a search and read how to go about it.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 PM

It is certainly worth another shot, you have nothing to lose. However, depending on where you go to school, your chances aren't going to be better the second time around. Your location says you are in FL, so if you're at the bigger FL schools like UF or FSU, it will be more difficult for you to get a bid as a non-freshman, which is compounded by having been released last year. UCF and some other schools are a bit more open to upperclassmen, but I don't know how having rushed before will affect you. No matter where you're at, I would try to prepare better via getting recs, but be aware that having them is helpful, but it won't guarantee you more invites or a bid.

Best of luck!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-12-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It is certainly worth another shot, you have nothing to lose. However, depending on where you go to school, your chances aren't going to be better the second time around. Your location says you are in FL, so if you're at the bigger FL schools like UF or FSU, it will be more difficult for you to get a bid as a non-freshman, which is compounded by having been released last year. No matter where you're at, I would try to prepare better via getting recs, but be aware that having them is helpful, but it won't guarantee you more invites or a bid.

Best of luck!
I agree that it is always worth another shot! Depending on what school you are at in Florida, the recruitment varies. UF and FSU are much more competitive than schools like UNF, USF, FIU, and UCF, but each is competitive in their own way.

I would take the advice given above! Read up on the threads about recommendations and other related things! If there is anything specific feel free to shoot me a PM.

Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM

We just had a Florida PNM post a thread about rushing at schools in Florida and some FL school alumnae posted some good advice there:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=96195

Keep in mind though that the young lady who posted this is (I believe) a freshman who has never been through recruitment before.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I just read (and reread, just to make sure I understood recs completely) the General Advice thread, and after going on the national NPC website, I found the Alumnae Panhellenic Association nearest where I lived. That particular association is in the Orlando area. There is one thing I am slightly confused about...do I email the president of the association, or the person in charge of recruitment?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Email the woman listed as Secretary/Recruitment.

ETA: I'm guessing you're looking here: http://winterpark-orlando.tripod.com...ation/id1.html

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 05-12-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Email the woman listed as Secretary/Recruitment.

ETA: I'm guessing you're looking here: http://winterpark-orlando.tripod.com...ation/id1.html
Yeah, that's the website.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she goes somewhere with deferred recruitment, because, in her other thread she ponders spring recruitment and laments about her low (college) GPA.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I think she goes somewhere with deferred recruitment, because, in her other thread she ponders spring recruitment and laments about her low (college) GPA.
That would count out a large number of Florida schools...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what?

YES.
Closed Thread